Wengers new offside proposal

Says you'd be onside if ANY part of the body is inline with or behind the last defender

On first thoughts I like it. I think it's a better way than we have now seeing as your toe can be an inch off and var ruling goals out. At least this way it gives the attacker the edge and may produce more goals from it.

It gives the attacker the edge but we'll still have the annoying wait while some twat draws lines for ages to see if the whole body is off or not. That's the most annoying thing about it. I still say they're better just being told they only have 20 seconds or something to look at it, if it isn't clear without having to fuck about with lines for ages then they give the attacker the benefit of the doubt without delaying the game for ages

It makes no sense though. He says it would stop it being milimetres in the decision but it wouldn't, it would still be exactly the same.
It won’t be the same at all though, the massive difference is a fan watching will be thinking shit that looked offside and not celebrating what looks like a perfectly good goal only for it to be chalked off because someone’s bellend is offside in the build up. Plus you’re more likely to actually gain an advantage if there’s fresh air between you than if you’re both almost perfectly level

Offside rule is essential to the game, but 'less' offside would be a good thing. Seems like so recent that level became on, would be good to push the line further.
Scrap the fucker completely - more goals are better, stops teams playing a high defensive line.

No more boring 0-0s; no more bored to tears talking about VAR offside decisions and whether his big toe was on or off.

They HAVE to remove this rule that you're not flagged until you actively try to touch the ball.
If the defender doesn't know if the attacker is on or offside in a flash, their decision-making will be totally different. Such as over-stretching to get a head/leg on a ball, possibly injuring themselves

Pushes the balance between attack and defence more towards attack, rewards vision (timed runs) by attackers more than at present. Makes the high offside trap just a littler harder to set.

Meanwhile still fully protects the game from poaching, goal-hanging etc.

IMO.
Why does the game need protected from poaching and goal hanging ?

Scrap the fucker completely - more goals are better, stops teams playing a high defensive line.

No more boring 0-0s; no more bored to tears talking about VAR offside decisions and whether his big toe was on or off.

We could but that would be a totally different game to what we currently have and to me its too big a leap (in one go at least).

We could but that would be a totally different game to what we currently have and to me its too big a leap (in one go at least).
VAR was too big a leap (in the wrong direction).

Fans want to see goals, not be bored off their tits waiting for someone to decide if they were a gnat's chuff offside.

I would scrap all this arms, chest, head carry on and say that if the attackers leading foot is a measurable gap/space ahead of the defenders foot nearest his goal then its offside.

Back