Wear-Tees Derby

My first game is as versus Middlesbrough at Roker Park. Well, that’s the first game I remember I know I had gone to one before that but can’t remember against who and the boro game ended 2-2

Been away to boro both Ayersome and Riverside including “ friendly” games, and the way Iv seen them pick off lads fans , re assures my assumption they see it as more of a grudge match than we do.

I reckon I would chat to Boro fans in a pub before/ after the game the same way I’d do the same with West Brom or Bristol City for example. Really haven’t got any ill feeling towards them.

Been away to boro both Ayersome and Riverside including “ friendly” games, and the way Iv seen them pick off lads fans , re assures my assumption they see it as more of a grudge match than we do.

Nah they're just generally horrible bastards, or they were back when they played at AP. Still remember a game down there in the early/mid 90s. Crowd was around 12k. Think we only took 1k down and we got chased around the streets around the ground before and after the match. Always thought it was just a little, unhospitable place. No time for them whatsoever.

Nah they're just generally horrible bastards, or they were back when they played at AP. Still remember a game down there in the early/mid 90s. Crowd was around 12k. Think we only took 1k down and we got chased around the streets around the ground before and after the match. Always thought it was just a little, unhospitable place. No time for them whatsoever.
In the 80s we ran amok . We would take 10000 Down.wrecked the place .
In the 80s we ran amok . We would take 10000 Down.wrecked the place .
And they hardly came up here .

Last edited:
Although it has a bit of an edge to it, I don't personally class it as a derby. If I'm honest, I don't care about Boro and I mean that with respect.
This is down to me being based in Northumberland where I have very little to no interaction with Boro fans. I suspect it's a bit different for SAFC fans based in the southern parts of Co Durham.

I despise the mags, it’s personal when it comes to them. That's why it's so different.

They absolutely hate us and there's been an edge the last couple of times ive been down there.

I genuinely don't have any feelings about them, but for all the 'talk' the way our fans reacted in the away end the last few away games ive been there suggests some think of it as a derby more then they want to let on.

The Wear-Tees match

It's only a derby to one side and it isn't us. Pretty sure they've beaten us like 6 out of the last 8 matches we've had too, if that were the mags we'd not be happy but because it's Boro we don't give a shit as they mean pretty much nothing to us.

Last edited:
To me personally its not a derby simply because it has no emotional effect on me.its like than winning ,losing drawing against luton. Cardiff or Preston.I know it annoys the smoggies but i couldn't care less about them.

Felt like a derby to me .
First Boro game I can recall was a two nil defeat at home when tueart and Bobby were sent off. Iirc it was big Jack's promotion season.
First Boro away game was fa cup 75 at jam
packed AP. Hickton scored two pens to knock us out. Detested them for ages after that:).
Always a derby for me and always will be.

Back