What do you identify the city of Sunderland as been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a beautiful city with no real no-go areas and plenty of nice areas to live. Loads of class parks too and the beaches are amazing.
Unfortunately, due to a load of factors, the city centre looks like it's recovering from a nuclear winter that hit sometime around 1984.
You really believe that?

Really? I think it's definitely improved over the past 20 years. Agree it can be a bit scruffy but even there they've done some good work recently in cleaning up the pavements. I guess the depressing thing is a state of mind. Unfortunately, and I hate saying this, we have too many people who are not just uneducated but seem to revel in their ignorance. Sounds condescending but changing the way people think seems to be the biggest challenge.

I think these things go hand-in-hand with the lack of local economy. If people had good work opportunities to stay for, they wouldn't leave. I love Sunderland and I'm very proud to be from there but I couldn't move back unless I was prepared to take a big financial hit and I'm not even a person obsessed with my salary, I'd happily knock a few grand off if I could move home.

Sadly when the bulk of your populous are on the bread line they won't have the time nor finance to explore more cultured pastimes. This conversation has been had ad nauseum on here.

I seen some moron on facebook bemoaning the fact that Bruges puts Sunderland to shame and blaming this on our labour council.

Like most of the historical county of Durham it's very poorly marketed.

Teesdale/Weardale is beautiful, as nice if not nicer than the Yorkshire dales

Durham Cathedral is as good if not better than Canterbury or York

Sunderland is a city that has had its trouble (like most former industrial towns) but seems to be on the up. By comparison Hull tries incredibly hard to market itself and Sunderland should do the same
Agreed, but very poorly marketed, especially Weardale. Wolsingham is dying on its arse. It could be such a vibrant tourist trap, but sadly probably never will be?

Sunderland - Where Being Is Been

I could do this slogan thing for a living, I reckon.

Is it a port city, or an industrial city or something else.

It's a town with an illustrious past. Once home to the biggest shipbuilding port in the world and the best football team in the country.

It's no coincidence that being exiled from County Durham has seen a decline in her fortunes. 'Time to come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back