Walking Britain's Lost Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was two stations at ryhope. One on the coast line, and one on the line to seaton.
Used to venture up to Burdon Village from Doxy when I was a kid, if you headed down the lane towards Ryhope Dene past the farm there used to be a sign for Seaton Station, we never got that far, Wheatman from the farm always used to give us a chase if we crossed his path 😂

If you are talking about the tunnels at Lambton staithes they were blocked up in the late 60s. One went to Wellington Lane behind Simpson Street school and the other went to the riverside opposite Wearmouth Colliery.The last train from Pallion to the staithes was in 1967
The tunnels on the programme didn't used to be blocked off by gates, you could go in maybe 50ft then the tunnels were blocked with earth & rubble, was back in the early 90's when I had a rake about whilst out with the dog down there.

Was a good watch. It’s crazy that nothing is made of the fact that Hetton built the worlds first railway. There should at least be some sort of statue or replica locomotive set up.
Haven’t seen the programme yet but is that the same Harold Watson who went on to be under-manager at Eppleton? If so he worked with my Dad at both Dawdon & Eppleton. They lived in our street in Hetton, we knocked around with his kids.
Watched it tonight and it definitely looked like Harold Watson but he said he used to live at the bottom of The Downs ( which he may have done) and also that he worked at Elemore ( again he may have done as it closed in 74) but he never mentioned Eppleton

Last edited:
The tunnels on the programme didn't used to be blocked off by gates, you could go in maybe 50ft then the tunnels were blocked with earth & rubble, was back in the early 90's when I had a rake about whilst out with the dog down there.

I knocked about down there as a kid in the ‘90s. You could see daylight at the end of the right hand tunnel which brought you out at the back of a scrap yard or builders yard.
The left tunnel went much deeper and we never found out how far it went. Always too scared of lads boffing gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back