What do you think about this?

Yeah had a few of these over the years, one guy would ring me every night and tell me about festivals he went to years ago, he'd tell me the same stories over and over - I binned him off as a mate because it was doing my head in.

Just ask him, as tactfully as possible, "as a mate, do you mind if I ask, is everything ok ?
it's just that you've suddenly started to phone me a lot lately, which you never used to do, and I was wondering if everything is ok"

Hopefully, he'll appreciate your concern, and he may well explain the reason behind his frequent phone calls.

I speak to only one of my mates, once a fortnight, for a couple of minutes on the day afore a match, just to see where we're meeting for a pre match drink.

He's ringing for a chat. To talk shit.

Your last paragraph says it all. Blokes generally don't speak on the phone.

There’s an underlying issue you haven’t spotted IMO. Even though you say there is no issue, that’s a significant change in behaviour.

I know it's a significant change in behaviour. That's why I've started the thread.

This has been going on since maybe November. If there's an issue, he's had plenty of time to bring it up.

He'll understandably think I'm telling him to stop ringing me, more like. & even then, he'll be second guessing himself then, thinking "OK, is it OK to ring him now"? Fuck that, I don't want to try to control my friends. At least this thread is confirmation that it is actually weird behaviour. My Mrs just thinks I'm being an odd twat.

I spoke to him on Friday, told him that I was going for a meal with the wife and kids on Saturday night. He rang on Saturday, I missed the call. He rang on Saturday night when I was in the restaurant & I just texted him telling him where I was. He rang yesterday, I had my hands full with the kids so couldn't answer. He then texted me last night asking what the food was like the night before. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe he isn't a mate

He'll understandably think I'm telling him to stop ringing me, more like. & even then, he'll be second guessing himself then, thinking "OK, is it OK to ring him now"? Fuck that, I don't want to try to control my friends. At least this thread is confirmation that it is actually weird behaviour. My Mrs just thinks I'm being an odd twat.

I spoke to him on Friday, told him that I was going for a meal with the wife and kids on Saturday night. He rang on Saturday, I missed the call. He rang on Saturday night when I was in the restaurant & I just texted him telling him where I was. He rang yesterday, I had my hands full with the kids so couldn't answer. He then texted me last night asking what the food was like the night before. 🤷‍♂️
He might just love to phone you because he thinks you have amazing crack and banter?

Back