Lockerbie
The look on Michael Portillo's face when he lost Enfield
Gulf War
9:11
Iraq War
Brexit

Probably 911.
This.

Was chatting away to the PMO about our monthly review the next day. He messaged me and said “if you are near a TV put the news on”.

I was flying down to Gatwick the next morning, early BA flight. All the changes happened just ahead of us going through the airport.
  1. Got to check in desk, no hand luggage on plane. Ok well I want to take my pen, book and laptop. Yeah that is fine. There is nothing left in the bag. Yes but you still have to check it in.
  2. Everyone patted down whether you set the metal detector off or not.
  3. No metal cutlery in the BA Lounge.
  4. Extra metal detector hastily erected in the corridor to the departure gates and hand searched again.
  5. No metal cutlery on the plane.
  6. Stern looks at anyone who got out of their seat to use the toilet.
  7. Landed at Gatwick and waited over 90 minutes for my empty laptop bag. The baggage handlers couldn't cope with the extra volume of baggage. People next to me crying because they missed their departure on a ‘dream holiday’ to the far east.
  8. Do it all again on the way back because it was only a day trip. From recollection they let me keep the laptop case on the flight back. I suspect they were still reeling from the chaos in the morning.

Soham Murders. Every summer. I think it’s because I was on holiday at the time so reminds me every time I go away somewhere. I remember looking at newspaper headlines waiting for updates and then the horrible news came through.

German cannibal fella and that bloke who let him chop off and cook his little Bratwurst. I wonder if they were disappointed with the flavour.

I think I was too young to remember Leah betts, however I read about it when I found the lyrics one for the road by ocean colour scene were about her death.

Two news stories always shook me when I was a kid:

1. The Black Panther and Lesley Whittle
2. Edward Paisnel - the Jersey rapist who wore a horrific mask and nails in his jacket. The pictures in the paper gave me nightmares as a young kid. Absolutely awful: The Man Behind This Disturbing Mask Was A Serial Rapist Who Preyed On Children And Worshipped The Devil Still makes my blood run cold seeing that.
Wish I hadn't opened that 😱

See what you mean!
Saw the other day he's suing the BBC as they haven't paid him anything for the millions of times the clip has been viewed etc

Last edited:
The Aberfan disaster. I was just turning 10 years old so all those kids being killed like that just shuck me up back then. Sometimes i still think of it.

Especially as there were lots of pit slag heaps still around..one in Boldon where i lived and there was one near the grammar school in Washington when I went there a year later.

Wish I hadn't opened that 😱

See what you mean!

Saw the other day he's suing the BBC as they haven't paid him anything for the millions of times the clip has been viewed etc
I know. I saw that picture for the first time since I was a kid , last year and it still made my blood run cold as an adult.

Lockerbie.

It turned out the bombers didn't realise GMT was different to CET. The bomb was meant to go off over the Atlantic an hour later. They set it for 8.30 CET, but was supposed to be 8.30 GMT.
Still a lot of discussion between experts as to whether some passengers were still alive when the plane crashed (some bodies apparently found clutching handfuls of soil and grass in their fists). Bearing in mind the time between the explosion and the fall to earth, the terror must have been indescribable.

Still a lot of discussion between experts as to whether some passengers were still alive when the plane crashed (some bodies apparently found clutching handfuls of soil and grass in their fists). Bearing in mind the time between the explosion and the fall to earth, the terror must have been indescribable.
"10 years after the catastrophe, the chief pathologist reported that two of the passengers had suffered serious but not fatal wounds. Possibly they froze to death on the ground before the search teams found them in a forest four days later."

Back