Villiers Street

I was just wondering what a Villier is, as I know other Villiers Streets etc elsewhere in the UK. I was thinking it must be an old profession or something. The only thing Google quickly told me about is an aristocratic family called Villiers. Wonder what their connection would have been to an unassuming street in the East
ship building I'd imagine. I wonder of a mackem swam the Nile hence Nile st.

Fulwell 73? Not down there, no. Here's what they're doing with it.

That's excellent that. Be the best part of town.
Will be named after the battle of the Nile (1798).
Ah where we tanked the froggies with a sneaky broadside attack.

It is already arty. The amount of smackheads and drug fuelled violence you see is a work of art itself.

Let's be honest, you've got 2 hostels and the Horizon Apartments on Borough Road next door then the Thai massage place which is another term for a brothel, and then the other side you've still got Toward Road which still hasn't lost its reputation, area is a lost cause.
What’s the crack with them horizon appartments Moldovan lad at work lives there

There’s loads of property like this where old families and money have moved away but retain an interest
I think milburn family are an example one of whom is married to Katy razzle from newsnight
I met a contractor in Almaty Kazakhstan once who claimed to have an apartment rented out in Norfolk hotel . can't remember what it's called but is being done up

I met a contractor in Almaty Kazakhstan once who claimed to have an apartment rented out in Norfolk hotel . can't remember what it's called but is being done up
The Norfolk Street Hotel is being done up but don’t think it was apartments previous n think was a doss house for the wonderful people in the area.

That was Murton Street. Think it's a cage fighting school/dance studio nowadays.

Fizzicle, or something i think it was called. Although I seem to recall a story in the echo of another on the corner of Villiers St opposite the horizon building. Didn't operate for very long,

I was just wondering what a Villier is, as I know other Villiers Streets etc elsewhere in the UK. I was thinking it must be an old profession or something. The only thing Google quickly told me about is an aristocratic family called Villiers. Wonder what their connection would have been to an unassuming street in the East End of Sunderland?
Likely named after an Alderman or local face of the time.

ship building I'd imagine. I wonder of a mackem swam the Nile hence Nile st.
Will be named after the battle of the Nile (1798).
It's possibly related to gaining control of the Suez Canal.

Stuart Villiers was a soldier from a military family that served in the region and was a renowned Egyptologist in the mid to late 19th century. I don't know if he did anything heroic but his local knowledge informed British government policy and helped shape the debate when Gladstone was considering whether or not to withdraw the Expedition after wrestling control of the canal from France.

As I said above there are Villiers Streets, Villiers Squares and Villiers Terraces all over the country (there's an Echo and the Bunnynen song called Villiers Terrace about the one in Liverpool). The only one I could see with a definite naming was Villiers Street in London (which runs down the side of Charing Cross station between the Strand and the river) which was named after the 2nd Duke of Buckingham George Villiers in the 17th century. But that's quite a swanky location so you can understand more why it would be named after a toff.

It's possibly related to gaining control of the Suez Canal.

Stuart Villiers was a soldier from a military family that served in the region and was a renowned Egyptologist in the mid to late 19th century. I don't know if he did anything heroic but his local knowledge informed British government policy and helped shape the debate when Gladstone was considering whether or not to withdraw the Expedition after wrestling control of the canal from France.

Nile & Villiers Streets existed long before the Anglo-Egyptian war and even the opening of the Suez Canal (they're on an 1857 map of Sunderland I have).

Tel-el-Kabir and Cairo streets in Hendon are named after battles in the Anglo-Egyptian war.
As I said above there are Villiers Streets, Villiers Squares and Villiers Terraces all over the country (there's an Echo and the Bunnynen song called Villiers Terrace about the one in Liverpool). The only one I could see with a definite naming was Villiers Street in London (which runs down the side of Charing Cross station between the Strand and the river) which was named after the 2nd Duke of Buckingham George Villiers in the 17th century. But that's quite a swanky location so you can understand more why it would be named after a toff.

It'll be named after one of the Earls of Clarendon I reckon, who were all prominent politicians from the late 1700's to the mid 1800's.

Last edited:

Back