What shares you buying?

I’ve still got a bit with them but sold out and took some profit at the start of the year. They invest in growth stock (whereby they hope the share price will grow significantly) but you’re unlikely to get much income by way of dividends as many of the companies are focussed on reinvesting for expansion. I’ve done really well out of them with about 160% growth in 2 years but I do think some of the stuff they hold is overheating i.e Tesla
I was thinking for more medium to long term, what do you think?

I was thinking for more medium to long term, what do you think?

They look to buy companies with huge growth potential that will disrupt markets. They’ve been brilliant at it for a good length of time (402% over 5 years) so there isn’t anything that points towards them cocking it up.

If you’re a little unsure you can diversify a little by buying other funds alongside it. I like JP Morgan UK equity value as it’s been an unloved share type for a while with some huge multinationals that look undervalued. A few others have mentioned trackers too which are a great low cost option to spread risk too 👍

They look to buy companies with huge growth potential that will disrupt markets. They’ve been brilliant at it for a good length of time (402% over 5 years) so there isn’t anything that points towards them cocking it up.

If you’re a little unsure you can diversify a little by buying other funds alongside it. I like JP Morgan UK equity value as it’s been an unloved share type for a while with some huge multinationals that look undervalued. A few others have mentioned trackers too which are a great low cost option to spread risk too 👍
I've already got "Fundsmith Equities" and " ishares MSCI World ETF" not sure is SM compliments these to be honest? I,ll have a look at that JPM one though, cheers

How do you even start this, is there an App or anything u can do as a beginner? Not talking thousands but a couple hundred here or there I might start doing

I've been using trading 212 (I also have a Halifax Sharedealing account which I rarely use).

Pros:
Trades are free
ISAs are available
App is easy to use and you can buy fractional shares (which is great as a beginner because you can spread your risk and don't need to spend £3k on 1 amazon share or £80k on 1 Lindt share)
You get a free share of somewhere when you are referred (I can share my link if you like - don't get too excited it says up to £100 but mine was worth 8 quid)

Cons:
It has a decent range but not every obscure stock
It's full of the reddit mob so stability has been a bit sketchy recently (not ideal at all for day trading but if you're new to it I'd stay clear of day trading anyway)

Edit: It has funds as well, so if you want a passive investment you can get the Vanguard All World that people have mentioned on here and let the pros do it for you

Last edited:
I've been using trading 212 (I also have a Halifax Sharedealing account which I rarely use).

Pros:
Trades are free
ISAs are available
App is easy to use and you can buy fractional shares (which is great as a beginner because you can spread your risk and don't need to spend £3k on 1 amazon share or £80k on 1 Lindt share)
You get a free share of somewhere when you are referred (I can share my link if you like - don't get too excited it says up to £100 but mine was worth 8 quid)

Cons:
It has a decent range but not every obscure stock
It's full of the reddit mob so stability has been a bit sketchy recently (not ideal at all for day trading but if you're new to it I'd stay clear of day trading anyway)

Edit: It has funds as well, so if you want a passive investment you can get the Vanguard All World that people have mentioned on here and let the pros do it for you

The trading 212 site ain’t taking new members. I guess it’s because of the reddit carry on

The trading 212 site ain’t taking new members. I guess it’s because of the reddit carry on

Probably for the best for now. It's been very rocky over the last few days.

Other thing I'd say is read a bit of warren buffett. I'd a wee bit wary of lots of people jumping on the band wagon recently (myself included to an extent). Wee warning sign of a potential crash on the way?

Probably for the best for now. It's been very rocky over the last few days.

Other thing I'd say is read a bit of warren buffett. I'd a wee bit wary of lots of people jumping on the band wagon recently (myself included to an extent). Wee warning sign of a potential crash on the way?
I read quite a few investing books but what really resonated with me were interviews with Jack Bogle the founder of vanguard.

I read quite a few investing books but what really resonated with me were interviews with Jack Bogle the founder of vanguard.

Really enjoyed that he seems very genuine and an all round nice guy. I think his thoughts and ideas are obviously skewed towards the American population who have a far superior public pension scheme than we do in the UK. I believe its properly earnings related so can be a significant amount.
Touches on reducing your equity's later in life and going to a 60/40 split which interests me. As someone who is likely to rely solely on a drawdown type of pension surely I need to be high in equity's to maintain my pot value and allow me to drawdown sufficient funds? Anyone got any thoughts on this ?

Really enjoyed that he seems very genuine and an all round nice guy. I think his thoughts and ideas are obviously skewed towards the American population who have a far superior public pension scheme than we do in the UK. I believe its properly earnings related so can be a significant amount.
Touches on reducing your equity's later in life and going to a 60/40 split which interests me. As someone who is likely to rely solely on a drawdown type of pension surely I need to be high in equity's to maintain my pot value and allow me to drawdown sufficient funds? Anyone got any thoughts on this ?
Buffett had the idea of leaving his wife 90% of his wealth in a tracker and 10% cash equivalents but it’d be worth billions and she wouldn’t struggle in a downturn.

As for your situation it depends what other assets you have accrued. If you are mortgage free, have the state pension and maybe another pension then you could still afford to have equities in an ISA.

Different assets do different things, have different risks, can have steady or variable value.

In my situation I don’t plan to have any bonds/ fixed interest as I am a member of a local government (defined benefit) pension scheme. In theory if my equities are worth zilch then I shouldn’t starve.

Buffett had the idea of leaving his wife 90% of his wealth in a tracker and 10% cash equivalents but it’d be worth billions and she wouldn’t struggle in a downturn.

As for your situation it depends what other assets you have accrued. If you are mortgage free, have the state pension and maybe another pension then you could still afford to have equities in an ISA.

Different assets do different things, have different risks, can have steady or variable value.

In my situation I don’t plan to have any bonds/ fixed interest as I am a member of a local government (defined benefit) pension scheme. In theory if my equities are worth zilch then I shouldn’t starve.
Nice situation to be in I envy you. Unfortunately all I have at the moment is my equities and my house, drawing down looks to be my only option when the time comes.

Anyone thinking about buying&holding some GME or AMC on Monday morning?
I don't think that's a very good idea. Once this blows over they'll go back to being where they were,all of this carry on doesn't change their intrinsic value and profitability.
Bought some amc last week, now received an email from IG saying can only sell AMC and GME, no buying. Absolute disgrace
If you want to buy them that badly use a different broker.

a friend of mine started zip co ltd, they were trading at $.34 per share in 2017 and are now at $6.44, of course i didn't invest when he told me to because i'm a f***ing idiot.

they're currently trading at $14.50 or so... should keep going up too.

What decline?

FTSE100 up about 20% since October 2020

NASDAQ has been in decline for a couple of weeks now, gold pulling back...
Guessing he means the US tech shares. My UK shares are ok and my carnival cruise ones are looking well at a 8 doller buy in.

But all my US tech shares are taking a pasting. There were plenty of people on this thread who were saying they were overpriced but I got greedy. Should have listened to the smb.

It led the way last year iirc.

Last edited:

Back