Voting - Growth

Picture of the Month - March?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I thought about that PB but decided against it. Think you're right.

Good critique as usual from you.

The Peachbum Meldrew perhaps?

Hmmmm, was the one you picked included in that process?

Fair enough I suppose but a bit like playing to the gallery ;)

No pun intended.

Good shot though, you're doing well mate.

Thanks, I took loads of photos of the same thing from many different angles, probably about 200 shots and and at the time I think I had just looked at it too many times and they all kind of merged. The one I entered was one of the 1st ones I took as I had intended on putting the whole stump in as it looked really different.

Learning curve though, nowt like playing to the gallery though :lol: plenty other people put a few shots up before entering and most of you are more experienced than me

I heard a rumour that Cartman is about receive a points deduction after going into administration.

and I bet you started it mate :lol:

Not Spavin - a double interpretation - 100years growth and the growth over the chair - very good BUT so disappointing after your first two months pics, cigarette buts, squashed crocuses, poor light and angle all let you down this month for me

The crocuses (they're actually daffs I think) were squashed by my own knee in an attempt to avoid landing in dogshit ;)

Agree with your criticism in the main. I shot this at midday, so the light was pretty harsh. That dictated the angle somewhat - I wanted to get enough definition on the bench so you could see what you're looking at, while also getting the new flowers in the foreground to tell the story. In order to get any kind of contrast, I had to underexpose it, then mess around with the levels after the fact. I had intended to shoot the scene again later the month once the flowers had bloomed, but they're all dead now.

Wasn't especially happy with the result, surprised to get any votes at all tbh.

The crocuses (they're actually daffs I think) were squashed by my own knee in an attempt to avoid landing in dogshit ;)

Agree with your criticism in the main. I shot this at midday, so the light was pretty harsh. That dictated the angle somewhat - I wanted to get enough definition on the bench so you could see what you're looking at, while also getting the new flowers in the foreground to tell the story. In order to get any kind of contrast, I had to underexpose it, then mess around with the levels after the fact. I had intended to shoot the scene again later the month once the flowers had bloomed, but they're all dead now.

Wasn't especially happy with the result, surprised to get any votes at all tbh.

They're crocuses. Points off for botanical ignorance.

What do you mean by this comment PB? The only help I got was to put up a few of my photos and asked for comments, I have only been taking photos for a year and really it's only since the competition started that I am getting to know my camera. As for it being a little obvious, I feel it meets the theme perfectly as it is new growth coming after death but hey I am just a beginner.
I'll see if I can find what I meant.
And it does meet the theme perfectly, it is growth! I just classed it in the "first thought" category. I enjoyed the photos that fell outside the "obvious first thought" more. It's just me. :)

Peachbum I really appreciate your comments on mine, it has really given me something to think about. I have to say I also like the way you give feedback on the rest - there's a proper critique happening there. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit it's no doubt intended.
Yes, thank you for that. I do it in good spirit, then I think it may be taken the wrong way. But if I just go lovely, lovely, lovely it would be a bit pointless. I also try to remember who is new to photography and who has what camera/experience etc. There are professionall photographers with top notch equipment right down to novices with camera phones. So I weight the theme meeting quite heavily. I have used a film camera for a few years but only really as a mother and holiday snapper. I am using this competition a little bit to stretch me and to learn about the digital camera I have borrowed, it is only a £100 point and shoot thing but it still has quite a few things on it that I'm still learning about.

I really like looking at "pictures" however produced and often go to galleries ( think some of Picasso is rubbish :oops: too.)

To Cartman - this is what I meant:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47682169@N05/sets/72157623476973933/

"love the colours .... my suggestion would be experiment moving the large red thing (flower/mould?? sorry) to an off centre position........."
You: "Can't really do that as it was taken in Scotland last week, it's a mushroom by the way"

Then you posted your picture as suggested.

Peachbum I really appreciate your comments on mine, it has really given me something to think about. I have to say I also like the way you give feedback on the rest - there's a proper critique happening there. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit it's no doubt intended.

Agreed, keep them coming Peachbum. They are only one persons opinions, but if people love or hate my pictures, I want to know why that is the case.

Agreed, keep them coming Peachbum. They are only one persons opinions, but if people love or hate my pictures, I want to know why that is the case.
Thanks - I feel a bit dubious, because I haven't agreed with any of the winners yet (ThankHeavenShed7, Roger and CrazyLegs being mine so far), so obviously I see something different in pictures. But as you say, it is only one person's opinion and you'll either agree or disagree with me. I am enjoying the competition and am now going round looking for "obsolete" things. Got one idea but how to incorporate it and make a picture, not sure yet.

Thanks - I feel a bit dubious, because I haven't agreed with any of the winners yet (ThankHeavenShed7, Roger and CrazyLegs being mine so far), so obviously I see something different in pictures. But as you say, it is only one person's opinion and you'll either agree or disagree with me. I am enjoying the competition and am now going round looking for "obsolete" things. Got one idea but how to incorporate it and make a picture, not sure yet.

I think Crazylegs has been undermarked in a couple of entries. IMHO of course.

I agree (I would as he is my picture of the month), I voted his picture last month as well as I thought it was very good. I think there are about 3-6 more photographers out there who I hope will get recognised with a "winning" photo for the end of year vote. So we have to hope that no-one gets a second winning shot, leaving perhaps a place for the rest of us!:cool::)

I agree (I would as he is my picture of the month), I voted his picture last month as well as I thought it was very good. I think there are about 3-6 more photographers out there who I hope will get recognised with a "winning" photo for the end of year vote. So we have to hope that no-one gets a second winning shot, leaving perhaps a place for the rest of us!

Guess that rules me out then :lol:

I'm surprised you haven't picked up more votes to be honest as your last two entries have been very creative and outstanding.

I rush into things too much but then I don't have to think about it much after or wait for good light.

Now I just wander round my garden most of the time but don't like picking the flowers. I wandered lonely as a cloud, as they say. So for best runner up award imo a Daffodil from my garden for PB. ;)

Logon or register to see this image

Guess that rules me out then :lol:

I'm surprised you haven't picked up more votes to be honest as your last two entries have been very creative and outstanding.

I rush into things too much but then I don't have to think about it much after or wait for good light.

Now I just wander round my garden most of the time but don't like picking the flowers. I wandered lonely as a cloud, as they say. So for best runner up award imo a Daffodil from my garden for PB.
:-D:-D Thank You Mercia Blackcat! That is really sweet.

And my meldrew on that picture (take is the best possible way) - It's a floating daffodil!:lol: I love daffodils, right up there with my favourite flowers.

(I didn't name the 3-6 photographers for a very good reason!)

I love his photo, the only reason it never made my final vote was I didn't feel it met the theme as well as others.

I know many will disagree with this, I'm almost disagreeing myself.... but there's just something missing to hit the theme where I say "that really represents growth".

Like I say, lovely photo though and I may pinch the idea for some of my little nieces and nephews when I go home :lol:

That's the way to do it.

I like the colours.

This should confuse not spav, a Narcisus from my garden. :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Why is there always a slight breeze when I try to photograph daffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back