Watches

They are also much more accurate than Rolex, Audemars, Patek, Omega etc.
And they aren't the size of a small alarm clock.
Our lasse's Rolex must lose about a minute a week, always has. she took it to the shop in Darlo where we bought it and they want £500 to service it . Can you recommend somewhere cheap we could take it to ?

Thinking about a Casio smart watch
I've got a Casio Worldtimer, cracking little cheap grab and go watch that you don't worry about knacking. Wife hates it mind, says it looks awful but she just doesn't get the retro cool. Just canny go wrong with a little Casio digital or a g-shock for the rough stuff.

I had 3 Seikos, over a long period of time .up till about 20 years ago . I paid roughly £100 for them . They are a fortune now .
I bought my first Seiko in 1972 in Dubai for £20. It was before Dubai had electricity and the watch was Japan domestic market. I've still got and it's going strong, never maintained or looked after. My old engine-room watch. I've a few others to keep it company but they do make decent tool watches. Unless you're up in the Grand Seiko or MarineMaster range they're not particularly suited to mollycoddling. Just wear them.

Logon or register to see this image

They are also much more accurate than Rolex, Audemars, Patek, Omega etc.
And they aren't the size of a small alarm clock.
I would disagree. Seiko's quality control is famously poor at the budget end.
Our lasse's Rolex must lose about a minute a week, always has. she took it to the shop in Darlo where we bought it and they want £500 to service it . Can you recommend somewhere cheap we could take it to ?
£500 is about the going rate for an accredited service (movement swap).

Unfortunately not.
To be honest though 1 minute a week is quite accurate for a Rolex.
I bought my first Seiko in 1972 in Dubai for £20. It was before Dubai had electricity and the watch was Japan domestic market. I've still got and it's going strong, never maintained or looked after. My old engine-room watch. I've a few others to keep it company but they do make decent tool watches. Unless you're up in the Grand Seiko or MarineMaster range they're not particularly suited to mollycoddling. Just wear them.

Logon or register to see this image

I would disagree. Seiko's quality control is famously poor at the budget end.

£500 is about the going rate for an accredited service (movement swap).
I bought a Seiko Quartz watch in 1981.
It gains around 4 seconds a week.

Last edited:
Nowhere will be cheap to service a Rolex. The price is not reflective of the amount of work they are doing but the risk they are taking. If they damage it then it will be pricy to repair or replace.

If you are not comfortable paying a few hundred plus for a service then sell it and buy a Seiko which will probably be more accurate.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not.
To be honest though 1 minute a week is quite accurate for a Rolex.

I bought a Seiko Quartz watch in 1981.
It gains around 4 seconds a week.
What do you expect a quartz watch to do? It's dictated by the laws of physics not the skill of the watchmaker or manufacturer.
Nowhere will be cheap to service a Rolex. The price is not reflective of the amount of work they are doing but the risk they are taking. If they damage it then it will be pricy to repair or replace.

If you are not comfortable paying a few hundred plus for a service then sell it and buy a Seiko which will probably be more accurate.
If you want accuracy, buy a Casio G-Shock. All things mechanical fail eventually.

Last edited:

Back