Voting - Growth

Picture of the Month - March?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Although I've picked 4 this month my top pop pick is carty's - absolutley love the colours in in the picture.

Next up was APB's - love the interpretation on the theme and the actual shot itself.

The next two were tied and were Spav and Janie.

If i'd have picked 5 Crazylegs would have took next spot - thought the pic was great and an honorable metion to Will cos that pic cracks me up every time I look at it.

Thought I knew who I was going to vote for, but there are some pearlers amongst the late entries. Well done all - in hindsight I don't think it was the best theme, probably a bit too similar to 'Earth' - but there are some cracking interpretations of the theme all the same.

3 votes from me again, as follows;

Superkev - Thought this was beautiful. There were a few really nice shots along similar lines that I considered (Cartman's specifically), but I thought that this was the most compelling of all the entries along these lines.

APB - I remember reading the description of this before seeing the shot and thinking that it was a good idea, and I think the execution / title was great. I also liked Thankheavenforshed7's shot which was a superb take on a similar theme, but APB's just edged it for me.

Keeps21 - There were a few excellent 'set up' shots this month - bernardbreslaw's Russian Dolls, clyde's flowers and Ghost of EH7's books especially - but I really like the melancholy of Keeps21 shot, plus there's something very pleasing about the desaturated tones of it all. I think this is probably my favourite this month overall.

Cheers mate - first my first bash I'm chuffed to bits with my effort (and our lass is sick of me already :lol:)

Last edited:
Just spotted what EH7 was going to post - I'm taking my votes back and lumping them all on him just for getting his missus to pose :lol:

Thank you so much Janiep.

I grew little seeds to a larger size = growth (??) and photo'd both sizes. And thank you too for your kind comment. :-D

Ah, that explains it then.

Fantastic shot peachbum. You certainly have a talent in this "genre" which is a style I really like. The creative mind at work.

I have gone for Not Spavins, 2 different interpretations of the theme as well as humourous.
Still dont agree with multiple voting though, one man one vote.

I grew little seeds to a larger size = growth (??) and photo'd both sizes. And thank you too for your kind comment. :-D

Although it's a nice abstract shot it needed too much explaining for me - I didn't know what it was until I read the discussion thread and without that it doesn't suggest growth at all.

Great shot though. :)

Reet then I though the Birdman's was the clear winner this time around and Cartman & Janie's a close fight for the remaining medal places.

I think you lot would be better with a three points for the winner award and two single point nominations. A system with different people having differing amounts of votes is just plain silly.

Goodbye and youve all done verrrrry wellllllllllll. *dodders of in a young mr grace style*

Cartman because it's a cracking foto

Rosscoah - ditto

Cheers fella!

My votes were as follows, in order of preference.

1. APB - Great shot, fantastic contrast of colour and a very clever take on the theme, top marks.

2. Mercia Blackcat - Love this. Credit where its due to Tunstall Birdman for the idea. Love the way the trees are sort of encircling the sun, for some reason this reminds me of Watership Down?!?

3. - Cartman - Really interesting subject matter, great colours. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of the fallen tree to really get the Death & life thing across but a great shot regardless.

Like most others have said, they could have voted for a lot more but obviously the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I can see a pattern emerging here, January I got my SLR out and took quite a tricky (but last minute rushed) picture of a bird in flight getting some food - 2 votes.

February - I took a picture with my compact remotely and I wasn't even touching the camera or framing the image - 6 votes

This month, I got the SLR out again and spent an age taking quite a few different photos and then on my final one getting the depth of field how I wanted it and the growing bit sharp - 0 votes so far.

Next month, I think I will get my mobile phone out and throw it up in the air randomly :lol:

Seriously, it is fascinating watching the votes emerge and peoples reasons for them. Obviously my photos are the best ;) but I can be impartial on the other entries and each month there has been entries I personally love that have fallen well short in the vote.

Seriously, it is fascinating watching the votes emerge and peoples reasons for them. Obviously my photos are the best ;) but I can be impartial on the other entries and each month there has been entries I personally love that have fallen well short in the vote.

I would agree with that.

I see I can vote for who I like and it won't make any difference to who wins (I shouldn't think) as it looks like most of the votes are in already.

Here goes all my thoughts and votes (apologies for misspelled names)

Rosscoach/ Roger/SuperKev/GramW/Cartman/JanieP

I found all the above a little obvious/uninspiring as interpretation of growth -

Rosscoach/Roger/SuperKev - all well taken photos, but if you were flicking through a photography book, you would be on the next page within seconds wouldn't you?
Cartman - the potential/probable winner so what do I know (smily not allowed!) Well spotted red thing, but you got help from the board with this picture didn't you? :) But congratulations on your probable win :)
JanieP - I really like the composition of your picture (and last month) I however don't like the colours and would have liked to have seen it in black and white - a potential winner then
GramW - I like that you kept the branch in, it gives context to your shot and holds the eye longer.

Trees

Tapeisafc - well spotted, but comes across as a grab shot with nothing else in the picture (or cropped out) - if that makes sense
Tunstall Birdman - love it (perhaps kept whole of tree on the right in the picture)
Mercia Black Cat - love it (perhaps crop a little off the bottom)
Not Spavin - a double interpretation - 100years growth and the growth over the chair - very good BUT so disappointing after your first two months pics, cigarette buts, squashed crocuses, poor light and angle all let you down this month for me
Grwoofwoofgrowl - I really like the composition of the photo with all the new trees growing across the front of the photo, the castle peeping through etc, it holds the attention but the light lets it down

The Rest

I liked the original ideas of the following:-

CrazyLegs - The best growth >> a child - lovely execution aswell - Picture of the Month for Me
ThankHeavenShed7 - looks not quite real? good thought processes and well taken
GhostofEH7 - well taken, good idea, but pictures of books has no wow factor (sorry :cry: )
WillD - Original, tells a story, holds the attention, lose that ugly wood strip in the background next time and don't vote for yourself!!
Bernard Bresslaw - original, colourful, like it
Keeps21 - excellent photo, really like it, but doesn't quite meet theme (argueable? I know)
Clyde - ignored this as three pictures, but I can see the effort.
APB - Love this, couldn't you have put a (in focus)pregnant cat on one of the boat seats for near perfection :) - that there was no one thing in focus (I know it was a painterly style?) just meant that there was no-where for the eye to rest which was a little unsettling (and that tall building disappearing out of the top of the picture) I am being hypercritical because I do really like the picture.

Mine
Well I decided the magnolia blossom wouldn't be out in time, as I know a tree that would have provided the perfect photographic opportunity. Then I was thinking of an expanding girth and went round ruining my son's belts (making all the notches look worn) to be photographed alongside a new pair of jeans (being too small), but that didn't look that great, so did my growing water seeds instead.

Found it quite hard to select this month as there were some good shots and I think virtually everyone met the theme, but I have gone for (a)CrazyLegs child picture (b) a combined vote at Mercia's request for Tunstall and himself and (c) for the "phone" picture from WillD

I would have also voted for APB's, but as I have really liked his pictures so far I feel he is likely to win a vote from me in a future month.

Good luck everybody in Obsolete round.

I see I can vote for who I like and it won't make any difference to who wins (I shouldn't think) as it looks like most of the votes are in already.

Here goes all my thoughts and votes (apologies for misspelled names)

Rosscoach/ Roger/SuperKev/GramW/Cartman/JanieP

I found all the above a little obvious/uninspiring as interpretation of growth -

Rosscoach/Roger/SuperKev - all well taken photos, but if you were flicking through a photography book, you would be on the next page within seconds wouldn't you?
Cartman - the potential/probable winner so what do I know (smily not allowed!) Well spotted red thing, but you got help from the board with this picture didn't you? :) But congratulations on your probable win :)
JanieP - I really like the composition of your picture (and last month) I however don't like the colours and would have liked to have seen it in black and white - a potential winner then
GramW - I like that you kept the branch in, it gives context to your shot and holds the eye longer.

Trees

Tapeisafc - well spotted, but comes across as a grab shot with nothing else in the picture (or cropped out) - if that makes sense
Tunstall Birdman - love it (perhaps kept whole of tree on the right in the picture)
Not Spavin - a double interpretation - 100years growth and the growth over the chair - very good BUT so disappointing after your first two months pics, cigarette buts, squashed crocuses, poor light and angle all let you down this month for me
Grwoofwoofgrowl - I really like the composition of the photo with all the new trees growing across the front of the photo, the castle peeping through etc, it holds the attention but the light lets it down

The Rest

I liked the original ideas of the following:-

CrazyLegs - The best growth >> a child - lovely execution aswell - Picture of the Month for Me
ThankHeavenShed7 - looks not quite real? good thought processes and well taken
GhostofEH7 - well taken, good idea, but pictures of books has no wow factor (sorry :cry: )
WillD - Original, tells a story, holds the attention, lose that ugly wood strip in the background next time and don't vote for yourself!!
Bernard Bresslaw - original, colourful, like it
Keeps21 - excellent photo, really like it, but doesn't quite meet theme (argueable? I know)
Clyde - ignored this as three pictures, but I can see the effort.
APB - Love this, couldn't you have put a (in focus)pregnant cat on one of the boat seats for near perfection :) - that there was no one thing in focus (I know it was a painterly style?) just meant that there was no-where for the eye to rest which was a little unsettling (and that tall building disappearing out of the top of the picture) I am being hypercritical because I do really like the picture.

Mine
Well I decided the magnolia blossom wouldn't be out in time, as I know a tree that would have provided the perfect photographic opportunity. Then I was thinking of an expanding girth and went round ruining my son's belts (making all the notches look worn) to be photographed alongside a new pair of jeans (being too small), but that didn't look that great, so did my growing water seeds instead.

Found it quite hard to select this month as there were some good shots and I think virtually everyone met the theme, but I have gone for (a)CrazyLegs child picture (b) a combined vote at Mercia's request for Tunstall and himself and (c) for the "phone" picture from WillD

I would have also voted for APB's, but as I have really liked his pictures so far I feel he is likely to win a vote from me in a future month.

Good luck everybody in Obsolete round.

What do you mean by this comment PB? The only help I got was to put up a few of my photos and asked for comments, I have only been taking photos for a year and really it's only since the competition started that I am getting to know my camera. As for it being a little obvious, I feel it meets the theme perfectly as it is new growth coming after death but hey I am just a beginner.

Peachbum I really appreciate your comments on mine, it has really given me something to think about. I have to say I also like the way you give feedback on the rest - there's a proper critique happening there. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit it's no doubt intended.

Thanks for the feedback peach, unfortunately the cats over here are mainly strays and I would rather fear for my life if I tried to impregnate one :lol:

As for the building going out the top of the frame - grrrrr! I just couldn't get enough of the boat in AND the top of the building, the boat was ultimately the centre piece so I just rolled with it. I would have also like to have it in focus a little more but there ya go!

I will get a vote off you one day! :lol:

Peachbum I really appreciate your comments on mine, it has really given me something to think about. I have to say I also like the way you give feedback on the rest - there's a proper critique happening there. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit it's no doubt intended.

I 2nd that

Ok then I voted for 2 this time around.

Not Spavin
&
Cartman

Both of them have great colours, I loved the effect on Spavs photo, I also liked the tree, ground, little flowers, tree growing over the seat, just really nice effect.

On cartmans again, I love the colours, if anything I would have tried to get rid of the purple flowers up in the top left so my eye was focused solely on the bottom half of the image. Never the less a really nice photo.

Good luck everyone but looks like Cartmans stole this one :mad:

Yes, I thought about that PB but decided against it. Think you're right.

Good critique as usual from you.

The Peachbum Meldrew perhaps?

What do you mean by this comment PB? The only help I got was to put up a few of my photos and asked for comments, I have only been taking photos for a year and really it's only since the competition started that I am getting to know my camera. As for it being a little obvious, I feel it meets the theme perfectly as it is new growth coming after death but hey I am just a beginner.

Hmmmm, was the one you picked included in that process?

Fair enough I suppose but a bit like playing to the gallery ;)

No pun intended.

Good shot though, you're doing well mate.

Last edited:
I heard a rumour that Cartman is about receive a points deduction after going into administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back