What do you think about this?

One of my very good friends, for the last couple of months, at least, is ringing me constantly. Constantly. Now, pretty much everyone I'd consider myself to be good friends with, unless we've a night out or something coming up, we might only speak once every few weeks, if that. That's enough. All other contact is sending childish videos on WhatsApp etc. We don't feel the need to ring each other constantly for a chat. When we meet up for a few pints every so often, that when the catching up is done.

As it stands, he's rang me 17 times in the last 20 days. Sometimes twice a day. Is that normal in anyone's opinion? Some calls I'm not able to answer, some I chose not to & some I do. It's driving me absolutely insane. There's no possible way of me telling him to just relax with all the phone calls without him more than likely getting offended. I honestly don't know why he's ringing me so much. He doesn't ring his Mrs that much. I spoke to him on Friday, he rang twice on Saturday, once yesterday & again today. I mean, FFS, please give me a break.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this without falling out with him?

One of my very good friends, for the last couple of months, at least, is ringing me constantly. Constantly. Now, pretty much everyone I'd consider myself to be good friends with, unless we've a night out or something coming up, we might only speak once every few weeks, if that. That's enough. All other contact is sending childish videos on WhatsApp etc. We don't feel the need to ring each other constantly for a chat. When we meet up for a few pints every so often, that when the catching up is done.

As it stands, he's rang me 17 times in the last 20 days. Sometimes twice a day. Is that normal in anyone's opinion? Some calls I'm not able to answer, some I chose not to & some I do. It's driving me absolutely insane. There's no possible way of me telling him to just relax with all the phone calls without him more than likely getting offended. I honestly don't know why he's ringing me so much. He doesn't ring his Mrs that much. I spoke to him on Friday, he rang twice on Saturday, once yesterday & again today. I mean, FFS, please give me a break.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this without falling out with him?
well whats the crack? is he ringing asking stuff? generic hiya how you doing?

one of my pals used to ring all the time, he wasn't much of a texter and hed call when on a fag break at work or something.

whats prompted the change in behaviour?

No, he's not depressed or suicidal, if that's what you're thinking. He just rings for a chat. That's it! Men don't chat on the phone as often as that. We just don't.

Besides, neither of our lives are exciting enough to be on the phone with news that often.
But why has that changed in the last two months? What was it like before?

I'd be asking him what's wrong and if he says nowt I'd be livid with him. There has to be an issue for this to suddenly start.

Trust me, there's no issue. & OK, if there is, he'd want to get it out in the open for fuck sake.

He's happy out with his Mrs and kids. We were out on the lash at Christmas, had a great night. He's genuinely a good friend, which is why I don't want to fall out with him, by coming across as an odd prick.

I'd be asking him what's wrong and if he says nowt I'd be livid with him. There has to be an issue for this to suddenly start.
This. But wouldn't be livid. If he's a mate, talk it out and then tell him to knock it off. Assuming there isnt a reason for the sudden change

But why has that changed in the last two months? What was it like before?

He just didn't ring as much as he is now. Which was absolutely fine. Nothing has changed, except for the amount of phone calls.
This. But wouldn't be livid. If he's a mate, talk it out and then tell him to knock it off. Assuming there isnt a reason for the sudden change

How do I do that without him getting the hump even a small bit?
A lot of the time, he's ringing when he's driving home from work. I'm actually working then. He's just looking for someone to pass the time with for the drive home.

Last edited:
He just didn't ring as much as he is now. Which was absolutely fine. Nothing has changed, except for the amount of phone calls.

How do I do that without him getting the hump even a small bit?

There must be something up. If not like you say just be honest and say that you're not happy with phone calls every day etc. If he takes the huff there isnt much you can do.

Trust me, there's no issue. & OK, if there is, he'd want to get it out in the open for fuck sake.

He's happy out with his Mrs and kids. We were out on the lash at Christmas, had a great night. He's genuinely a good friend, which is why I don't want to fall out with him, by coming across as an odd prick.
You are not as it sounds a bit ott. Gan for a pint and ask?

There must be something up. If not like you say just be honest and say that you're not happy with phone calls every day etc. If he takes the huff there isnt much you can do.

No matter what, I'm going to come across as being a prick if I do that. I don't want that to happen when I'm doing nothing wrong.

No matter what, I'm going to come across as being a prick if I do that. I don't want that to happen when I'm doing nothing wrong.
Guess so. No other way. Only 2 options for me,

Keep taking the calls
Have the chat

Seems strange for it just to start, that bit would have me baffled.

Back