What does Dodds need to do to earn the job?

He’s fighting for his job in my view. It’s shit or bust. If he does well they’ll keep him as head coach. If he doesn’t then they’ll be forced to bring in somebody with their own back room staff.

Dodds and Beale didn’t work. I can’t see him stepping back and working with another head coach.

He’s got 5 more games than Beale.
I think you've completely misread the room there mind.

He's loved by the players, Can dish out a telling off without anyone chucking a huff and is for the KLD/Speakman regime.

He's helping us all out by not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire at this stage of the season. Otherwise I suspect we'd be after a manger and a coach come May.

He should get a free pass by everyone and the club needs to recruit the correct manager for the summer

Last edited:
Dodds has a huge problem here.

At the minute he has a stable job at SAFC that could well last for years.

If he was to be offered and accept the manager/head coach job permanently - then he knows that he is on borrowed time at SAFC. The average length is say 18 months in the job, and that's if he does ok - and at the end he is out of a job and says goodbye to SAFC.

There is now way having been offered the job full time he could forever play Passy the parcel with the managers/head coaches job and his current role - so he would be finished at SAFC.

A one for him to ponder.

Dodds will inherit the same issues that hampered Mowbray and Beale. The lack of a striker worth the name and a lack of bite in midfield. He’s also got to address a goalkeeper suffering his first dip in form in his career.

If he keeps the side in the top half of the table he’ll have done a reasonable job.

Whoever they appoint in the summer needs to be given the basic tools to do the job otherwise the whole sorry cycle will repeat itself.
So the same problem previous managers have fallen foul of. Let’s hope speakman and kld learn from their past mess ups

I think Dodds would be better off seeing out the rest of this season and going to maybe leage 1 as a manager to get some experience

I don't think he should be considered.

I think we've made the mistake of a short term appointment being made longer due to results too many times (di canio, advocat and now Mowbray all fall into that category off the top of my head) and I think we should hire a new manager this summer.

That said if he does win the playoffs I'd imagine he'd be given the job

If he did get us into the play-offs, taking over from a position where we are 7 points off it, that would be a job well done and he'd definitely put himself in contention.
If he got us promoted on top of that.... he'd surely get the job, no?

I'd doubt he wants it, the playoffs have gone barring something remarkable, he needs to get a feel good atmosphere back and the team need to be seen to be enjoying the game again ... they could do with showing better conditioning too.

Leave the team in a better place than it is now, in terms of attitude and effort (which should help results!), and hand it over to whoever the club dredge up to take the reins and hes done his job for me.

Back