Walking Britain's Lost Railways

The engine shed was round the corner from the Boys Club. Was Vardy’s for a while (relatives of the car business Vardy’s). Criminal that they allowed the place to be demolished. It should have been listed. They could have kept the shell and built apartments or offices inside.
Is that what is or was lyons garage? Frankie t had it in the 80s.

I think you are correct on this...
The Boys Club has some covenant on it which said it had to be some kind of benefit to the community. Not sure if it had an expiration date on it.
Is that what is or was lyons garage? Frankie t had it in the 80s.
Aye. Vardy’s removals had it for years then it was some kind of garage for a while then stood empty a few years before they pulled it down and built houses on the land.

Last edited:
The Boys Club has some covenant on it which said it had to be some kind of benefit to the community. Not sure if it had an expiration date on it.

Aye. Vardy’s removals had it for years then it was some kind of garage for a while then stood empty a few years before they pulled it down and built houses on the land.
Frankie worked at dawdon pit. I went through for a new tyre in the 80s off him, and the building did look like a loco shed.

Fucks sake. Just googled it and it's on here in the interesting photos thread. It was the engine works.

Last edited:
Just looked on Google-earth and the Boys Club was the white building from 'Interesting Photographs' which is now an empty space to the side and behind Lyons Cottages (I think...it was on my paper round!) The engine shed must have been the red-brick building round the corner on the road to Murton, where Lyons Gardens is now.
Should have called it Stephensons' Place! The first railway in the freakin' WORLD!

Just looked on Google-earth and the Boys Club was the white building from 'Interesting Photographs' which is now an empty space to the side and behind Lyons Cottages (I think...it was on my paper round!) The engine shed must have been the red-brick building round the corner on the road to Murton, where Lyons Gardens is now.
Should have called it Stephensons' Place! The first railway in the freakin' WORLD!
Yip. On all counts.

A bloke called Arty used to have the farm which was round the back of the engine shed but you got to via the road to the side of the Boys Club. Fairly sure his surname was Stephenson now I come to think of it so it would have had additional significance.

Last edited:
Yip. On all counts.

A bloke called Arty used to have the farm which was round the back of the engine shed but you got to via the road to the side of the Boys Club. Fairly sure his surname was Stephenson now I come to think of it so it would have had additional significance.
It pains me to say it but Stephenson is a canny common surname. They must have hardly slept with all the inventing railways by day and all the bucking by night.

Arthur Stephenson was Arty, he used to have a racehorse as well iirc?

Robert Stephenson (Georges Brother) used to have one of the Lyons cottages by the Boys Club and the Boys club used to be Hetton Railways Offices.
Criminal that is was all allowed to be demolished with the history it had.
Yeah he had a racehorse. I was never sure if he was, or was related to, a semi famous racehorse trainer of the same name, originally from Bishop. Their family were farmers.

Cheers. I live close to the entrance to that line. I am going to give it a go sometime.

Run it a lot. Go the other way all the way to Hart Station (through Haswell, Shotton, Wingate, Castle Eden) or you can branch off towards Stockton past Hurworth Reservoir. Love the lines.

Run it a lot. Go the other way all the way to Hart Station (through Haswell, Shotton, Wingate, Castle Eden) or you can branch off towards Stockton past Hurworth Reservoir. Love the lines.
How far is it to run? Been getting out a bit recently and looking to build my distance but get socks of running round the lake in the country park.

How far is it to run? Been getting out a bit recently and looking to build my distance but get socks of running round the lake in the country park.

As far as you want. It's 2 miles to Seaton, 4ish to Ryhope. Murton to Haswell is about 2 miles but you've got about 11 miles from Murton to Hart Station. If you wanted some loops rather than out and backs let me know and I can send you some canny routes.

Haswell to Hart is a good walk. I can remember Thornley Station and Crossing which were between Shotton and Wingate. Massive, magnificent crossing gates. The days when we built stuff. Sad that they're gone.

Back