What old news story repeatedly pops into your mind now and again

James Bulger
Ian Huntley
The West's
I think that's what motivated Delores O'Riordan to write and release Zombie. Whenever I hear that Cranberries track, whether it's true or not, Warrington's what I think about.
I only read about that for the first te the other week.
The two British soldiers dragged out of their car after stumbling across an IRA funeral sent absolute chills through me when I was a kid.
Watched a documentary about that a while back. Grim. Anything about the troubles I have a morbid fascination with.
Another one I think about regularly is Dunblane, absolutely horrendous. I just can't get my head around how anyone could do that to little children.
Aye that one still puts the chills up me. It would be really easy for that to happen again as well based on my experiences around taking the bairns to school.

Last edited:
For some reason Leah Betts comes to my mind every few months. Was such a big story at the time, and she wasn't far off my age. I spent ages fixated on the story at the time and I still think about it sometimes now.

RIP Leah but the media spin on it was disingenuous to say the least. It wasn’t the first time she’d taken e and she wasn’t a victim of a predatory dealer. Still very sad but truth is the first victim in war.

Assassination of Bobby Kennedy . I'd just turned 10 and for some reason it really upset my mam. She identified with the civil rights struggle quite a lot for a white woman in a council house

Career ending knee Injury X Mental illness X Alcoholism.
Understood.

But it's one of those scenarios as the whole Raol Moet thing unfolded with heavily armed police everywhere, Gazza turning up in the middle of it makes me even now think "Eh?!"

Then there wass the "cuddle the fat lass" incident on the train. For him to walk, it must have been 12 mags making up the jury as he really should have been detained or sectioned even temporarily for a few months for his own good to help him start to sort out his demons. The rest of us would have probably either done a short prison stretch or been expected to seek help for similar.

Princess Di’s death. Came home after a shift at Ku and usually just went to bed, but for some reason got some bait and out the TV on. Sat watching ‘breaking news’ for the first time for a couple of hours not believing what I was seeing.

That and the footage of the first Iraq war. I was too little to understand the horror of war, but something resonated and I could feel this was something big.

Back