Wear-Tees Derby

My first game is as versus Middlesbrough at Roker Park. Well, that’s the first game I remember I know I had gone to one before that but can’t remember against who and the boro game ended 2-2

My first game at the SoL was against Boro'. I recall where I was Merson and Ball kicking the shit out of each other. I think I was in L1 of the East Stand somewhere.

Although it has a bit of an edge to it, I don't personally class it as a derby. If I'm honest, I don't care about Boro and I mean that with respect.
This is down to me being based in Northumberland where I have very little to no interaction with Boro fans. I suspect it's a bit different for SAFC fans based in the southern parts of Co Durham.

I despise the mags, it’s personal when it comes to them. That's why it's so different.

I live geographically closer to Middlesbrough to you so I view any derby as any game with a club who are geographically close. A lot of members who have talked on this thread about NOT caring about Boro fans and hating Newcastle fans, clearly it is based on feelings. A derby is only a derby if you hate the fans of the other club. Not in my book.
To me personally its not a derby simply because it has no emotional effect on me.its like than winning ,losing drawing against luton. Cardiff or Preston.I know it annoys the smoggies but i couldn't care less about them.

I stand corrected. See above.
Be Sunday lunchtime regardless mate, as will Coventry away

It is down as Saturday. I want to put in for Saturday's when we have a game and I want to big some good games. If you think it will be moved to Sunday do you think I should leave it?

Last edited:

My first game at the SoL was against Boro'. I recall where I was Merson and Ball kicking the shit out of each other. I think I was in L1 of the East Stand somewhere.

I live geographically closer to Middlesbrough to you so I view any derby as any game with a club who are geographically close. A lot of members who have talked on this thread about NOT caring about Boro fans and hating Newcastle fans, clearly it is based on feelings. A derby is only a derby if you hate the fans of the other club. Not in my book.

I stand corrected. See above.

It is down as Saturday. I want to put in for Saturday's when we have a game and I want to big some good games. If you think it will be moved to Sunday do you think I should leave it?
I would deffo leave it

When Boro won the league Cup back in 2004 it didn't piss me off in the slightest. If that had been the mags it would have annoyed me for weeks after.

Which ever way this argument/debate goes, SAFC's derby is vs the mags. Boro has a bit of added edge due to geography, but they are just another club.

Nah they're just generally horrible bastards, or they were back when they played at AP. Still remember a game down there in the early/mid 90s. Crowd was around 12k. Think we only took 1k down and we got chased around the streets around the ground before and after the match. Always thought it was just a little, unhospitable place. No time for them whatsoever.
Boro. 🙄

Boro fans are similar to Sunderland fans in that some see it as a Derby, some don't.
As for being our biggest game of the season.........erm no.
Firstly the Boro fans who don’t see it as a derby….do they have derby with anyone? Secondly what will their biggest game of the season be?

Last edited:
Whatever view is, it always ends up as part of a 12-page thread full of people stressing how much they don't care about Boro. This happens for literally no other club.
Sorry mate I find the above a tad abstruse! Are you being ironic? Or sarcastic?

Depends really, could argue it is our biggest game generally now the mags have souled their soul. Can you really have a derby match against a nation state’s propaganda arm?

How much of a rivalry is Boro - Hartlepool? Despite being on their doorsteps(ish) you never really hear much of a rivalry, guessing due to the size of Pools?

There isn't really one, don't know why this would be, its a strange one, though they have never been in the same division and have only played each other competitively twice. Back in the day you would see hardly anyone stood on the platform at Hartlepool railway station on a Saturday afternoon on their way to going to watch Middlesbrough, whereas there would be anything up to a 100 or so when Sunderland or the Mags were at home. That has changed in the last 20 years or so, with some of the younger generation in Hartlepool showing some interest in the Boro, probably because a lot of poolies work on Teesside, now that their own town has little in the way of meaningful employment opportunities. The older generation seem to dislike Middlesbrough more as a town than the actual football club. The younger generation seem to see Middlesbrough as some sort of big brother, which is quite cringeworthy.

Back