Was Bobby Robson a Geordie?

He was absolutely a Geordie.
Arguably one of the finest. I don't know many Mackems who have a bad word to say about him.

He also grew up in a time where the vast majority of people form the North East were "Geordies".
Apparently even Sunderland fans were singing about being geordie in 1973.
I would counteract that with Ha'way the lads was said all over the north east until the Geordies decided they didnt like the idea of anybody but them using it and howay was taken up. Watched a repeat of Alan Partridge and the geordie lad on there (yes I know he isnt a real geordie) said haway the lads. Us adopting mackem is no different to fans in the south east distancing themselves from everybody being a cockney. No issue with Mr Robson being a geordie but had he beem a mass murderer or paedo def would have been a mackem. They pick and choose, Durham county cricket tick, Frankland prison, full of mackems apparently.

No he wasn't but he was a Newcastle supporter.

We have never been Geordies as far as I'm concerned - I also say I'm from County Durham when asked, bristle at being labelled a Geordie, always have, as did my Dad.

Absolutely nothing against Sir Bobby, a gentleman and a good man of the North East of England, shame he crossed to the dark side.
This.

I was born in Sunderland and am 52 years old. I have never ever ever classed myself or people from Sunderland as Geordies.

Interesting how the micro definition of everything has grown over the years & now we have more super fragmentation & technical definitions in everything from the social media philosophers. I've lived all over the NE (and the country), & like others I only heard the term Mackem for the first time in the early 80's, in the NE we now have to spell Howay, Haway, Away differently depending on the river you live on, away fans used to sing 'we hate Geordies' when visiting Ayresome Park (to which Boro would join in), fans at all clubs across the country used to sing 'Haway the Lads' (or whatever spelling you prefer) and 'You'll Never Walk Alone' too was a general football song never just limited to Liverpool. Are we smarter now or just disappearing up our own asxholes?

Last edited:
Bobby was one of the very best.

The way Newcastle treated him was sacrilege.

Sacriston Durham, just like me from Sunderland, Co Durham..fuck the Tyne and Wear bit.

Back