Villiers Street

You should see how much is owned by Cayman island registered companies. Across the whole of the UK mind but I was surprised at how much in Sunderland.

Walked down there today. Almost forgot it existed, east end of town. Any plans to upgrade here and nile Street areas? Could be a good place for the more Arty area of town like pop recs.
Used to a nightclub there , Club 11 , had a gambling License.
First pint was in Villiers 1s 7p , it used to full of Apprentices on dinner time from Villiers St collage .

The predecessor of Southmoor Academy on Ryhope Road used to be in Villiers Street . It was an all boys school then and was designated as a Technical School (one below a Grammar School) after the Butler Education Act in 1944 and became known as Southmoor Tech. When the school moved its present location around 1960 it dropped the Technical School bit and just became Southmoor School for Boys. The idea of Technical schools didn't last long as they all aspired to be Grammar Schools and like Grammar Schools they did "O" and "A" Level courses after 1951 and had Sixth Forms. Those days you had to pass your 11+ to get in and I believe that it was the last selected school in Sunderland to become a comprehensive - and of course at that time it also became mixed sex. It was a good few years after the Bede went comp in 1970 and had its until then seperate boys and girls schools joined together.

I remember that in the early 60's when I started there some of the school's books were still stamped "Villiers Street School for Boys".

The predecessor of Southmoor Academy on Ryhope Road used to be in Villiers Street . It was an all boys school then and was designated as a Technical School (one below a Grammar School) after the Butler Education Act in 1944 and became known as Southmoor Tech. When the school moved its present location around 1960 it dropped the Technical School bit and just became Southmoor School for Boys. The idea of Technical schools didn't last long as they all aspired to be Grammar Schools and like Grammar Schools they did "O" and "A" Level courses after 1951 and had Sixth Forms. Those days you had to pass your 11+ to get in and I believe that it was the last selected school in Sunderland to become a comprehensive - and of course at that time it also became mixed sex. It was a good few years after the Bede went comp in 1970 and had its until then seperate boys and girls schools joined together.

I remember that in the early 60's when I started there some of the school's books were still stamped "Villiers Street School for Boys".
I started Southmoor in 69 and although you don't appreciate it at the time we got a good education. I think it was in 74 it changed to a comp when we got Commercial Rd in with us

I started Southmoor in 69 and although you don't appreciate it at the time we got a good education. I think it was in 74 it changed to a comp when we got Commercial Rd in with us
I know it was later in the 1970's that it became a comp because they had to build a huge extension on the adjoing land that almost doubled the size of the orginal buildings.

Come to think of it it was about 1968/69 that Bede became a Comp as I left Southmoor in 1970 and Mr Budge the Bede's headmaster had been transeferd to us a couple of years before -apparently he didn't like comprehensives

I know it was later in the 1970's that it became a comp because they had to build a huge extension on the adjoing land that almost doubled the size of the orginal buildings.

Come to think of it it was about 1968/69 that Bede became a Comp as I left Southmoor in 1970 and Mr Budge the Bede's headmaster had been transeferd to us a couple of years before -apparently he didn't like comprehensives
We had Budgie as head and Jack Pick was his deputy. What you've said about him not liking comps might tie in with his leaving in 1974. Mr Noton became head but I'm not sure where he came from.

It can happen. Places in London 10 times worse have been gentrified

Never gonna happen when council are shoving every tom dick and harry in either 1 of the 2 hostels or the Horizon. It's even got its own Facebook page setup to sniff out who the undercovers are

The undercovers are some of the worst I've ever seen mind. Rocking up in Ralph Lauren jackets patrolling between Borough Road and High Street, try and not make it too obvious.

Never gonna happen when council are shoving every tom dick and harry in either 1 of the 2 hostels or the Horizon. It's even got its own Facebook page setup to sniff out who the undercovers are

The undercovers are some of the worst I've ever seen mind. Rocking up in Ralph Lauren jackets patrolling between Borough Road and High Street, try and not make it too obvious.
Like I say, places in London were ten times worse than this and have been gentrified. It'll happen

Deerness Park isn’t Villiers or Nile street area.
Can understand why he made a canny loss on it.

Deerness Park was originally built as affordable housing to buy. Sadly a lot of it has been sold on again to absent landlords who rent them out. One property featured on Homes Under The Hammer a few years ago. Bought at auction, minimal work done on it and rented out by the southern bloke who bought it.

Like I say, places in London were ten times worse than this and have been gentrified. It'll happen

i might be off the mark here but gentrification in london seems to happen when professionals are priced out of certain areas and move into bad areas resulting in the area improving. young professionals arent really priced out of any area in Sunderland barring a handful of prime spots.

Deerness Park was originally built as affordable housing to buy. Sadly a lot of it has been sold on again to absent landlords who rent them out. One property featured on Homes Under The Hammer a few years ago. Bought at auction, minimal work done on it and rented out by the southern bloke who bought it.
Yeah bet best part of that estate is owned by southern landlords.

We need to stop housing the regions drug addicts and probation offenders in those halfway house HMO around sunniside

It’s not fair on businesses and residents trying to gentrify the area.

How about Northumbria police build a police station down there? It’s pathetic that they abandoned the police station in the centre of Sunderland, in the first place

Back