Villiers Street

What’s the crack with them horizon appartments Moldovan lad at work lives there

Contract with the council to shove people in. 200 flats £500 per month per studio. That's £100,000 annually to put all the crackheads and its paid for by the council.

And people think the area's gonna get cleaned up when you have 1 building grossing £100,000 to house them all. Not a chance while the place exists. And that's the reason why police are obligated to turn up twice a day. And then you got the 2 hostels on the corner.
Council know fine well who they're putting in there, Police even know who's in there - Crack dens, heroin dens the lot. Police can't search without a warrant and need evidence the studio is being used as a den so its a complete cycle which will never end.
Edit: I did my maths wrong and forgot to times by 12 for 12 months a year - It's grossing 1.2 million a year.

Last edited:

Imagine this was a select part of town, housing industrialists and there senior workers ( basically those who could read and write ) back in the day. I think returning this area to its former glory is a pipe dream though. These areas in the past would've housed shops, pubs, people, a community so to speak, safe and secure. Now with our shopping habits, online and retail parks, drinking at home, everything seemingly produced abroad, holidays abroad, what is there left apart from housing to be able to regenerate inner city areas like this. Sunniside looks great, but is underused. There is just not enough wealth to go around, to be able to return every former city centre street to its former glory. The well off, now want to live in the suburbs, countryside or a mile high up in the sky, and there are just too many poor people around today, and I expect those figures to increase in future, add to that those with mental health and drug problems and immigrants, there is very little chance IMO of turning its fortunes around. 40 years of political mis-management in this country and across the Western world, and these are the problems we have as a society created. Every town, city wants to be the centre of attention, but its not possible. Towns like Sunderland were working towns, Newcastle was the big city, for tourists, now with no real industry in places like Sunderland, every town/city wants to be the No 1 tourist destinations, swanky apartments, restaurants, hotels, etc etc, but there is isn't the money around to sustain them.

Contract with the council to shove people in. 200 flats £500 per month per studio. That's £100,000 annually to put all the crackheads and its paid for by the council.

And people think the area's gonna get cleaned up when you have 1 building grossing £100,000 to house them all. Not a chance while the place exists. And that's the reason why police are obligated to turn up twice a day. And then you got the 2 hostels on the corner.
Council know fine well who they're putting in there, Police even know who's in there - Crack dens, heroin dens the lot. Police can't search without a warrant and need evidence the studio is being used as a den so its a complete cycle which will never end.
Edit: I did my maths wrong and forgot to times by 12 for 12 months a year - It's grossing 1.2 million a year.
500 a month isn’t that cheap Jesus

Field Music have a recording studio on Villiers St. The auctioneeers will be taken over by a drama company. Some of the flats in Sunniside will be used by ESports. Things are happening slowly but it‘s not easy, but if they keep working on the surroundings then the critical mass might go in the right direction.

Huge plans

house types
The precise mix will be determined throughout Stage 2+, however for the purposes of the bid please assume:
• 48 two-storey houses – made of two house types
• 32 Duplex – made of two duplex types

For ‘Stage 2+ Concept Design & Planning’ – Assume appointment end of May and submission of planning
beginning of August.

Also a load of new commercial outlets focused on culture and creativity.
The new development is between high street west and coronation street, both N & V.

Last edited:
I was just wondering what a Villier is, as I know other Villiers Streets etc elsewhere in the UK. I was thinking it must be an old profession or something. The only thing Google quickly told me about is an aristocratic family called Villiers. Wonder what their connection would have been to an unassuming street in the East End of Sunderland?

Villiers St was one of the most important streets in old Sunderland before the economic centre of the town shifted and the middle classes moved further out. It was the first street in the town to be paved.
Mate of mine bought his first house down there years ago , Deerness park iirc.

Sold his house at a canny loss a few years later.

Deerness Park is nowhere near it.

Last edited:
I live a couple of minutes walk away, and the difference between the area of Sunniside I live in and that area with all of the scratters is worlds apart.
True, My mam (bless her) worked in The Manor Hotel for many years & I used to pop in in for free beers & free parking round the back ( very handy on match days). Never had no bother.
They then relocated to Norfolk Street & it went down hill very quickly, Smack heads, glue sniffers, All kinds of shit going on so I was very rarely in.
The two premises were only 150 metres apart as well, It was like hopping in to a portal & entering a different universe.

True, My mam (bless her) worked in The Manor Hotel for many years & I used to pop in in for free beers & free parking round the back ( very handy on match days). Never had no bother.
They then relocated to Norfolk Street & it went down hill very quickly, Smack heads, glue sniffers, All kinds of shit going on so I was very rarely in.
The two premises were only 150 metres apart as well, It was like hopping in to a portal & entering a different universe.

The Manor hotel was a hovel too by the end of its days. I used to gan in the bar regular when I lived in Sunderland in the 80's and it was a canny place. Came back for the Pompey 4-1 game in 1993 not realising it had been turned into a doss house and it was one of the grimmest hotel stays I've ever had. Had blokes asking me and my mates for any leftovers from our breakfast. They got turfed out at 10am and had to walk the streets too early evening.

The Manor hotel was a hovel too by the end of its days. I used to gan in the bar regular when I lived in Sunderland in the 80's and it was a canny place. Came back for the Pompey 4-1 game in 1993 not realising it had been turned into a doss house and it was one of the grimmest hotel stays I've ever had. Had blokes asking me and my mates for any leftovers from our breakfast. They got turfed out at 10am and had to walk the streets too early evening.
Aye the natives were proper scratters like, thankfully didn't see that much of them as they were scattered around the town, The Norfolk Hotel was a different ball game all together :eek:

INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND

Nile + Villiers will be a residential-led development of approximately 80 homes and around 400sqm of commercial space on a designated brownfield site in Sunniside, Sunderland.

The development is intended contribute to the emergence of Sunniside as a creative living and working neighbourhood in the city centre with a strong presence of artists and makers by offering high-quality new homes for sale and rent in the heart of the city.

This is a significant project for Sunniside and the wider city centre, bringing forward a high-quality scheme with high levels of environmental and social sustainability. The project is an important part of the City Centre Housing Ecosystem alongside the Housing Innovation & Construction Skills Academy (HICSA) and the Vaux Neighbourbood, and is partially funded by DLUCH's Levelling Up Fund following the Council's successful bid in 2021.

The vision for Nile + Villiers as a new residential neighbourhood for a creative community originated with local charity Back On The Map, and has been co-created with local people through extensive engagement. Through continued engagement with local organisations and the creative community we will identify future residents of Nile + Villiers who will input on the design of shared spaces and have an active role in the stewardship of neighbourhood assets.

Nile & Villiers Streets existed long before the Anglo-Egyptian war and even the opening of the Suez Canal (they're on an 1857 map of Sunderland I have).

Tel-el-Kabir and Cairo streets in Hendon are named after battles in the Anglo-Egyptian war.

It'll be named after one of the Earls of Clarendon I reckon, who were all prominent politicians from the late 1700's to the mid 1800's.

I'm at my mam's and she has a history book with the names of Sunderland's streets in, I decided to have a look.

Villiers St: 'built on land owned by the Lambton family, named after Lady Ann Barbara Frances Villiers, wife of William Lambton, father of the first Earl of Durham. It was a high class residential area made up of large houses with coach houses at the rear.'

Nile St: 'named after the victory of Admiral Nelson at the Battle of the Nile or Aboukir Bay in 1798'.

I'm at my mam's and she has a history book with the names of Sunderland's streets in, I decided to have a look.

Villiers St: 'built on land owned by the Lambton family, named after Lady Ann Barbara Frances Villiers, wife of William Lambton, father of the first Earl of Durham. It was a high class residential area made up of large houses with coach houses at the rear.'

Nile St: 'named after the victory of Admiral Nelson at the Battle of the Nile or Aboukir Bay in 1798'.

There's a St Vincent Street and Nelson Street next to each other in Hendon (Nelson Street is now called Nelson Close). Nelson was at the Battle of St Vincent in 1797 but a mere Commodore (Admiral Jervis was the top man). Also I don't think the street was first built in 1797 so was an honour to the battle and man at a later date. Other battle names around Sunderland are Inkerman/Alma St (Crimea) and Mafeking/Kimberly St (2nd Boer War), Waterloo Place and Trafalgar Square. I suspect there will have been others that no longer exist.

I suspect Coronation Street is in honour of King George 3rd or 4th rather than Victoria.

Back