What are you doing with your extra time in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning Spanish, playing the saxophone and gardening for me, things I do anyway but I'm building on normal levels.

The theory behind better mental health is supposedly to set achievable goals and also try to do something we have an interest in. We are then more likely to meet these goals and feel that we are making some progress at the end of the day.

Still working every day (home office) and surprised how busy I've been actually.
In addition I started building myself a workbench in the garage yesterday and have got myself an adaptor that turns my drill into a circular saw and a metal cutter/ grinder so gonna do a bit hobbying stuff. It's right next to me beer fridge as well so what could possibly go wrong.

Now THAT`S proper man stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m living alone, quite enjoyed it but just starting to struggle

it’s lack of company but also the idea I’m not being productive enough I guess,thinking should work on CV or learn new skill, but lacking motivation a bit

Been reading lots, computer games, baking!

anything I’m missing out on?!?
The open university offer a wide range of short free courses online. You also get a certificate to stick on your wall if you are that way inclined.

Exercising.
Short courses on Future Learn FutureLearn: Online Courses and Degrees from Top Universities
Doing all the jobs I never had time to do: decluttering, DIY jobs, tidying the garden etc.
Online surveys that pay in Amazon vouchers. I've earned enough to buy a new rake so I can sort out the thatch on the lawn.
Spent more time with the bairns playing games and watching stuff.

The first couple of weeks were hard and I had a proper mental wobble about it. It's helped doing things and building a new daily routine so I feel busy.

Jetwashed the drive, patio and paving the other day.

Been planning on getting the garage sorted, more storage, getting rid of loads of junk when I can. Already got my workbench and fishing gear sorted out in there.

Also looking at upskilling my Excel skills. They're ok at the minute but with the job I'm on now, could do with a bit more knowledge - pivot tables and the likes. Anyone know of any decent online courses?
Pluralsite are doing a free months, they have courses for most stuff.

Reactions: Red
Did a bit pointing on mw garage wall yesterday..had half a tin of Cuprinol so covered the moss on me back fence..got a list of jobs to do but I can't be arsed today.

I love reading the posts where people are making the most of this time and leraning new stuff and new skills. Top lads and lasses.

I'm doing one week on, one week off with the kids so I've gone from last week trying to work from home, home school and entertain a 6 and 7 year old to pretty much nothing but work and silence this week.

I prefer having them around to be honest even if it does take up every waking second.

Trying to vary it throughout the day, usually go for a walk first thing in the morning while it is quiet, while listening to an audiobook while I am walking. When I get home I meditate and do energy mindful body energy exercises. I also started writing a book, something I have been wanting to do for years but then last week took the bull by the horns and started, at the moment usually spend approximately an hour or so each day on that. Afternoon usually involves a couple of hours on my PS4 and then evening cuddled up with the wife watching Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Must be really hard if your long time unemployed( but trying to get a job) to motivate yourself to do something constructive with your day. Judging by the posts on here from employed people it is a struggle being at home all day.

Must be really hard if your long time unemployed( but trying to get a job) to motivate yourself to do something constructive with your day. Judging by the posts on here from employed people it is a struggle being at home all day.
As I work away all week, its been really strange for everyone in the household. Our lass (no) has her own routine for stuff when I'm not here, so initially there was a bit of friction as I was ruining that routine. We're ok now though. On top of that, I'm working from home, so actually get time to do stuff in the house, instead of trying to cram it into the weekend when I'm here.

I love reading the posts where people are making the most of this time and leraning new stuff and new skills. Top lads and lasses.

Thanks marra.
Honestly, I’m exhausted looking after the kids and trying to squeeze a job in as well. All personal hobbies or fun has pretty much evaporated.

I did start painting by numbers just to focus the kind and try to stop stress a while ago but I’m usually too knackered on an evening to do it. I know some child free friends have a bit more time and have cleaned their houses and started to learn a new skill. I’m jealous.

Alreet for these who haven't got work and are being paid to chill out. Bassas :lol:

Last edited:
Or if I am in the garden it’s to the soundtrack of “mammy! Mammy! Mammy! Mammy! I need a wee!”
Aye literally as soon as you sit down for a moments rest - they fire up :D

Went out for some sun but it went behind a cloud and was freezing.

Between working full time and looking after the bairn i have less spare time than i ever thought possible. Yesterday was the first day in a fortnight i've had any real time to myself but i was that knackered i did next to nothing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back