West Indians in local leagues

Or a club batsman with an average of 18 facing Wes Hall.

Not uncommon up here. Courtney Walsh and Ian Bishop tearing in a Tynedale, Wasim Akram at Burnopfield. While not in their class Nixon McLean and Chris Matthews touched 90mph in international cricket and bowled for the likes of Evenwood, Whickham etc. My mate got Richie Richardson out with his military medium pace. :lol:

Some of the ones I played against (and in the same side as), in no particular order:

Ritchie Richardson - Burnmoor/Gateshead Fell;
Jimmy Adams - Eppleton;
Philo Wallace - Sunderland;
Colwyn Cort - Sunderland;
Sylvester Clark - Sunderland?;
Whitmore Quinn - Philadelphia;
Ken McCleod - South Shields;
Victor Walcott - South Shields;
Patterson Thompson - Whitburn;
Nixon McClean - Can't remember;
Wes Thomas - Blaydon;
Dennison Thomas - Can't remember.

In those days, nearly every weekend brought you face-to-face with someone of that standard.

Some of the ones I played against (and in the same side as), in no particular order:

Jimmy Adams - Eppleton;
Wes Thomas - Blaydon;

In those days, nearly every weekend brought you face-to-face with someone of that standard.

Mclean was at Philli iirc. Had him and ridley jacobs at same time, one supposedly their overseas amateur :lol:

Not uncommon up here. Courtney Walsh and Ian Bishop tearing in a Tynedale, Wasim Akram at Burnopfield. While not in their class Nixon McLean and Chris Matthews touched 90mph in international cricket and bowled for the likes of Evenwood, Whickham etc. My mate got Richie Richardson out with his military medium pace. :lol:

:lol: Probably caught in two minds. Didn't know whether to hit him for 4 or 6.

I saw Wasim Raja play at Durham City and they lost the ball into the river about once an over.

:lol: Probably caught in two minds. Didn't know whether to hit him for 4 or 6.

I saw Wasim Raja play at Durham City and they lost the ball into the river about once an over.
On my Senior League First team debut I tried to stop a Wasim Raja cover drive and it tore open the webbing between my index finger and thumb. Many stitches were required and I didn't play again that season until 10 weeks later.

For the Seconds.

Welcome to the big league.

Thanks Waz.

On my Senior League First team debut I tried to stop a Wasim Raja cover drive and it tore open the webbing between my index finger and thumb. Many stitches were required and I didn't play again that season until 10 weeks later.

For the Seconds.

Welcome to the big league.

Thanks Waz.

Who did you play for mate?

Jimmy Adams - Eppleton;
Wes Thomas - Blaydon;

Derrick Parry played for Horden at the same time as a lot of them and was simply a class act as both a cricketer and a bloke.

Back