Walking Britain's Lost Railways

I knocked about down there as a kid in the ‘90s. You could see daylight at the end of the right hand tunnel which brought you out at the back of a scrap yard or builders yard.
The left tunnel went much deeper and we never found out how far it went. Always too scared of lads boffing gas.
The left tunnel is the one that comes up behind Hylton Road, you would never even know the tunnel entrance was there now as it has been filled in and covered with grass. The lad actually walks past it on the programme. That was the one known as the darkie, but the tunnel behind the Barnes used to get that as well..

I told @KENT-FTM about the history of the railways in our region a few months ago. It's a pity more hasn't been done to explain on the existing lines to explain what went on. My advice to anyone would be get a bike and go and explore the old lines.

That Beeching has a lot to answer for/lines being reopened again 50 yrs after they were closed.

I was looking at cycleways of the old mineral lines a while ago, came across loads of online info
This one is canny- Herrington Heritage » Railways

Fascinating. I ride a lot of these tracks on my bike. I'll have a full read of that later.
I was looking at cycleways of the old mineral lines a while ago, came across loads of online info
This one is canny- Herrington Heritage » Railways

Fascinating. I ride a lot of these tracks on my bike. I'll have a full read of that later.
Never quite sure if all the disused railway lines round our way are a great asset to the region or a sign of a fallen area. As a cyclist though, it brings its own benefits.

Just need sustrans to convert the leamside line...

This. It seems taylor made for cyclists and walkers to get plenty of miles in.

Last edited:

This. It seems taylor made for cyclists and walkers to get plenty of miles in.
I'm sure there's talk of reopening it as part of the metro expansion.
I don’t think it’s the metro that would reopen it. Back in the day it was sometimes used as backup to the ECML and whislt mothballed, it’s on some potential transport (mainline rail) vision that sees it held over for something that will never happen.

*as I understand it (vague as I am)

havent seen this yet, going to watch it tonight when i get in.

Did it show the philadelphia line? great history that having the Sir Nigel Gresley (Mallards sister train) along that line back in the early 70s

havent seen this yet, going to watch it tonight when i get in.

Did it show the philadelphia line? great history that having the Sir Nigel Gresley (Mallards sister train) along that line back in the early 70s
My Dad worked as a fitter there and our next door neighbour drove it out when it was finished... with me next to him on the footplate. 1976 I think it was.

Back