Wengers new offside proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrap the fucker completely - more goals are better, stops teams playing a high defensive line.

No more boring 0-0s; no more bored to tears talking about VAR offside decisions and whether his big toe was on or off.
Used to love it at primary school. Babylining we called it. Just hang around the goal. No midfield. Just lump it up. Happy days. Not sure it would be much oz a spectacle, mind you. 🤔

VAR was too big a leap (in the wrong direction).

Fans want to see goals, not be bored off their tits waiting for someone to decide if they were a gnat's chuff offside.

I'd totally agree that VAR hasn't been a saviour, but I don't see that as a case for scrapping offside completely. They need to sort VAR, in a matter of seconds does it seem offside, if not then its on. That's still benefit of a replay and seconds more than the ref has - enough to remove obvious errors. These 30 sec+ delays are killing the game.
It would open the game and pitch up massively. I'm a big fan of scrapping the offside rule altogether. I can't see any positives that it offers.

maybe deserves trials. Wouldnt be against that.

Its meant to be clear and obvious errors. They should have it as offside is only reviewable after an appeal by the opposition manager - one per game per side. Ref then has a look at the monitor and none of these lines drawn on the screen and reaches a decision

The best thing about VAR is that it a high defensive line is playable. Without the high defensive line closing down would be a lot harder.
There is not really much wrong with VAR as it stands it’s just the league itself making a mockery of it.
It says clear and obvious, so if it takes longer than 10 seconds it’s not clear or obvious. Also offside is offside. Why let attackers have the benefit of the doubt. It’s easy to check and is a yes or no answer. It’s when opinions and interpretations are brought in that problems can occur.

It makes no sense though. He says it would stop it being milimetres in the decision but it wouldn't, it would still be exactly the same.
Yes and no. Whilst there would still exist the possibility of millimetre review, the effect it would have on human behaviour would make it much easier for an attacker to judge. There’d be far fewer review events in games as a result of this change - whilst keeping the spirit of the offside rule intact.

It makes no sense though. He says it would stop it being milimetres in the decision but it wouldn't, it would still be exactly the same.
All I hear in the media from pundits is they want to see more goals, what Wenger is proposing would of had a lot of them var offside disallowed goals given, I see your point if he is a mm off when there is supposed space between the players, but the advantage needs to be with the attackers according to talk sport and others

Simply don't draw lines on VAR to see if it's offside, it has to be conclusive when looking at it to overturn the decision made by the officials on the pitch in the moment.

Personally I'd say just get rid of VAR and go back to how things were, I'm very happy we don't have to deal with it.

It would open the game and pitch up massively. I'm a big fan of scrapping the offside rule altogether. I can't see any positives that it offers.
Iirc it was introduced so that teams just didn't leave forwards in and around the box irrespective of where the ball was on the pitch so that it could just be hoofed to them. Stopped goal moochers/laggers/hangers.
Used to love it at primary school. Babylining we called it. Just hang around the goal. No midfield. Just lump it up. Happy days. Not sure it would be much oz a spectacle, mind you. 🤔
Think that was why the offside rule was introduced.

Last edited:
Absolute bollocks.

It's the complete opposite of the current rule which means it will cause exactly the same controversy but at the opposite end of the scale.

The man has lost his marbles unfortunately.

VAR is not required in league football & never has been.

Iirc it was introduced so that teams just didn't leave forwards in and around the box irrespective of where the ball was on the pitch so that it could just be hoofed to them. Stopped goal moochers/laggers/hangers.

It was but it's a different game to then. In this day and age, to me anyway, all offside does is spoil the game and it's no longer needed. If teams hoy a player on the 6 yard line so the other team sticks a defender back and the whole pitch is used, without meaningless stoppages and arguments about someone being a Fanny's hair offside then to me that's a good thing. I don't see the point in offside at all.

yes but I think it’s more palatable to be an inch offside when you have all that leeway if you see what I mean. Personally could accept that toenails width when it’s this way round. Seems more sensible somehow. To me anyway....

It was but it's a different game to then. In this day and age, to me anyway, all offside does is spoil the game and it's no longer needed. If teams hoy a player on the 6 yard line so the other team sticks a defender back and the whole pitch is used, without meaningless stoppages and arguments about someone being a Fanny's hair offside then to me that's a good thing. I don't see the point in offside at all.
The issue for me isn't the outside rule. It is the length of time VAR takes.

You'd be taking the game backwards imo by removing offsides. Goal mooching would be utter shit imo. You're seemingly taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut by removing offsides completely. Changing the game immeasurably purely because of the pissing about with VAR seems way over the top.

It won’t be the same at all though, the massive difference is a fan watching will be thinking shit that looked offside and not celebrating what looks like a perfectly good goal only for it to be chalked off because someone’s bellend is offside in the build up. Plus you’re more likely to actually gain an advantage if there’s fresh air between you than if you’re both almost perfectly level

It would be exactly the same in the sense that it's still coming down to milimetres is what I meant. The offside rule was completely fine before VAR, I'm not really arsed about the advantage thing. If you're in front of the last defender you are gaining an unfair advantage. That's been the rule for however long and I don't see the point in changing it now. If it changes to this then people will still moan when it comes down to milimetres.

I still don't buy the whole not celebrating because of VAR thing either. How many times have people celebrated a goal without looking to see if the offside flag is up before VAR came in? As a natural reaction people will always celebrate if the ball hits the back of the net before they think about anything else, that hasn't changed.

Last edited:

Exactly, there'd just be mm's between whether the striker was beyond the defender or not.
They need to do it how the Americans do by stating unless it's clear and obvious they don't change the decision already made. That in itself leads to further issues as people argue what is clear and obvious
Id love to see a game played with no offsides just out of interest

Hooooooooof, 6 defenders and 4 forwards 80 yards between them

Last edited:

😉

😉

Reactions: Sid
Says you'd be onside if ANY part of the body is inline with or behind the last defender

On first thoughts I like it. I think it's a better way than we have now seeing as your toe can be an inch off and var ruling goals out. At least this way it gives the attacker the edge and may produce more goals from it.
I'm pleased he agrees with what I've been saying for months...

If you love long ball football with nothing at all in midfield then yeah, removing offsides would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back