Voting - Growth

Picture of the Month - March?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Congratulations to Cartman on his convincing victory in the March competition.

Cheers mate, I am really pleased to have won to give me a chance at the prize at the end of the year. To spend a day with a pro photographer would be an incredible experience.

Well done to everyone else too, there were some lovely photos this month. I have no clue on the theme for May so don't hold your breath :lol:

And a Crocus, I believe. Got these in the garden as I'm lazy so like bulbs.

Ignore the debris round the base, I'm a lazy photographer too. wysiwyg.

Logon or register to see this image

Ah, the Irish Daffodil, so name because the BASTARD English took all the real Daffodils in 1921.

Cheers mate, I am really pleased to have won to give me a chance at the prize at the end of the year. To spend a day with a pro photographer would be an incredible experience.

Well done to everyone else too, there were some lovely photos this month. I have no clue on the theme for May so don't hold your breath :lol:

Well done fella, richly deserved. :-D

Ah, the Irish Daffodil, so name because the BASTARD English took all the real Daffodils in 1921.

Aye, I can see the similarity like.

But mine were all born in Wales. My mrs wouldn't have it any other way as she has transplanted part of Wales to England. I've hundreds of the fuckers but I like them so who's complaining.

Ah well, another month beckons.....

Good stuff Cartman. Worthy winner. Great entry in January too

yea well done mate, really please for you.... cunt :lol:

:lol:

Same here mate, not a clue for this month, need to get out and about for inspiration!

the only things I can come up with quite obvious like old phones, buildings, industry. Have visit planned to Beamish in a couple of weeks so there may be something there

For anyone interested in the stats after 3 months:

Number of entries:

18 for January
20 for February
19 for March

31 Different posters

Entrants:

12 entered for three months
03 entered for two months
16 entered for one month

Voters:

73 for January
43 for February
32 for March

For anyone interested in the stats after 3 months:

Number of entries:

18 for January
20 for February
19 for March

31 Different posters

Entrants:

12 entered for three months
03 entered for two months
16 entered for one month

Voters:

73 for January
43 for February
32 for March

Interesting, thanks for that.

I think this month's theme should get a lot of entries, and therefore more votes. The Growth theme was a bit to similar to Earth, in retrospect.

I've noticed that there are one or two 'lurkers' amongst the voters, so it'd be nice if the theme inspired them to give it a go.

So far there is a solid core of about 15 entrants with 4 new entrants for March that hopefully will continue.

So around 20 entries a month looks a reliable base line for now.

There was bound to be extra interest in the first month for voters though.

I've noticed that there are one or two 'lurkers' amongst the voters, so it'd be nice if the theme inspired them to give it a go.

Good point.

Mobile phone entries most welcome. Don't even need a camera.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you for that. I do it in good spirit, then I think it may be taken the wrong way. But if I just go lovely, lovely, lovely it would be a bit pointless. I also try to remember who is new to photography and who has what camera/experience etc. There are professionall photographers with top notch equipment right down to novices with camera phones. So I weight the theme meeting quite heavily.

Peachy - I hope I didn't take your critique the wrong way. My reading of it was that, as I'm a newbie to this game (i think i took the pic after two whole weeks experience) you thought that although the pic wasn't overally original that it was good enough to be in a book. Please don't tell me I mis understood as I've told our lass and me mam :oops::oops:

Thanks for some of the lovely comments, I'm a complete novice with no idea about technique and no way of photoshopping the photo, I wouldn't even know how to crop it!! Hopefully this will give me the motivation to learn more.

Gutted I didn't vote FWIW my vote would've went to ThankHeavenForShed7 - Growth?.

Thanks for some of the lovely comments, I'm a complete novice with no idea about technique and no way of photoshopping the photo, I wouldn't even know how to crop it!! Hopefully this will give me the motivation to learn more.
If the above is true, you have a natural eye for a good photo ......

Peachy - I hope I didn't take your critique the wrong way. My reading of it was that, as I'm a newbie to this game (i think i took the pic after two whole weeks experience) you thought that although the pic wasn't overally original that it was good enough to be in a book. Please don't tell me I mis understood as I've told our lass and me mam :oops::oops:
I think your picture is very good in the following ways: it meets "growth", it appears to my untrained eye to be technically good (but there are others who are more qualified to confirm or deny), but I don't like the blue bit in the bottom left hand corner. I can imagine this in a magazine or book as an example of close-up photography or nature or something. I didn't rate it because the picture itself bored me (sorry but cornflakes on sticks don't do it for me and it was an "obvious" choice for the growth theme). Look at the photos that fell outside of obvious and trees. But if you have only been taking photos for 2 weeks and you can produce a shot like that, then good on you, because I don't think I could.

Tell your lass and mam that peachy thinks you're great! ;)

So far there is a solid core of about 15 entrants with 4 new entrants for March that hopefully will continue.

So around 20 entries a month looks a reliable base line for now.

There was bound to be extra interest in the first month for voters though.

Good point.

Mobile phone entries most welcome. Don't even need a camera.

I only use my mobile phone, its a Samsung Corby, and is decent enough, I can't compete with the proffessionals on here though.

If the above is true, you have a natural eye for a good photo ......

Tis true - just got the camera at the end of Feb after getting some coin for me birthday.

These competitions are really helping me 'think' about what I'm going to shoot and getting me out and about with the camera. The downside is that because I'm new to this that most of the things I'll be shooting will fall into the 'obvious' because I'm trying to get used to the camera and also taking pictures. Hopefully things may change when I get more experienced but it depends on how imaginative I can be.

I know this wan't for me but who cares
but I don't like the blue bit in the bottom left hand corner.

I must have looked at the picture 30 or 40 times before I posted it and a fair few times since and i never actually noticed that until you pointed it out - I've docked the sub editors wages.

Tell your lass and mam that peachy thinks you're great! ;)

That's all that matters :lol:

Last edited:
I only use my mobile phone, its a Samsung Corby, and is decent enough, I can't compete with the proffessionals on here though.
I'm not going to say equipment makes no difference, because it does :lol:

But, that's the beauty of it. If you meet the theme beyond the obvious then you'll have a chance at picking up the votes. I think there's been some really good entrys over the past few months by people with great technique, equipment etc... but because they've failed to think out of the box they probably haven't got as many votes as they might.

Keep at it mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back