Wengers new offside proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wouldn't be getting penalised though. The only reason it would go to VAR is if the linesman hadn't flagged for offside anyway which suggests firstly, assuming a reasonable standard of linesmen, it isn't obvious. Secondly, if it isn't sufficiently clear from the video replay in a short-time then there's nothing unreasonable about saying that it should just then be referred back, and the original decision of the linesman will stand in the same way it has previously in every season prior to the introduction of VAR. So to reiterate, the fact that it was referred in the first place would suggest it was obviously not blatant, thus no manager's would be screaming "What are you waiting for, it's blatant." Because it wouldn't be blatant. And if it takes well over a minute to extensively analyse, again, it isn't unreasonable to say that in reality, there's really not any advantage being gained at all.

No-one is saying that an offside by a clear toe shouldn't be called offside, you can score with a toe and that by any reasonable analysis would be considered marginally advantageous. Whereas a non-goalscoring part of the body such as an arm-pit which may or may not be a fraction of a millimetre in front of the last defender after ten minutes of analysis, lines have been drawn and someone has measured with a micrometer should be deemed for what it is: so fractionally, trivial that no-one in their right mind can possibly argue that the attacker is gaining any sort of advantage whatsoever. And time shouldn't be wasted on them. The original decision should just stand. This would be the equivalent of what happens fairly often in cricket with Umpire's Call, where Hawk-Eye cannot determine whether 50% of the ball has pitched in line, and even then, that presents a far smaller margin for error than the kind of decisions I'm talking about. There would be literally no change to the game other than clearing up a rule which now needs clearing up and perhaps stopping a few goals from being disallowed which at no point in the history of the game would have been disallowed anyway. There would be no impact on how defenders or attackers approach the game, and it literally would not change a single thing about how managers view an outcome either, other than perhaps being less baffled.

The big picture is just, "The rule needs to go undergo some revision regardless, because it wasn't created with video replays in mind."

I get everything you are saying I just think you have a wildly optimistic view of how managers would conduct themselves. I agree the borderline ones would not be blatant but come on look at the likes of Mourinho, Klopp, Wilder etc there's no way they would accept being on the wrong end of a toenail call. They'd scream blue murder.

As for changing the nature of the game I'm referring to the Wenger suggestion. Can you imagine an attacking set piece with a line of attackers goal side of defenders? It'd be ridiculous.

A hyphen is used to add information deemed as important. If the information was an aside or less important, it could go in brackets. GP was expanding on his point about why he thinks VAR should be scrapped, so used a hyphen.

Semi-colons are generally used to link two independent clauses of equal value, and of similar thought or meaning.

As I understand it a hyphen is mostly used to replace a semi-colon these days, and I've noticed it on a lot of news sites after reading up on it once (sad I know).

I'm not disputing that either of the two lines were grammatically incorrect - I meant that they were inconsistent.

On the subject of semi-colons - this is a great read if you're that way inclined:

As I understand it a hyphen is mostly used to replace a semi-colon these days, and I've noticed it on a lot of news sites after reading up on it once (sad I know).

I'm not disputing that either of the two lines were grammatically incorrect - I meant that they were inconsistent.

On the subject of semi-colons - this is a great read if you're that way inclined:

Interesting read. My advice has always been if in doubt, think about whether you're trying to emphasise the second phrase/clause, or if you're giving it equal weight to the first.

If it's the former, use a dash. If it's the latter, use a semi-colon. I've also noticed you referred to the initial poster as using a hyphen, when it was actually a dash. A hyphen is used to join two words, to create (for example) a compound noun.

For offside surely the answer is GPS trackers or similar in players boots with instant decisions. Surely that technology exists.

GPS would be absolutely useless in this instance. Nowhere near enough resolution for starters, and you’d have to (can’t believe I’m typing this sentence) download data from the player’s boot every time there’s an incident. :lol: Then there’s bulk, power source, weight and so forth. Patchy reception, heavy cloud cover...

Just not practical, but I would love to see it implemented!:lol:
A minimum of two body parts offside would resolve some of these narrow calls

It wouldn’t, it would simply move the problem around. The issue isn’t the specified position of the players, it’s the fact that it’s impossible with current technology to tell exactly where the attacker and defender are in relation to each other at the precise instant the passing player’s toe touches the ball.

No amount of tweaking the laws can solve this issue, unless we abolish offside, which wouldn’t go down well.
As I’ve said before, I’d abolish it for passes completed inside the penalty area. I think offside in those situations is the biggest party pooper. That’s another debate, though. It wouldn’t solve this problem.

There’s going to have to be compromises made, VAR has come up short here and there’s no perfect solution, IMO.

Last edited:
GPS would be absolutely useless in this instance. Nowhere near enough resolution for starters, and you’d have to (can’t believe I’m typing this sentence) download data from the player’s boot every time there’s an incident. :lol: Then there’s bulk, power source, weight and so forth. Patchy reception, heavy cloud cover...

Just not practical, but I would love to see it implemented!:lol:

It wouldn’t, it would simply move the problem around. The issue isn’t the specified position of the players, it’s the fact that it’s impossible with current technology to tell exactly where the attacker and defender are in relation to each other at the precise instant the passing player’s toe touches the ball.

No amount of tweaking the laws can solve this issue, unless we abolish offside, which wouldn’t go down well.
As I’ve said before, I’d abolish it for passes completed inside the penalty area. I think offside in those situations is the biggest party pooper. That’s another debate, though. It wouldn’t solve this problem.

There’s going to have to be compromises made, VAR has come up short here and there’s no perfect solution, IMO.
I'm no expert on the capabilities of GPS. Just feel that with some little effort it can be instant, like goal line technology is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back