We need to spend.

Paying over the odds to get players here who don't really want to come is exactly why we are in this mess yet some still want to do it.

I honestly think people are just addicted to transfers/big fees. How haven't we learned this lesson yet?

Of course we need players in but anyone saying we should go out and spend when we have a huge wage bill as it is can't be very bright. It's been laid out in the most simple terms. We have a big budget for this league, but most of it is currently tied up on wages for players who want away yet won't go.

The owners said from the off that spending more than is required to get out of this league is a waste. With the right manager, scouts, etc we should be able to do it on a couple of million. Here's hoping we have them on board.

In one of his first interviews Methven referred to some supporters as being "addicted to the heroin drip of owners' money". It appears we have a number on here with severe withdrawal symptoms.

It seems to me like people on here understand Donald won't be spending much money and are not expecting him to bank roll the club, it is more the fear he is skint and out of his depth.

Last edited:
Paying over the odds to get players here who don't really want to come is exactly why we are in this mess yet some still want to do it.

I honestly think people are just addicted to transfers/big fees. How haven't we learned this lesson yet?

Of course we need players in but anyone saying we should go out and spend when we have a huge wage bill as it is can't be very bright. It's been laid out in the most simple terms. We have a big budget for this league, but most of it is currently tied up on wages for players who want away yet won't go.

The owners said from the off that spending more than is required to get out of this league is a waste. With the right manager, scouts, etc we should be able to do it on a couple of million. Here's hoping we have them on board.

Still got my fingers crossed we find some young good hungry players for next to nowt

Pay nowt for players what class of players do we expect to get.
One of our freebies last season scored 28 goals. Most of them goals were December onwards. We have just sold him to Reading. We will replace him with cheap/free.

We haven't spent a penny so far. Down at this level players normally get 2 year contracts maximum. So 50% of players are available for free each year. You are a big club and would be able to offer an extra 1k a week to the right players. An extra 1k a week at this level is massive.

The problems might be bringing in a manager not experienced and up to date with this level and also not having a scouting system at this level in place.

One of our freebies last season scored 28 goals. Most of them goals were December onwards. We have just sold him to Reading. We will replace him with cheap/free.

We haven't spent a penny so far. Down at this level players normally get 2 year contracts maximum. So 50% of players are available for free each year. You are a big club and would be able to offer an extra 1k a week to the right players. An extra 1k a week at this level is massive.

The problems might be bringing in a manager not experienced and up to date with this level and also not having a scouting system at this level in place.

SAFC need to put out a PSA about this as far fewer people understand it than I had expected. They haven't adjusted to the level we find ourselves at yet. It's all about trying to find bargains who can hopefully get us up, or at the very least will perform well enough for us to make a profit on by selling them.

We've signed one player who was sought after and could have gone to the championship easily. A keeper who has won promotion from league one before. A defender who was very promising at Hearts but needs to kick on. A highly rated young player who has had injury issues but also played in a promoted side. Finally a lady who was loved at one club and hated at another.

They're all gambles to an extent but calculated ones that, should they work out, will be wonderful as they've cost us nothing. A goalscorer is vital, if we are going to spend a few Bob I'd like to use it to bring one in.

Thanks for the lowdown on what to expect....itll go in one ear and out the other with some.

Our turnover won't be over £50M. We get about £25M in parachute payments but zero from TV. There's no chance we'll make £25M from match tickets etc. If we made £40M we could have a wage bill of £24M tops. We might be nearer to making £35M, this would only make our wage bill just over £20M. Sign 1 player on £10K a week would add 500K to our bill. 6 would take it over £20M. Then what do we do in January if we need a couple of players?

Do transfer fees not count in turnover?

So McNair, Asoro and Kazhri creates £15m. Assuming the latter two go as reported.

I agree , I was hoping for a few champ players dropping down, even a few bids for standout league 2 players ( young ) that could make the step up. Well placed free transfers.

I can’t fathom why anyone in league one wouldn’t want to join us .
I can't disagree with that, I don't think it's a budget thing, feels like a world cup slowing market one, but I haven't really watched this league so know fuck all about who are actually the stars or who has moved.

I believe in Jack Ross and I believe that he has the financial support he needs, so let's hope they can make the deals they need and bring those kind of young players with lots of upside that we hoped for, then the new Chairman talked about. I'm sure they are all well-aware.

Meltdown after one game against Darlo

We went unbeaten in friendlies the season we got relegated from the Prem and only lost 2 friendlies last season as well but I don’t remember people going on as though we were champions league material. f***ing mental really.

SAFC need to put out a PSA about this as far fewer people understand it than I had expected. They haven't adjusted to the level we find ourselves at yet. It's all about trying to find bargains who can hopefully get us up, or at the very least will perform well enough for us to make a profit on by selling them.

We've signed one player who was sought after and could have gone to the championship easily. A keeper who has won promotion from league one before. A defender who was very promising at Hearts but needs to kick on. A highly rated young player who has had injury issues but also played in a promoted side. Finally a lady who was loved at one club and hated at another.

They're all gambles to an extent but calculated ones that, should they work out, will be wonderful as they've cost us nothing. A goalscorer is vital, if we are going to spend a few Bob I'd like to use it to bring one in.

Thanks for the lowdown on what to expect....itll go in one ear and out the other with some.
Sounds like a decent plan at this level. But I agree with you on your fellow supporters expectations. Many blocked me when I tried to say how it is at this level. At least reality will have hit home for many. Or you would like to think it will have.

The one thing I have noticed about this level is we enjoy it more as supporters. That is once you can get past the thought of what level you are at. A great away day isn't going to a big club. It is going to a town and taking it over for the day. Being able to stand without seats getting in the way. Having your opposite supporters enjoying you being there. The problem is that many grounds are small so you will struggle for tickets so you will need to plan ahead. Strangely enough our opponents get a big boost in numbers in their home end when we visit ;)

They aren’t too high mate. Our only previous visit to this league in our history saw us piss it. We are debt free, have an income bigger than any other club in the league and I appreciate that the wage bill has to come down further but that’s happening on an ongoing basis and we need to up our recruitment game ASAP.
I don't want to pick holes in the Chairman's' statements, however he did say that the club could afford to keep all of the high earners if they wanted to and still go about normal business. So, although that has now changed to we can keep x, if we sell y, you'd think we could have sorted our business and not had it held up by outgoings. Financially, man-power wise, not so sure.

Back