We need to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don’t forget July the 1st borini 5.6m and lens 6.6m were sold. Then McNair 5m+ then Khazri 10m and asoro 2m. That nearly 30m.

There's nothing to forget. It is in our accounts. We owe £21m and are owed £2m this year. Net £19m and Borini and Lens are accounted for.

I think am being told wages is the problem

They are the main problem. Are other things not allowed to contribute also?

There's nothing to forget. It is in our accounts. We owe £21m and are owed £2m this year. Net £19m and Borini and Lens are accounted for.

They are the main problem. Are other things not allowed to contribute also?

What do you think my point is ?
We are still behind, and still lack quality.
We also are non the wiser to all the departures that could happen in the next 4 weeks.

I just think Its time to use whatever money we do have for a bit of quaility. ( Money that is there) haven’t asked for millions.

If the players I mentioned did account for 100k a week that’s 5 million a year ain’t it ?

Last edited:
The ones where we were around £150 million in debt because of the ridiculous wages we were paying. Just a guess, like.

But the current £17m is light years away from that and shouldn’t hinder recruitment to the extent it is doing.

In one of his first interviews Methven referred to some supporters as being "addicted to the heroin drip of owners' money". It appears we have a number on here with severe withdrawal symptoms.

But you of all people know clubs outside the PL lose money every season UNLESS they trade players successfully.

Last edited:
The new regime is starting to unravel as the weeks go on.....No doubt Donald's next podcast will reveal more debt that needs to be paid and a reason as to why we can't spend on transfers.
Lets wait and see fella......one thing is for sure is that time will reveal everythingh...Donald might equate the oxford and swindon derby in the same terms as the scum v lads derby and thats his delusional perogative but but he will reap te whirlwind from the fans if he is outed as a bullshitter...........We aint the eastleigh massive!..that for sure.

People need to chill out like. We need to shift big earners first and from what I can see we are doing an alright job at it so far.

I think a lot of our fans are forgetting where we are right now League wise. Pretty much every team in this league spends very little.

League One - Transfers 18/19 Going off this not one club has spent any money yet just free transfers and loans.

Last edited:
Yes but we should still be able to attract the best players currently playing in L1 or L2, similarly to when we signed Whitehead and Lawrence.....

The difference is we paid reasonable amounts of money for them. We are just mopping up free, injury prone shite right now. All filler nee killer!

You can spend transfer money received on buying other players. Or you can use 60% of it as income. That is players wages and similar. So 15m becomes 9m usable. A big difference when you are talking big numbers.

Ok. So that sounds like net transfer counts as turnover then.

Thats interesting. Still, a hige injection considering our spend probably wont be over £2m

i'd rather be a self sufficient and healthy League 1 club for a few years, than rack up more debt or rely on a sugar daddy to sign anyone who will come, on inflated wages, just to get promoted and end up back in the same position with a squad full of overpaid mercenaries.

people are overwhelmingly impatient. they've been here 2 months. it might take a couple of years to sort the club out financially, and if so, we are just going to have to wait.

i'm sure people think its a game of Football Manager. 'oh, we sold McNair for £5million, now we have £5million to spend on players'.

The basic operation of running the club was losing us hundreds of £k every month, that hole needs fixing before we can move forward. i can't believe, after everything that has happened at SAFC over the last 5 years, people are seriously advocating just throwing money at the problem.

what about if the Scouts and management team have identified players, but they either are too expensive to buy relative to their ability, are trying to hold us ransom over wages, or simply dont't want to come here. shall we just throw more money at them? no. fuck them. be patient. the right players will come as long as the owners have put the right management in place

i'd rather be a self sufficient and healthy League 1 club for a few years, than rack up more debt or rely on a sugar daddy to sign anyone who will come, on inflated wages, just to get promoted and end up back in the same position with a squad full of overpaid mercenaries.

people are overwhelmingly impatient. they've been here 2 months. it might take a couple of years to sort the club out financially, and if so, we are just going to have to wait.

i'm sure people think its a game of Football Manager. 'oh, we sold McNair for £5million, now we have £5million to spend on players'.

The basic operation of running the club was losing us hundreds of £k every month, that hole needs fixing before we can move forward. i can't believe, after everything that has happened at SAFC over the last 5 years, people are seriously advocating just throwing money at the problem.

what about if the Scouts and management team have identified players, but they either are too expensive to buy relative to their ability, are trying to hold us ransom over wages, or simply dont't want to come here. shall we just throw more money at them? no. fuck them. be patient. the right players will come as long as the owners have put the right management in place
It's not like those are the only options though, we have a huge income for this league (at least for the next two seasons) and it should be easily possible to live within those means and still be at least pushing for promotion.
We have to find the right balance between financial stability and bringing in players in order to push for promotion. The squad as it stands looks way short in terms of numbers and quality, the manager is saying no incomings are imminent and the season is less than a month away. I think most understand we need to shift some of the big earners, but some of those deals could go right to the wire and that could leave very little in terms of both time and players available if we wait.

Our wage bill is huge for league 1, the rules say it has to be reduced. The emphasis is on doing that before spending money

The wage bill is the problem, not the fees imo. Maybe they are finding it harder to shift players than they thought

That’s it man, we still have hardly moved any of the shithouses on. That wages bill needs clearing before any ‘big’ moves are made.

Reactions: Gaz
It's not like those are the only options though, we have a huge income for this league (at least for the next two seasons) and it should be easily possible to live within those means and still be at least pushing for promotion.
We have to find the right balance between financial stability and bringing in players in order to push for promotion. The squad as it stands looks way short in terms of numbers and quality, the manager is saying no incomings are imminent and the season is less than a month away. I think most understand we need to shift some of the big earners, but some of those deals could go right to the wire and that could leave very little in terms of both time and players available if we wait.

if thats the case, then we have to wait. i'd rather be patient, methodical, and do it properly. impatience, and throwing money at a problem only leads to disaster later on down the line.

it highly likely that we have looked at relatively big money signings, but those players/agents/clubs have seen us coming and are trying to hold us to ransom, at which point we have quite rightfully told them to fuck off. i'd rather us sign no one, than be ripped off paying £2 million or more for a player that is just bang average at League 1, and is probably worth a quarter of that. we've been down that road a million times, it doesnt work.

The current problem is that we are still paying over the odds for players.

Even if there is no transfer fee.

Despite what the chairman is saying we are still giving out contracts on the recent signings above what is commensurate with their ability. In one case 5 times what was on offer to the player at other clubs.

if thats the case, then we have to wait. i'd rather be patient, methodical, and do it properly. impatience, and throwing money at a problem only leads to disaster later on down the line.

it highly likely that we have looked at relatively big money signings, but those players/agents/clubs have seen us coming and are trying to hold us to ransom, at which point we have quite rightfully told them to fuck off. i'd rather us sign no one, than be ripped off paying £2 million or more for a player that is just bang average at League 1, and is probably worth a quarter of that. we've been down that road a million times, it doesnt work.
I really hope we aren't attempting to sign many bang average league one players if we are we will struggle regardless of how much they cost.

I don't think we should be paying fees like £2m for anyone really. no need, but we will need to sign some players and we still need quite a few. We should have a huge budget for this level and we need to make it count as it's only going one way over the next couple of years.

People need to chill out like. We need to shift big earners first and from what I can see we are doing an alright job at it so far.

I think a lot of our fans are forgetting where we are right now League wise. Pretty much every team in this league spends very little.

League One - Transfers 18/19 Going off this not one club has spent any money yet just free transfers and loans.
But most of those clubs have a team that are more or less jelled together, haven't suffered back to back relegations and would beat Darlo.

Whilst I agree with the majority, thats not how Football Manager works mate.

I’m 43, never seen us win anything of note. The clock is ticking. I don’t want the club to be f***ing about in League One year after year.

Good post. I’ve said before we may need to look at a couple of seasons in this division to rebuild. It’s no good going up just to come down again either. We need a stronger foundation and a well run club. That’s more important than pleasing the more impatient fans in the short term. Jesus, we nearly didn’t have a football club man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back