West Indians in local leagues

Yes Darren Ramshaw

Poolynorm Bobby had moved on it was Winka Watson at the other end in those days, with Alan Clark (ex Sacriston) and a young Davy Showler.
I don't remember him at all.

Pretty sure the North Durham pro at the time I played against Martyn was an Aussie who lived over here and coached at Durham school, but I can't remember his name.

Saying that, my memory is f@cking dreadful when it comes to things like that.

Pretty sure the North Durham pro at the time I played against Martyn was an Aussie who lived over here and coached at Durham school, but I can't remember his name.

EDIT - I've just remembered. Was it not Michael Fishwick who was the North Durham pro when Damien Martyn was there or was that a different year?

Last edited:
Yes Darren Ramshaw

Poolynorm Bobby had moved on it was Winka Watson at the other end in those days, with Alan Clark (ex Sacriston) and a young Davy Showler.
I've got the scars that Bobby was bowling alongside Denison in the defunct County League in 1997.Colin Watson was skipper, pretty sure Dicka was playing alongside Crossling,maybe John Moralee and Graham Wilkinson.Davey Showler was probably in Seconds with Tot and Ged 🤔 Can't recall Alan Clark playing

EDIT - I've just remembered. Was it not Michael Fishwick who was the North Durham pro when Damien Martyn was there or was that a different year?
Fishwick was a good 3/4 years later iirc
Whatever these pro’s were paid.Parry provided the most value for money.
Practically nailed on to get 50 runs and/or 5 wickets every game.
Perhaps Jimmy Adam’s another contender.
He was a pro in every sense of the word, in cup ties always played the game situation perfectly.

Horden while he was there used to reach 6/7 cup finals every year.

Mind they used to enter about 13 every year!! there seemed to be a cup game with that team almost every night, how marriages survived I have no idea:D

Mind different era, Horden had a good league side in those days, but a brilliant cup side!!

Last edited:
Whatever these pro’s were paid.Parry provided the most value for money.
Practically nailed on to get 50 runs and/or 5 wickets every game.
Perhaps Jimmy Adam’s another contender.

He played the match situation perfect whatever it may have been especially in cup ties. If they needed to knock 100 off he'd just keep that scoreboard ticking over not doing nowt reckless for instance. New exactly when he needed to go for it or dig in. The ultimate team player.

No mate definitely Rammy when Damien Martyn was over.

Last edited:
Was playing in a preseason match one year for Eppleton - sometime in the 80s.

Max Alleyne, then the Whitburn pro, came into our dressing room, and started cracking on with the lads. A short while later, we were also joined by Vince Hilaire (not the Crystal Palace footballer) who was the pro at Eppleton Colliery Welfare. Shortly after, they were joined by a third West Indian quickie, who was also a pro locally.

After a while, one of them asked "Are you the pro here Max ?". Max said he wasn't. Once they worked out that none of them were our pro, Max asked us "Who's the pro here, lads ?".

The answer came from the back of the room in a South African accent: "I'm the professional." - Alan Elgar

The temperature in the room dropped by ten degrees...
In fairness, Alan Elgar was a lovely lad.

Last edited:
Always remember Jimmy Adams at Eppleton. I went to an England Vs New Zealand game 1996 at the Riverside and he was just walking about, managed to get my sun hat signed by him which I still have :lol: . Scorecard here if any were at the game Full Scorecard of NZ U19 vs England U19 1st Youth ODI 1996 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com
Must've missed you mate 😉 👍
No mate Bobby had moved on 2 or 3 years prior, we had Rajiv Nayar the season before and Gavin Corcoran the year before that in the County league and Bobby didn't play for us in any of those seasons.
Bobby definitely played alongside Denison Thomas in 1997 .Stewy Ford was probably scorer .Like I've said I have a permanent scar from what turned out to be my finale from the game.

Last edited:

Back