West Indians in local leagues

Mind remember playing against Azad when he was pro at Sunderland, If I remember rightly he was a hell of a bat and maybe was top runscorer in the league that season.

He was only there the one season though?
I played with him in the game he broke the run record and I took 5/34 at Ch Le St
Derrick Parry played for Horden at the same time as a lot of them and was simply a class act as both a cricketer and a bloke.
I met him on Honeymoon in Antigua in 97 he was manager of Nevis. Spent an evening with him to reminisce of the many a drunken night at Horden once a year. He could sink it as much as he could turn the ball.

Last edited:

Belmont played v Hetton Lyons who had Brian Murphy. He murdered them. I remember Desmond Collymore up at the Lyons when I was a mini trundler. A lovely bloke and excellent cricketer.
I can remember playing against Murphy for Horden in a cup tie. We needed 7 to win off one ball.
He bowled a wide and our player then smashed his last ball for 6. His captain (Paul Walker ) was not impressed.
In a cup game at the lyons, he was bowling the last over and the opposition needed 7 of the last ball, the last ball he bowled a wide and said to the captain...don't worry he's not going to hit me for a six...next ball out of the ground
Yep it was against Horden I was playing for Horden.
His captain Paul Walker was furious.
Didnt get retained the next season.
In a cup game at the lyons, he was bowling the last over and the opposition needed 7 of the last ball, the last ball he bowled a wide and said to the captain...don't worry he's not going to hit me for a six...next ball out of the ground

Last edited:
I can remember playing against Murphy for Horden in a cup tie. We needed 7 to win off one ball.
He bowled a wide and our player then smashed his last ball for 6. His captain (Paul Walker ) was not impressed.

His Mrs ran off with Merv Dillon as well

Denison Thomas was the only player to score 1000 runs and take 100 wickets in a season in Tyneside Senior League history, when he was at South Moor now sadly defunct.
He signed for Kimblesworth in 1994 and won the County League in his first season.
He played 4 seasons at KCC scoring 3765 runs at 42.6 and taking 442 wickets at 12.7. He scored 8 League hundreds in his first 3 seasons and 5 in his final season.
He was a superb player.

Denison Thomas was the only player to score 1000 runs and take 100 wickets in a season in Tyneside Senior League history, when he was at South Moor now sadly defunct.
He signed for Kimblesworth in 1994 and won the County League in his first season.
He played 4 seasons at KCC scoring 3765 runs at 42.6 and taking 442 wickets at 12.7. He scored 8 League hundreds in his first 3 seasons and 5 in his final season.
He was a superb player.
Played against him in a 20-over cup match. Square cut him for four and as I passed him said something like 'No bounce in this wicket, brother'.

I never got close to hitting the remainder of the over.

He was alright about it though, even helped me shift the telly in the bar onto a high shelf after the game.

Played against him in a 20-over cup match. Square cut him for four and as I passed him said something like 'No bounce in this wicket, brother'.

I never got close to hitting the remainder of the over.

He was alright about it though, even helped me shift the telly in the bar onto a high shelf after the game.
They were great days when all the clubs had young up and coming pros, the 80's and 90s were class.

Out of all these big name pros did any do as longer stint than what Parry did at Horden?
No - I can't recall any of the big names pros with a similar or greater longevity.
They were great days when all the clubs had young up and coming pros, the 80's and 90s were class.
In the DSL you were also allowed an 'overseas amateur', so the actual pro would often bring over a youngster from their home league or club.

In many cases they were better than the actual pro - I can remember North Durham had Damien Martyn as their 'amateur' the season before he went to Gateshead Fell as pro (I think).

Last edited:
He was a superb player.
Not a bad double act with Bobby Orton 😉

No - I can't recall any of the big names pros with a similar or greater longevity.

In the DSL you were also allowed an 'overseas amateur', so the actual pro would often bring over a youngster from their home league or club.

In many cases they were better than the actual pro - I can remember North Durham had Damien Martyn as their 'amateur' the season before he went to Gateshead Fell as pro (I think).
Yeah pretty sure the Aussie pro at North Durham who brought over Martyn was a guy called Ramshaw

Back