What old news story repeatedly pops into your mind now and again

For some reason Leah Betts comes to my mind every few months. Was such a big story at the time, and she wasn't far off my age. I spent ages fixated on the story at the time and I still think about it sometimes now.

The Leah Betts news scarred me for life! I can still see the images in my mind after all these years. Was heavy hitting for sure!

For some reason Leah Betts comes to my mind every few months. Was such a big story at the time, and she wasn't far off my age. I spent ages fixated on the story at the time and I still think about it sometimes now.

3 lads I know got caught with drugs just before this happened. The first 2 went to court before she died & got community service. The trial for the 3rd guy was after she died. He got 2.5 years.

I always wanted to see in the Football Echo when Ray Train played for us:

"Train derails Orient Express!"
After a late equalizer for Wolves - "Venus Mars Roker Day". Always stuck with me.

As for proper news, I have a clear memory of the Challenger disaster on Newsround. And, also on Newsround, I have a strong but possibly fake memory of a picture of the globe with a caption superimposed reading 'Smallpox is dead'. No idea why that sticks in my mind.

Live Aid, also, but I've little recollection of the famine coverage that triggered it all.

I've just been reading up on the Lockerbie Bombing. One thing that is unclear is how the bomb got onto the plane, who put it there?

Some reports say it happened over Lockerbie as the plane departed late, they wanted it to go off over the sea to ensure no evidence could be found or to make it as difficult as possible to find. I can still remember the newsflash when it happened. Was only about 9 year old. Awful. A few weeks later after Xmas the Kegworth accident happened.
The locals of kegworth still talk of the big metal bird that fell, like the village time forgot

blair decalaring we were heading back into Iraq and all the weapons saddam had and we have to stop the madman

Last edited:

Back