Waste pipe problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

An old time-served plumber friend who has over 45 years of house plumbing experience- why?

So just have a look at the set-up of older houses (which he would have worked on) - all the toilet waste go into a separate soil pipe don't they? And the waste water from wash basins/baths and showers go into a separate drain? - The two don't mix until out of the house and down into the drains.

Maybe modern houses have adapted an age-old working practice of having a separate drainage up until the drain/sewers. You might know different eh?
Your getting slightly confused with “ surface water “ , rain water etc , that goes into seperate drains outside the property . Bath , basin, shower and even kitchen waste including washing machine waste go into either an external gulley or if internal , into the 4”/110mm soil pipe that takes the toilet waste as well, have done since time immemorial, where do you think the waste goes from the above in blocks of flats and numerous installations that don’t have external walls ?

Your getting slightly confused with “ surface water “ , rain water etc , that goes into seperate drains outside the property . Bath , basin, shower and even kitchen waste including washing machine waste go into either an external gulley or if internal , into the 4”/110mm soil pipe that takes the toilet waste as well, have done since time immemorial, where do you think the waste goes from the above in blocks of flats and numerous installations that don’t have external walls ?

I hear what you're saying marra, but I was only passing on comments from an old plumber mate of mine, in the hope of helping out the O.P. who has the problem INSIDE of his house.
That is where the root cause of it is - the fact that these cowboys have fucked up with their attempt at plumbing and the shite etc from his soil pipe has backed- up into his bath - which should NEVER happen.
Simply due to the two being mixed under the floorboards of his bathroom instead of outside where they can join the main sewer/drains.
As I say, and has been mentioned by others, the housing regs have changed since the 60's when my source of info was learning his trade.

Systems in flats/tower blocks were NOT in the O.P.'s post by the way, but I do take onboard of what you and others say, but is irrelevant I this post.

As an aside - would you personally mix the waste water/grey sewage from baths/showers/wash basins into your toilets soil pipe INSIDE your own house?
I am sure I wouldn't.

And it's you're;)

I was thinking exactly the same.

All our sink and bath pipes connect to the soil stack.

INSIDE your house - or outside - which is my point here.

I hear what you're saying marra, but I was only passing on comments from an old plumber mate of mine, in the hope of helping out the O.P. who has the problem INSIDE of his house.
That is where the root cause of it is - the fact that these cowboys have fucked up with their attempt at plumbing and the shite etc from his soil pipe has backed- up into his bath - which should NEVER happen.
Simply due to the two being mixed under the floorboards of his bathroom instead of outside where they can join the main sewer/drains.
As I say, and has been mentioned by others, the housing regs have changed since the 60's when my source of info was learning his trade.

Systems in flats/tower blocks were NOT in the O.P.'s post by the way, but I do take onboard of what you and others say, but is irrelevant I this post.

As an aside - would you personally mix the waste water/grey sewage from baths/showers/wash basins into your toilets soil pipe INSIDE your own house?
I am sure I wouldn't.

And it's you're;)
INSIDE your house - or outside - which is my point here.

Am 65 , retired plumber/heating engineer, yes I have no issues with running bath/shower waste pipes "INTERNALLY" into an internal 4" "soil" pipe, that is standard practice for internal waste removal and complies with all building regs. Depending on the individual property the 4" pipe can be installed inside or outside of the property , if its inside then standard procedure would be to connect other smaller waste pipes into it. That is how it is done. The OP's pipework most likely just doesn't have the correct "fall" on it's horizontal run , or as has been posted , someone in the family is putting the "wrong" articles down the toilet.

The OP's pipework most likely just doesn't have the correct "fall" on it's horizontal run , or as has been posted , someone in the family is putting the "wrong" articles down the toilet.

The OP mentions in post #32 that the sink & bath waste pipe goes into the soil pipe, but it is in so far that it stops the flow inside of the soil pipe.
Agree, that the wrong items do not help matters.

As I mentioned earlier, none of the houses around here have their waste water from their bathroom joining into the soil pipe - these were built in the late 50's early 60's - so the old building regs will have changed - as someone else has kindly mentioned.

I will see my old marra later today, and we shall be having a pint and discussing shite pipes:cool::lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back