Was Bobby Robson a Geordie?

Never really heard the term "mackem" until the 1980's.

In teh 1970s, the whole of the NE were called geordies, even people from Sunderland.
Should we take the moniker back? Fight them for it? Or are we happy being Mackems? Got to be better than being called a Sand Dancer

I'm from Houghton like so makes no odds to me I always say I'm from Co. Durham when away.

No...he was a traitor to his county neighbours and heritage...Born and lived just outside Durham but chose to follow and promote the auld enemy. ...scandalous!

Steve Bruce was hounded out of SAFC because he was a geordie, allegedly.

A Geordie from fcking Corbridge...

Yeah, I know - definitions were different, especially pre that horrible wankerJohn Hall.
Steve Bruce was born in Corbridge only because the maternity unit in Newcastle was full. His parents were living in the West End of Newcastle at the time. They then moved to Daisy Hill in Walker where he grew up.

Should we take the moniker back? Fight them for it? Or are we happy being Mackems? Got to be better than being called a Sand Dancer

I'm from Houghton like so makes no odds to me I always say I'm from Co. Durham when away.
No odds to me. I'm a Newcastle supporter from Chester.

Beencalled a "Geordie" wherever I've lived and worked all over the world but venomously denied it every time, saying I was from Durham and not Newcastle and I'm from near Consett!!

Beencalled a "Geordie" wherever I've lived and worked all over the world but venomously denied it every time, saying I was from Durham and not Newcastle!
Did you get the Pink Panther shite as well?
Ha...I did indeed...Worst was sitting at a cancer auction/do at the Gosforth Park at a table with an elderly woman, and some family members and had the same argument when she Sid we we Geordies...my response was severe and direct denying it profusely...only to find out later it was Lady Elsie and her direct family....:)

He was absolutely a Geordie.
Arguably one of the finest. I don't know many Mackems who have a bad word to say about him.

He also grew up in a time where the vast majority of people form the North East were "Geordies".
Apparently even Sunderland fans were singing about being geordie in 1973.
Geordies here
Geordies there
Geordies every….. where
La la la la la la

He was absolutely a Geordie.
Arguably one of the finest. I don't know many Mackems who have a bad word to say about him.

He also grew up in a time where the vast majority of people form the North East were "Geordies".
Apparently even Sunderland fans were singing about being geordie in 1973.
If you have ever met him do not be fooled by the personna that most would have you believe of him...

I don't think so. I was going in the Fulwell End at the back on the left hand side in the later 1960s and we sang it then.
And why not...we could... "Blaydon is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England, and historically in County Durham."....albeit usually sung by visiting Jacobeans!

Last edited:

Back