West Indians in local leagues

Can't believe I forgot Parry - He was actually the one I meant to include first on the list. I even googled him to make sure I knew how to spell his name correctly. Ffs.

Mind remember playing against Azad when he was pro at Sunderland, If I remember rightly he was a hell of a bat and maybe was top runscorer in the league that season.

He was only there the one season though?

At that time, Sunderland CC. Wasim was pro at Philly. Sunderland's pro was an Indian called Kirti Azad.
If this was at ashbrooke I was there as a bairn with my dad watching. Got my photo took with wasim raja. Don't think azad got many and wouldn't have his photo took with me :(.

Mind remember playing against Azad when he was pro at Sunderland, If I remember rightly he was a hell of a bat and maybe was top runscorer in the league that season.

He was only there the one season though?

Yeah. Top run scorer that year. Signed a contract to come back the next year but there were issues over the amount and he ended up not coming.

I can remember him having a bet with one of the lads that he could clear the rugby grandstand at Ashbrooke. He hit one that just clipped the apex of the roof and turned to the dressing room with his arms spread, as if to say, "there you go".

"It hit the roof," came the reply.

"Ok," he shouts back, "next ball".

Telling everyone in the ground what he was going to try and do - including, obviously, the bowler.

Didn't matter. The next ball cleared the roof by yards and he won his bet.

Probably gets done regularly with today's bats.

If this was at ashbrooke I was there as a bairn with my dad watching. Got my photo took with wasim raja. Don't think azad got many and wouldn't have his photo took with me :(.

Was at Philly in a pre-season game. The clubs used to play every year for a inter-club trophy - don't know if they still do it. It was my first game after moving up from the Coast League.

Think he's deed actually :eek:

Died 11 years ago.

Remember Kirti Azad, he played Tests I'm sure.

Played about half-a-dozen. Used to show us pictures of him hitting Botham for six in a ODI. Think he went into politics.

Dennison Thomas... South Moor
Mark Harper (Roger's brother) ...Peterlee. I was fielding at cover when he twatted this ball for 4 thro extra cover. I laughed out loud cos it was the most ridiculous thing I'd seen an a cricket field. It was a like a f***ing bullet.

He was arrogant - told us he was the son of a Maharajah, and acted like it.

Got into a bust-up with our skipper - a no-nonsense Yorkshireman who was also groundsman. Told him that back home in India he would be digging his gardens.

Skipper replied "Twenty years years ago you'da been digging mine. Now shut thee gob and do your job." Brilliant.

I liked when they said players booked their holidays to avoid facing him and Gilchrist!
Tale (possibly urban myth) at Whitburn when Hall and Griffiths turned up for Lance Gibbs' testimonial. West Indies select XI vs a Senior League select side

Hall pushes off the sightscreen to start his run-up. Hurls one down that raps the pads off one of the Senior League lads.

Huge appeal - and the batsman turns and starts to walk off.

Umpire shouts, "come back young'un. You're not out."

"I f@@king am," come the reply.

Last edited:
It was Whitmore Quinn at Phili wasn't it.

Nixon McLean was at Evenwood. Absolute torture to face up there on a dark August evening with no sight screens!! He used to hit it miles too.

I remember Clem Thompson who played at the Harbour - great bloke, very fast. He opened at the other end to Holding for Jamaica.

I remember Clem Thompson who played at the Harbour - great bloke, very fast. He opened at the other end to Holding for Jamaica.

Was he the bloke who was on that ITV show a few years back? Some lass from Seaham tracked him down (or may have been a different West Indian) as her long lost father.

Was he the bloke who was on that ITV show a few years back? Some lass from Seaham tracked him down (or may have been a different West Indian) as her long lost father.
No that was Tony King.
Believe he got the pro's job on the basis he was Collis King's nephew. Sadly he was not quite up to the standard of Collis !
Clem Thompson was quick and had a nasty line in "beamers" if any local batsman got the better of him.

Back