Was Bobby Robson a Geordie?

Absolute legend and a bloke close to all our Hearts. Few friends and family benefitted from the Bobby Robson wing in the Freeman so I haven't got a bad word to say about him. Class act on and off the pitch and a lovely bloke. RIP Bobby, Tyne and Wear Legend

And why not...we could... "Blaydon is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England, and historically in County Durham."....albeit usually sung by visiting Jacobeans!
But the song is about coming from Newcastle along the Scotswood Road to get there.......

I class myself as neither a Geordie or a Mackem or owt else... I'm a Wearsider!

Plus, I don't care one iota about the OP (not the poster šŸ˜).

SBR was a gent who nearly won a world cup with England and had loads of club success. He simply came back to the North East at the twilight of his career.

Yes, he went to the mags... but... if we had a vacancy, he could have easily come to Sunderland had we shown interest. Then what would he have been saying "I remember as youngun going to watch Sunderland..... yada yada yada"

He's obviously going to play on the Newcastle supporting past whilst employed with them, but I would wager, he probably went to as many Sunderland games as Newcastle one, when a youngun, because that's what they did back in the day. I've spoken to many an old bloke who told me this.

I've nothing but respect for SBR as a man and for his career, the mags up the road seemed to show little respect as they hounded him out, spat on him and made his final days at NUFC rather miserable.

But hey ho... Toon Toon, Black and White Barmy Twats

He was absolutely a Geordie.
Arguably one of the finest. I don't know many Mackems who have a bad word to say about him.

He also grew up in a time where the vast majority of people form the North East were "Geordies".
Apparently even Sunderland fans were singing about being geordie in 1973.
Remember the great Geordies-Mackems chant in the Fullwell, etc in the 80s-90s? Happy days.

We have John Hall to blame for the whole Geordie - Mackey farce. Where NUFC have claimed the term Geordie and it's stuck.

Robson was a great bloke and all that matters.

Customs and labels change over time .. and there are lots of reasons for this .. when england won the world cup in 66 most of the flags at wembley were union jacks not the cross of st george ..people were not bothered about that as labels did appear not to matter so much ,Same with geordie it was a lazy label that was just accepted as most people couldn't care less!Over the years identities have become more important to some and in truth it doesn't really bother me ...well i thought it didnt untill i was listening to the commentary of the Birmingham stream on saturday when the lazy ignorant fecking commentator stated in a matter of fact way that the "people of tyneside" have not accepted Beale as there coach yet !... :evil: :evil:

Im sure that Robson like my father was of the generation that coldnt give a fek about labels as they were not important to them....i was a child of the sixties born in sunderland royal and i never heard the term mackem until i registered my childs birth certificate in alnwick in 1984 when the register said "your a mackem then" i just nodded but the label applied did not really resonate with me.....People can identify as what hey like i dont give a shit and nor should i but lazy labels do my heed in sometimes ...its very clear not all newcastle fans are geordies and not all geordies are newcastle fans but the geordie nation does not exist thats for sure ..well it has no identifiable discrete boundry's thats for certain!

Last edited:
Him and his dad were Newcastle fans. There werenā€™t many living in Langley Park at the time. Him and his wife Elsie were good friends with my mam and dad. Went to each others weddings etc.

We were all geordies then, and sang Blaydon Races at Roker Park.

Then along came John Hall... šŸ˜”
This 1000% also ask Gatesy who's results he looked for at the end of the games when he managed ipswich! He was a football man that went to both grounds to watch football as many did in those days. (Including my dad but he was always for Sunderland) as I recon Robson was the same. But that doesn't suit the rhetoric up the road!

Back