What’s West Boldon Like?

I had family on Boldon Colliery as a kid, think I got taken there as an example of what the modern world looked like.

Must be insular folk to keep separating themselves from their family and neighbours, Boldon, West Boldon, East Boldon and Boldon Colliery.
Branch of the family on the maternal side hail from Boldon Colliery, think they're still living pre wwii.

Grey horse and Black Bull are decent as well imo. Beggars Bridge ok during the week but full of bellend weekend millionaire types on a weeken
Mid Boldon Club is canny as well, sells 2 or 3 real ales, which is generally the sign of a decent place, and is rare for a club in the North East. Snooker table and Sky Tv

Used to live there, good options for pubs in Bowldon. The Wheatsheef is the Sunderland MLF boozer. Always remember a bloke in with a walking stick in there who absolutely hated the mags, he was the angriest man I think I’ve ever seen.

I lived on Hardie Drive, was nice enough but there was a couple of big police incidents there one death and big drugs bust in Owen drive, Apart from that ( 😂 ) I liked living there.
I used to live on Burns Avenue, just down the road! Grew up there.

Never been in mate. Always assumed a membership was needed to get in

A club is a club, ideally you would have membership, as that is the whole point of it, but with crowds falling, I've never found it a problem entering a club without membership over the last 25 years or so. Didn't have a problem when I went to Mid Boldon, although if I was local I would join, as its generally only a few quid, and for a good cause, all monies ploughed back into keeping the place open and depending on the success of the club, other benefits such as entertainment, days out etc. Mid Boldon has often won CAMRA North East club of the year award, so I would recommend checking it out yourself.
Never been in mate. Always assumed a membership was needed to get in

Last edited:

Back