Weather Watch

My power is fine but I got this email earlier:

Keeping You Informed

NORTHERN POWERGRID NETWORK SUSTAINING DAMAGE AS STORM ARWEN CONTINUES TO HIT THE REGION

Storm Arwen brings windspeeds of up to 100 mph and largest storm to impact our electricity distribution network since 2005
More than 219,000 customers affected since 6pm last night (26 November)
More than 111,000 customers' power successfully restored
Some 108,000 customers still affected as result of Storm Arwen
Continued storm force winds mean it is currently unsafe for teams to climb and repair any damage caused to overhead power lines by fallen trees and flying debris
Our engineers are restoring power remotely wherever possible and teams of hundreds of employees are poised and ready to carry out repairs in the field as soon as conditions permit
We are asking customers to only contact us if they need to report a dangerous electrical incident or are off supply and are medically dependent on electricity

We are continuing to see significant damage to our power network as a result of Storm Arwen.

The storm force winds of up to 100mph have caused power cuts for more than 219,000 customers, mainly in Northumberland, County Durham and Tyne and Wear and continued severe gales of more than 65mph are forecast until around 6pm this evening. More than 530 instances of damage requiring repair have occurred since 6pm yesterday. More than 110,000 customers' power supplies have been successfully restored by 11.45am this morning. Continued gale force winds mean it is still remains unsafe for our teams to climb and repair any damage caused to overhead power lines mainly by fallen trees and flying debris. Travel in some areas is also proving very difficult and unsafe due to the ongoing weather conditions.

As a result of the ongoing situation, we expect that many customers will be off supply for the majority of the day and into tomorrow, or when it is safe to carry out restoration and repairs.

Our 24-hour contact centre is understandably receiving a high volume of calls and so we are asking if Customers could help us by only contacting us on 105 if they need to report a dangerous electrical incident or are off supply and are medically dependent on electricity. Customers can also use their mobile to visit our Twitter (@northpowergrid) and Facebook pages where the we will continue to provide regular updates and advice to customers and local communities.

Power cut advice and tips include:

turn off electrical appliances at the socket (this is particularly important for heating or cooking appliances as your power could be restored at any time and potentially cause a safety hazard)
keep one light switched on so you know when power is restored
keep a battery or wind-up torch handy - they're much safer than candles
bookmark Northern Powergrid's online power cut reporting service on your mobile devices - www.northernpowergrid.com/power-cuts and add 105, the free power cut, to mobile phone contact details
have a charged mobile phone with important numbers, including Northern Powergrid's contact details, easily accessible.
check on your elderly or sick neighbours and relatives
ensure you have warm clothing and blankets handy and some food and drink in your home that does not require electricity to heat or prepare it
only call 999 in the event of an emergency.

Yours sincerely

Louise Lowes
Head of Customer Services
I go that, where do they get the email addresses from ?

There was a lorry Jack knifed on the A1M southbound about 9pm last night, it was blocking the whole carriageway.
The A1M from Scotch Corner going North hadnt been gritted pretty poor driving conditions. Looks as if someone at the Highways agency hadnt been looking at the westher forcast and had given the gritter drivers the night off.

Got to organise a scaffolding with a plastic roof over it this morning to cover over a nursing home to keep the water out.

Full section of roof has been peeled off like a can of sardines.

There was a lorry Jack knifed on the A1M southbound about 9pm last night, it was blocking the whole carriageway.
The A1M from Scotch Corner going North hadnt been gritted pretty poor driving conditions. Looks as if someone at the Highways agency hadnt been looking at the westher forcast and had given the gritter drivers the night off.

I drove to South Shields and Washington last night and I don't think any of the roads had been gritted.

Councils probably havent even looked at the Rota's yet for the gritter drivers. Never mindput gritter lorry out on the road.
I drove up Durham Road around 9.30 last night and I'm pretty sure there was no grit down, you would think, considering it had been forecast all week, and there were little bits of snow on the morning, they might have done a few of the main routes in and out the town just in case.

Back