BBC Watmore 'reminds me of Bale' - Defoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true he was highly rated at Southampton, struggled a bit at first at Tottenham before becoming brilliant for them.

History is often re-written on here to suit a narrative though.

For example, someone on this thread is saying that there are airheads on here wanting to ship Watmore out. I don't recall seeing anything like that.

On the Bale issue, he had that really peculiar record about Tottenham not winning games when he featured and it became a bit of a media story. The other thing was him settling into his best position. He'd been deployed as a left back, I seem to remember him being outstanding for Southampton in that position against us as 17 or 18 year old. He seemed to really grow as a player when Redknapp moved him further up the park. That performance against Inter was when he really announced himself. He made Maicon, one of the most highly rated defenders in world football, look like an amateur.

If Watmore becomes half the player Bale is, we'll be laughing

I really like DW, he has an enormous amount of potential......but a comparison with Bale is rather previous!
Bale was roundly slagged until he developed into a top player. Not all world beaters are like that from the off, some develop in massive strides.

Whether Defoe actually sees a similarity or is just using his experience and influence to give a lad with potential a boost and big pat on the back I don't know. But for a massive waste of money:p I'm warming to his goals, professionalism, workrate, experience and attitude. He's worth every unwarranted penny IMO :cool:

Great sub, but not good enough to be a starter.....yet.

Might be worth sending him out on loan to a top-half Championship club in the New Year. Two games a week in tough conditions would be good for his fitness, strength and experience. Then recall him in March for our inevitable late season miracle.

Quite a lot actually.

You're taking the piss. Even though not one of us have made the comparison. Wheras your mates go on about the next Henry, next Zidane or next veira.

How's them two transfers working out bud?

I disagree, one of your players has made the comparison, i am giving my opinion, I along with others, some post on this board think he is like James McClean, if you troll back throughany of my posts I rarely take the piss.......

him and bale both have/had a tendency to hit the ball past a defender and rely on their pace to chase it down first. simple but effective if you've got the wheels, so i think the comparison might be fair to an extent.

He reminded me of a non league Jamie Vardy when he first came to Leicester.

He's got a good work ethic, very quick, direct and not afraid to get the ball and try and make something happen.

I didn't see enough of him to see if he has got good quality on the ball. He generally got the ball taken off him eventually but did cause a bit of panic. The lad definitely has a chance of becoming a good player.

I said a young Michael Owen, but he reminds me of Bale a bit as well..

And messi

He reminded me of a non league Jamie Vardy when he first came to Leicester.

He's got a good work ethic, very quick, direct and not afraid to get the ball and try and make something happen.

I didn't see enough of him to see if he has got good quality on the ball. He generally got the ball taken off him eventually but did cause a bit of panic. The lad definitely has a chance of becoming a good player.
You, you bastard.

Top of the f***ing league?

Jesus wept.

"I'm not one of those players that will sulk at training because I'm not playing. If I do that I'm only harming myself because when I get those chances I won't be ready."

Top fella

Agree - this is probably one of the reasons he comes straight back into the team after being left out. He is quality as well mind which for all of DG and Fltchers willingness they havnt got

He still has a lot of work to do but he's clever enough to know that and unlike a lot of young players doesn't give the impression he thinks he's made it.

Taking the ball into the corner towards the end of the game showed he doesnt get to carried away with the emotion of the game and has a decent brain on him.

I disagree, one of your players has made the comparison, i am giving my opinion, I along with others, some post on this board think he is like James McClean, if you troll back throughany of my posts I rarely take the piss.......

I know all that man. Can you not just froth at the mouth like your brethren?

Plus you never debated my other points regarding your so called scouting in France?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back