Wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything costs tuppence here mate. £18k will be entry level help desk though.

I have to admit I do miss how easy it is to live on much less back home. If I could make what I make here and live in Sunderland area that might convince me it is time to come home.

I have to admit I do miss how easy it is to live on much less back home. If I could make what I make here and live in Sunderland area that might convince me it is time to come home.

I know mate. The average wage around here is shocking but I reckon the standard of living is still canny enough, especially if you're a two income family. A couple of professionals could have a great quality of life in the North East.

I know mate. The average wage around here is shocking but I reckon the standard of living is still canny enough, especially if you're a two income family. A couple of professionals could have a great quality of life in the North East.

I was never a 2 income household when I was in the North East, that said I was out of there not long after I turned 19... When I move to Florida in a few years time I will know what it is like to be in a cheap area to live on 2 incomes..

I was never a 2 income household when I was in the North East, that said I was out of there not long after I turned 19... When I move to Florida in a few years time I will know what it is like to be in a cheap area to live on 2 incomes..
Are you thinking about settling there mate? Might join you one day, canny climate to retire to.

Are you thinking about settling there mate? Might join you one day, canny climate to retire to.

Just waiting for the kid to get through his schooling and we are out of here. At the moment we are thinking Sarasota County about half an hour south of Tampa on the gulf coast. Should be able to sell the current gaff and then buy with the equity we have with no mortgage payments. Sets us up for the rest of our lives to be honest.

Been at the same large IT company 9years now and these sort of threads and "shit wage" comments are starting to catch my wage such is the lack of rises over the years. If it wasn't for on call topping mine up I'd be long gone.

Sigh.
That is almost identical to the situation I was in. I was there for over 10 years and my base salary was shit but the on call added up to a grand each month so I stuck it out. Eventually they sorted my base salary out to match my job title. I moved teams into a new role about 4 years ago and it's like working for a different company. Glad I stuck it out otherwise I wouldn't have the job I have now.

That is almost identical to the situation I was in. I was there for over 10 years and my base salary was shit but the on call added up to a grand each month so I stuck it out. Eventually they sorted my base salary out to match my job title. I moved teams into a new role about 4 years ago and it's like working for a different company. Glad I stuck it out otherwise I wouldn't have the job I have now.
Giz a job. ;)

The threat of redundancy was hanging over me earlier this year, so I started to look around for similar roles as mine and the salaries were £15-20k less than what I was picking up at the time, I was looking at contracting and living away mon-fri to pull in decent money.

Luckily I was offered a new role in current organisation so managed to maintain things, but was shocked at some of the money on offer.
Clear ya inbox marra.

Not that much better tbh the North East gets seen off in the contracting sector also, You can earn better money elsewhere (Speak from experience)
True. I'm not inclined to do that yet..........maybe wait until my daughter hits her teens

Nice one, thank you.

I get circa 33k a year, but I’m only 22. Work 24 weeks a year on a 2 on 2 off basis, get all travel to and from work paid for, get all food paid for at work. Uniform paid for. I’ve got 30k worth of external training courses booked in next 2 years which are industry recognised. Just trying to work out if I am being hard done by or not:lol:

In the north east that's a decent salary regardless of your age.

As others have said though, depends on your outgoings/circumstances/lifestyle. Also, having worked on both sides, I'd aways sacrifice a good few grand for flexi time for example, so working conditions are as important as coin to me.

In fact as long as I can get on a couple of holidays a year, pay the bills and have a few quid for a beer or two I just want a piss easy job/life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back