What do you think about this?

I have a pal who used to do this, it turned out he was depressed and needed just to talk
he didn't want help or advice just someone to talk to.
To save me going nuts I either didn't answer or cut the call short with a lie.
he is quite well now.

I spoke to someone about it yesterday & they suggested lying to get out of the calls quick. Fuck that, I'm not a liar. I'll just have to not answer. Most of the time, I'm either working or doing something anyway.
I'm beginning think his mates lass might have dumped him or become a Lesbian or such like and he's filling the void with Freds Secrets ?!?

No. He's still very much together & very happy with his Mrs.
He might only be talking shit because he can't bring himself to say somethings wrong.

Well, he'd want to say it if there's something wrong & stop wasting my time.
BUT HE’S RINGING TO CHAT SHIT

Exactly. You finally seem to be getting it.

Last edited:
I spoke to someone about it yesterday & they suggested lying to get out of the calls quick. Fuck that, I'm not a liar. I'll just have to not answer. Most of the time, I'm either working or doing something anyway.

I've had this problem before but I'm a lass, as was the person calling me all the time, so it wasn't particularly unusual. She was a new friend and only lived 5 mins away and would sometimes turn up at the door if I hadn't answered a call! I didn't answer the door either! It got too much. Like the situation with your friend, there wasn't anything wrong, she just liked talking on the phone! But I don't 🤷‍♀️, especially at 9/10 o'clock at night! It was pretty awkward, I didn't want to say anything to hurt her feelings, so just ignored the majority of calls. She stopped eventually.

I've had this problem before but I'm a lass, as was the person calling me all the time, so it wasn't particularly unusual. She was a new friend and only lived 5 mins away and would sometimes turn up at the door if I hadn't answered a call! I didn't answer the door either! It got too much. Like the situation with your friend, there wasn't anything wrong, she just liked talking on the phone! But I don't 🤷‍♀️, especially at 9/10 o'clock at night! It was pretty awkward, I didn't want to say anything to hurt her feelings, so just ignored the majority of calls. She stopped eventually.

But...but...but... there must have been an underlying issue. The professionals on here said so. 🤷‍♂️

But...but...but... there must have been an underlying issue. The professionals on here said so. 🤷‍♂️
Talking on the phone too much was the underlying issue with my friend! 😂 We are still in touch now and she is completely fine (but maybe she has someone new to ring all the time)! It is awkward, but hopefully your mate will get the hint if you dont answer.

One of my very good friends, for the last couple of months, at least, is ringing me constantly. Constantly. Now, pretty much everyone I'd consider myself to be good friends with, unless we've a night out or something coming up, we might only speak once every few weeks, if that. That's enough. All other contact is sending childish videos on WhatsApp etc. We don't feel the need to ring each other constantly for a chat. When we meet up for a few pints every so often, that when the catching up is done.

As it stands, he's rang me 17 times in the last 20 days. Sometimes twice a day. Is that normal in anyone's opinion? Some calls I'm not able to answer, some I chose not to & some I do. It's driving me absolutely insane. There's no possible way of me telling him to just relax with all the phone calls without him more than likely getting offended. I honestly don't know why he's ringing me so much. He doesn't ring his Mrs that much. I spoke to him on Friday, he rang twice on Saturday, once yesterday & again today. I mean, FFS, please give me a break.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this without falling out with him?
have you pinched his/her pencil case

One of my very good friends, for the last couple of months, at least, is ringing me constantly. Constantly. Now, pretty much everyone I'd consider myself to be good friends with, unless we've a night out or something coming up, we might only speak once every few weeks, if that. That's enough. All other contact is sending childish videos on WhatsApp etc. We don't feel the need to ring each other constantly for a chat. When we meet up for a few pints every so often, that when the catching up is done.

As it stands, he's rang me 17 times in the last 20 days. Sometimes twice a day. Is that normal in anyone's opinion? Some calls I'm not able to answer, some I chose not to & some I do. It's driving me absolutely insane. There's no possible way of me telling him to just relax with all the phone calls without him more than likely getting offended. I honestly don't know why he's ringing me so much. He doesn't ring his Mrs that much. I spoke to him on Friday, he rang twice on Saturday, once yesterday & again today. I mean, FFS, please give me a break.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this without falling out with him?
One of my mates rings instead of texting, but that only once a week..... which is weird enough

He’d ring more if we all didn’t tell him it’s weird, jokingly. I call him out when he rings too, ‘fuck me, you love a phone call lad’

If he asks I tell him I don’t particularly like using the phone, and at the end of the call I ask him if he could have gotten the answers over text

All in good jest but he takes the hint

He’s still my mate

One of my mates rings instead of texting, but that only once a week..... which is weird enough

He’d ring more if we all didn’t tell him it’s weird, jokingly. I call him out when he rings too, ‘fuck me, you love a phone call lad’

If he asks I tell him I don’t particularly like using the phone, and at the end of the call I ask him if he could have gotten the answers over text

All in good jest but he takes the hint

He’s still my mate

It's gone past the joking stage. When I see his name coming up on the phone, I actually get pissed off. I'll be under pressure now doing something some day & he'll ring & I'll just scream down the phone for him to fuck off.

It's gone past the joking stage. When I see his name coming up on the phone, I actually get pissed off. I'll be under pressure now doing something some day & he'll ring & I'll just scream down the phone for him to fuck off.

Easy way to get out of it without faking your own death.
Pull the old switcheroo.
Start ringing him all the time. At times you know will be a problem to him. Match him call for call.

He calls you about a knife? You call him about a gun.
He rings you when you're at hospital, you ring him when he's at the morgue. That's the Chicago way, and that's the way to do it if you wanna get rid of this creep.

Do this but in a Liam Neeson voice.
IMO this should be response on the 2nd call. Got to give him a chance on the 1st.
Do you have an extremely sexy phone voice? He might be having BSVFSPWs.

There are a lot of blokes that seem happy but are actually falling apart.
Take Gary Speed as an example.

As you said, men don't call for a chat - but they also don't talk about feeling like shit.
Maybe just ask him again whether he is actually ok and suggest the increased volume of calls would suggest he wants to chat about 'something'.

He might have a bet with the other lads to see how long you'll answer before addressing the situation ;)

Last edited:

Back