Walkers Crisps Peterlee

Status
Not open for further replies.
has it shut today? i knew it was closing this year but not seen anything on the news.
sad day for everyone affected and i hope they find something else.
Unfortunately.

I think there's skeleton staff in, and the place is being moth-balled for a year in the hope of a buyer coming in. After that it's being knocked down.

Have just heard the distribution part of the site is bought by some logistics company. Don't know how true this is.

I hope everyone gets sorted out and moves onto better things.

Sad news for everyone who works there. Hope you have all managed to find something else xx
As much as you know something like this is coming, and I don't work there personally, it still feels like a kick to the gut.

Best of luck everyone.

And I hope everyone in here buys their crisps from other companies in future
We need to buy more Walkers so they have to increase production. Sounds wrong, but perhaps only that in the first place could have saved it.

Sadly this is something that looks set to increase following Brexit.

I’ll now get called insensitive by all the Brextits.

How long before employees becomes benefit scrounging scum?

Universal credit will help them, when it's processed in February

Until then, they should know how to budget, cook pans of soup and Bolognese

Anyone care to give them any more expert advice?

You seem to be doing fine;)

As much as you know something like this is coming, and I don't work there personally, it still feels like a kick to the gut.

I don't live near or have family who work there, but it still feels like a kick in the gut losing it from our area.

It's the little things as well, like my Dad used to work nearby and used to guess what crisps they were making by what he could smell when he opened the classroom window! It must be a loss like when Vaux closed and you didn't get the ale brewing smell anymore.

They also need to know what financial assistance is available while they wait for their claim to be processed, ie housing benefit, council tax benefit, help with utility costs and cash loans.

I don't live near or have family who work there, but it still feels like a kick in the gut losing it from our area.

It's the little things as well, like my Dad used to work nearby and used to guess what crisps they were making by what he could smell when he opened the classroom window! It must be a loss like when Vaux closed and you didn't get the ale brewing smell anymore.

everybody in peterlee knew somebody who knew somebody who worked at the crisp factory, we used to always get loads of 'seconds' as did probably everyone else in the area.
the tudor/smiths/walkers crisp factory is part of peterlee as are djb/caterpillar, nsk, dewhirst etc. might only be factories and places of work but it goes deeper than that.
very sad.

everybody in peterlee knew somebody who knew somebody who worked at the crisp factory, we used to always get loads of 'seconds' as did probably everyone else in the area.
the tudor/smiths/walkers crisp factory is part of peterlee as are djb/caterpillar, nsk, dewhirst etc. might only be factories and places of work but it goes deeper than that.
very sad.

My brother in law has just been paid off from there. I worked there during the school holidays forty years ago, and my ex also worked there. Two nieces have done holiday work there as well.

They also need to know what financial assistance is available while they wait for their claim to be processed, ie housing benefit, council tax benefit, help with utility costs and cash loans.
Yes of course, all given at the drop of a hat, instantly.

In the real world that simply does not happen. Try it, you will see

Yes of course, all given at the drop of a hat, instantly.

In the real world that simply does not happen. Try it, you will see
They should budget better

I used to drive past the place every day when I lived down there. The daughter in law knows loads who worked there. A sad day for the area and a bitter blow for those who lost their jobs.
She can tell them about soup and Bolognese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back