Wengers new offside proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, there'd just be mm's between whether the striker was beyond the defender or not.
They need to do it how the Americans do by stating unless it's clear and obvious they don't change the decision already made. That in itself leads to further issues as people argue what is clear and obvious

Hooooooooof, 6 defenders and 4 forwards 80 yards between them

Might start off like for a few games but would soon change when forwards want to be more involved in the play

Might start off like for a few games but would soon change when forwards want to be more involved in the play

It wouldn't change though, managers would buy huge lumps to play up front and hoy the ball at them 70/80/90 yards as quickly as possible. You might get one or two very quick players to play in defence to sprint out quickly with the ball but mostly you'll see if smashed long at the basketball players up front

Last edited:
The issue for me isn't the outside rule. It is the length of time VAR takes.

You'd be taking the game backwards imo by removing offsides. Goal mooching would be utter shit imo. You're seemingly taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut by removing offsides completely. Changing the game immeasurably purely because of the pissing about with VAR seems way over the top.
It isn't cause of VAR. I've thought it for absolutely years to be honest and I'm yet to see a convincing argument to keep it.
If you love long ball football with nothing at all in midfield then yeah, removing offsides would be great
I don't think it would be like that at all.

Last edited:
It wouldn't change though, managers would buy huge lumps to play up front and hoy the ball at them 70/80/90 yards as quickly as possible. You might get one or two very quick players to play in defence to sprint out quickly with the ball but mostly you'll see if smashed long at the basketball players up front

Couldn’t imagine pep or klopp setting their teams up like that and if teams do want to play long then defenders will have to actually defend instead of appealing to the assistants

Last edited:
It makes no sense though. He says it would stop it being milimetres in the decision but it wouldn't, it would still be exactly the same.
That was my first thought; all you're doing is changing the point where you make your millimetre rulings.
In terms of an unwanted effect, you could see teams abandoning trying to hold a line as the attacking player could have almost a yard head start and still be onside.

I can solve this pretty much instantly.

all players should be covered with a microfilm that has an interwoven GPS.

we then build a satellite for each and every playable game from grass roots to World Cup, with the aim of monitoring the position of each player.

Then we cover each ball in the same microfilm with an inbuilt pressure sensor.

when the ball is played, to the touch is recognised by the pressure sensor and the satellite in space immediately checks the GpS for the player that receives the ball, against the position of the last defender, immediately identifying players in an offside position

This results in an instant off side alert sent to the referee via a third microfilm he is covered in in the form of a violent vibration.

piece of piss

we then build a satellite for each and every playable game from grass roots to World Cup, with the aim of monitoring the position of each player.

when the ball is played, to the touch is recognised by the pressure sensor and the satellite in space immediately checks the GpS for the player that receives the ball, against the position of the last defender, immediately identifying players in an offside position

This results in an instant off side alert sent to the referee via a third microfilm he is covered in in the form of a violent vibration.

piece of piss

It’s a winner! Knock a prototype up in a couple of weeks and dragons den will snap your hand off

Logon or register to see this image

Included this to highlight how much of a head start attackers can have, but, because the heel is behind the defenders knee, he's onside (this is just an example of how far ahead an attacker can be).
When you're trying to judge if someone is offside, this new rule might be even harder to ref than the current one.

piece of piss
You'll need a bunch of sensors built into the pitch, as the ball bouncing will ping the ball sensor (especially problematic if the pass is made just before, or just after a ball bounces).

Last edited:
Iirc it was introduced so that teams just didn't leave forwards in and around the box irrespective of where the ball was on the pitch so that it could just be hoofed to them. Stopped goal moochers/laggers/hangers.

Think that was why the offside rule was introduced.
I think it was this too. Now it is a precise science where if a player is slightly over an imaginary line at the wrong time then play stops.

It would be harder to judge, but I’d say it is offside if a player has been in a clear offside position for say at least 3 seconds. That would stop people trying to game the rule by hanging just offside with an outstretched arm, but avoid all these stoppages when a pacy forward is punished because their run is a split second off.

At the level I play at, we don’t often have linesmen or it is one teams sub. We play a clearly obvious offside rule to stop piss taking but anything marginal goes. Our games don’t have anywhere near the amount of stoppages as professional top flight games and internationals. I want to watch football, not free kicks.

The daftest ones I see are scrambles in the last 12 yards where nobody knows where the ball or other players are, loads of movement and the ball pinging about all over and someone gets caught 2 inches offside. That is not stopping goal hanging. Perhaps a rule to say if the ball is played in the box then anything goes.

Logon or register to see this image

Included this to highlight how much of a head start attackers can have, but, because the heel is behind the defenders knee, he's onside (this is just an example of how far ahead an attacker can be).
When you're trying to judge if someone is offside, this new rule might be even harder to ref than the current one.

You'll need a bunch of sensors built into the pitch, as the ball bouncing will ping the ball sensor (especially problematic if the pass is made just before, or just after a ball bounces).

good thinking that.

Will probably need millions of sensors per pitch.

might invest in some sensor manufacturers before this takes off

ditch the silly colourful lines, stick a time limit on VAR for offsides, can't prove it conclusively in the set time? Original decision stands.

Any offside that requires a 2 minute review, 9 different camera angles and 2 colourful lines to provide an answer is clearly too close to call and therefore there won't be anyone kicking off. Any offside that can be proven instantly within 30 seconds and 2 camera angles will be clearly offside and therefore no-one can complain when it's given offside.

i'm struggling to find a single flaw in that. Anyone?

All this suggests is moving the line. Doesn't really solve anything.
Any part of an attacker in line with a defender keeps him onside.
As opposed to now where any part past a defender puts the attacker offside. What's the difference? Still gonna get marginal calls, Still gonna have people saying he was onside by a defender's toenail.
Won't change anything.

Offsides are at an all time low anyway so i don't get the fuss

Last edited:
ditch the silly colourful lines, stick a time limit on VAR for offsides, can't prove it conclusively in the set time? Original decision stands.

Any offside that requires a 2 minute review, 9 different camera angles and 2 colourful lines to provide an answer is clearly too close to call and therefore there won't be anyone kicking off. Any offside that can be proven instantly within 30 seconds and 2 camera angles will be clearly offside and therefore no-one can complain when it's given offside.

What if they don't start checking for offside the millisecond the ball crosses the line but the 30 second timer has started?

What if it takes 30.01 seconds?

Joking aside, I know it sometimes takes longer as they also review the footage in the phase of play for other possible infringements.

2 camera angles don't give the correct depth perception.

We'll have the same problem but the opposite way. He'll still be off by millimetres, just behind the defender rather than in front.

It gives the attacker the edge but we'll still have the annoying wait while some twat draws lines for ages to see if the whole body is off or not. That's the most annoying thing about it. I still say they're better just being told they only have 20 seconds or something to look at it, if it isn't clear without having to fuck about with lines for ages then they give the attacker the benefit of the doubt without delaying the game for ages
That's a far better idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back