Voting - Growth

Picture of the Month - March?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought I knew who I was going to vote for, but there are some pearlers amongst the late entries. Well done all - in hindsight I don't think it was the best theme, probably a bit too similar to 'Earth' - but there are some cracking interpretations of the theme all the same.

3 votes from me again, as follows;

Superkev - Thought this was beautiful. There were a few really nice shots along similar lines that I considered (Cartman's specifically), but I thought that this was the most compelling of all the entries along these lines.

APB - I remember reading the description of this before seeing the shot and thinking that it was a good idea, and I think the execution / title was great. I also liked Thankheavenforshed7's shot which was a superb take on a similar theme, but APB's just edged it for me.

Keeps21 - There were a few excellent 'set up' shots this month - bernardbreslaw's Russian Dolls, clyde's flowers and Ghost of EH7's books especially - but I really like the melancholy of Keeps21 shot, plus there's something very pleasing about the desaturated tones of it all. I think this is probably my favourite this month overall.

Just the one vote for me this month and that goes to Cartman. Like the colours, the composition and I think the very shallow depth of field really adds to the photos. It was pretty hard to pick a winner and I have to commend APB (the sort of theme I fancied but couldn't get anything), Keeps21 (a very close second great colours and mournful effect) and Crazylegs (nice interpretation of the theme and great composition)

Now all the photos are in, I am finding it hard to choose, because nearly all the photos have something to commend them, originality of thought, a well taken photo etc, and then I don't want to go too many votes because it softens the vote, so will probably go three votes rather than a vote for nearly every photo. I will try and point out something I don't like about each picture as well, but please take this positively not as a criticism.

superkev and janiep are getting my vote this month.

Both are just really nice to look at.

Especially like the colour and vividness of superkev's as well as that little bit of 'mystique' it has.

Really like the composition and patterns in janiep's.

Special mention for spav's, good find - I've got a similar shot somewhere of a tree growing around a 'no fishing' sign that's been nailed to it for years.

Three votes from me this month. This has comfortably been the toughest month to choose so far. There are some good interpretations of the theme, but what really stands out is the quality of the photography this month. Some of the pictures, theme aside, are stunning. I almost wasn't going to submit an entry becasue the standard was so high.

Anyway, my votes:

APB - Excellent interpretation of the theme and a really nice image. I would've liked more of the boat to be in focus, but it's still a really nice photo.

Cartman - A very aesthetically pleasing image. An excellent picture.

EH7 - Nice interpretation of the theme, very well executed.

OK, I liked a lot of these shots but eventually limited myself to 5 votes:

APB: I liked both the idea and the execution, it really tells a story and the use of the blue water to break up the shot worked very well.

keeps21: Great theme and I liked the use of shadow to darken the mood. Very well lit. This would have been the stand out shot for me but I find myself being distracted by the dark outlines on the light coloured leaves, but that's a minor niggle.

peachbum: Great use of colour and DoF. I didn't know what I was looking at until it was explained in the other thread but I immediately liked the abstract nature of the shot.

janiep: I liked the contrast between the man made angular shapes and the natural growth, as well as the muted colours. Strangely for me, the bird shit wasn't distracting at all.

Crazylegs: That one just worked for me. Technically it's blown out at the top right and I can see what I suspect is the photographer in the reflection but it has a kind of vibrance that I love, a kind of awe of what's out there to learn.

Honourable mentions too, to SuperKev and Cartman. These were the other two I'd have voted for had I not limited myself to five, and I had to think long and hard about my reasons for choosing the ones I did. Well done everyone.

janiep: I liked the contrast between the man made angular shapes and the natural growth, as well as the muted colours. Strangely for me, the bird shit wasn't distracting at all.

Cheers! I decided to leave the bird shit on because:

1. it's all part of the cycle of growth - I doubt we'd have such rich and interesting lichen on the roofs round our way if we didn't have tonnes of seagull shit, and

2. I wouldn't know how to retouch the shot to get rid of it anway ;)

I voted for clyde, the idea of using light painting was sublime and humorously done. Honorable second for spavin's tree.

Wonder how long it'll take for Spav to get the mind games going this month...

I'm adopting an Avram Grant style dignified silence this month. I don't have a prayer of winning, so I'll keep quiet and maybe visit a brothel for a gob job.

I've cast 4 votes - I meant to stick to 3 but it was just impossible. Frankly, I could have voted for more, and I hope those who don't get many votes aren't discouraged because the standard is very high.

Anyway, my reasons:

Tunstallbirdman: I love natural looking photos; it's personal taste but I prefer them to ones that have been through "post production". I thought this beautifully captured the end of a northern winter. I have to say I loved Mercia Blackcat's too, but he did say to give any votes for him to Tunstallbirdman, so I did!

Peachbum: I just love that photo.

Cartman: of all the "natural" ones I thought this stood out because of the unusual subject and the vividness of the colour.

Crazylegs: it can be difficult to get a fresh slant on a shot of a child, but I thought Crazylegs managed it.

I've cast 4 votes - I meant to stick to 3 but it was just impossible. Frankly, I could have voted for more, and I hope those who don't get many votes aren't discouraged because the standard is very high.

Anyway, my reasons:

Tunstallbirdman: I love natural looking photos; it's personal taste but I prefer them to ones that have been through "post production". I thought this beautifully captured the end of a northern winter. I have to say I loved Mercia Blackcat's too, but he did say to give any votes for him to Tunstallbirdman, so I did!

Peachbum: I just love that photo.

Cartman: of all the "natural" ones I thought this stood out because of the unusual subject and the vividness of the colour.

Crazylegs: it can be difficult to get a fresh slant on a shot of a child, but I thought Crazylegs managed it.

Which I think is fair enough in this particular instance as tb's shot was such an original idea right from the start and I was more influenced by that than the actual topic. Credit where credit is due although I don't think that criteria applies to other similar entries on a theme of growth. Thanks for the comment though.

It's the taking part that counts...;)

I voted for yours for the reasons I said in the other thread, that it was natural and spontaneous looking but the patterns and general composition were very good.

I thought peachbum's was again an excellent shot and she really seems to have a knack for this type of shot but I wasn't sure how appropriate to the theme it was.

Ah well, maybe I'll try and be more original next month. :lol:

I admit, mine was rushed this month and taken with a phone camera, I said I was going to have lots of time to think about it but this month has flew over, well done to all the rest though, I promise to make more of a conscientious effort next month.

I agree with the herd so far, it has to be Cartman's month. Love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back