What does Dodds need to do to earn the job?

MadMackem10

Midfield
13 games left. Realistically, what would it take from Dodds and the team for you to be convinced he’s the right person for next season?

I don't think he gets it permanently unless we make the playoffs.

KLD/Speakman wanted to get rid of Mowbray last summer and had reached out to Farioli etc when it looked like we were done and dusted last year, we then sneak into the playoffs and they feel they can't sack him off the back of that. We're then blown off course, the relationship is soured with Mowbray as he knows they wanted him gone, the rest is history...

They won't want a repeat of that. My guess is they're going again for Still in the summer with reduced compo.

Could well be the case but if the rest of the season goes well seems a bit mad to take a step back down
It was going reasonably well for him in the last interim period, and was apparently offered it till end of the season and turned it down - hence we went for Beale.

I don’t think he wants the top gig because of the pressure it puts you under, get it wrong and you get sacked. He might just see himself as more of a coach.

He’s fighting for his job in my view. It’s shit or bust. If he does well they’ll keep him as head coach. If he doesn’t then they’ll be forced to bring in somebody with their own back room staff.

Dodds and Beale didn’t work. I can’t see him stepping back and working with another head coach.

He’s got 5 more games than Beale.

He didn't want it last time, not sure why he's took this time, only time will tell if its right for him and the club, However (and this isn't anything against Mike Dodds) but he's a Speakman coach and has outlasted a few managers already at sunderland so being an assistant isn't maybe a bad thing in football especially sunderland, just ask Michael Beale....

He’s fighting for his job in my view. It’s shit or bust. If he does well they’ll keep him as head coach. If he doesn’t then they’ll be forced to bring in somebody with their own back room staff.

Dodds and Beale didn’t work. I can’t see him stepping back and working with another head coach.

He’s got 5 more games than Beale.
I’m assuming he will always have a coaching role in the short term at least, maybe not as the number 2 to the next head honcho though, so maybe a drop down the pecking order then

He didn't want it last time, not sure why he's took this time, only time will tell if its right for him and the club, However (and this isn't anything against Mike Dodds) but he's a Speakman coach and has outlasted a few managers already at sunderland so being an assistant isn't maybe a bad thing in football especially sunderland, just ask Michael Beale....
Not sure he had much choice, no chance of a new manager coming in at short notice bearing in mind the fuck up of the last one. Gotta give him respect for shouldering the burden till summer regardless of results.
We are safe from relegation so nothings gonna really go south now till the end

Dodds will inherit the same issues that hampered Mowbray and Beale. The lack of a striker worth the name and a lack of bite in midfield. He’s also got to address a goalkeeper suffering his first dip in form in his career.

If he keeps the side in the top half of the table he’ll have done a reasonable job.

Whoever they appoint in the summer needs to be given the basic tools to do the job otherwise the whole sorry cycle will repeat itself.

Get into the playoffs or do everything we can to. If he doesn't finish at least 7th having got unlucky not to make it then I don't think he should be considered.

Back