Villiers Street

Bald King

Central Defender
Walked down there today. Almost forgot it existed, east end of town. Any plans to upgrade here and nile Street areas? Could be a good place for the more Arty area of town like pop recs.

Walked down there today. Almost forgot it existed, east end of town. Any plans to upgrade here and nile Street areas? Could be a good place for the more Arty area of town like pop recs.
It'll take years before anything is done down there.
My mate had his garage down in Nile Street for years.
The Council were hell bent on getting him out of his unit, and getting the whole street's building demolished.
That was years ago. In it's place is the green belt of derelict land.
That will be like that for donkey's years marra.

BY the way - he got shifted over to the Sheepfolds by the Council - and guess what??? - they are going to knock down the garage where he has now moved into.

Earmarked for housing but no developer wants to take it on due to location. There used to be a few art places in Nile Street but they were only given short leases on premises due to impending demolition and uncertainty. Pretty sure Frankie Styles had a place down there.

The Council were hell bent on getting him out of his unit, and getting the whole street's building demolished.

BY the way - he got shifted over to the Sheepfolds by the Council - and guess what??? - they are going to knock down the garage where he has now moved into.
Progress mate

Progress mate

I was just wondering what a Villier is, as I know other Villiers Streets etc elsewhere in the UK. I was thinking it must be an old profession or something. The only thing Google quickly told me about is an aristocratic family called Villiers. Wonder what their connection would have been to an unassuming street in the East End of Sunderland?

Aren’t fulwell 73 building a studio down there
It’s perfect location for affordable housing as long as they keep the free parking bays

Fulwell 73? Not down there, no. Here's what they're doing with it.

I was just wondering what a Villier is, as I know other Villiers Streets etc elsewhere in the UK. I was thinking it must be an old profession or something. The only thing Google quickly told me about is an aristocratic family called Villiers. Wonder what their connection would have been to an unassuming street in the East End of Sunderland?

Probably none, just named after a prominent person of the time. The streets of Roker are named after prominent late 1800's politicians in Gladstone's cabinet.

I think we'd be surprised at how much aristocracy, rich people down south, owned streets and property in Sunderland City centre. My papa looked into buying a property on John Street 20 odd year ago, and finally got in touch with two ancient women from London who owned it. They said they'd never been to sunderland and had a fair bit property along that street. My papa was putting offers into them, but they just kept telling him they don't want to sell, they don't need the money. It was empty n'all. My mate told me a similar story with that building next to Yates where he had proven. Rich old woman from London pulling the strings, really awkward

I think we'd be surprised at how much aristocracy, rich people down south, owned streets and property in Sunderland City centre. My papa looked into buying a property on John Street 20 odd year ago, and finally got in touch with two ancient women from London who owned it. They said they'd never been to sunderland and had a fair bit property along that street. My papa was putting offers into them, but they just kept telling him they don't want to sell, they don't need the money. It was empty n'all. My mate told me a similar story with that building next to Yates where he had proven. Rich old woman from London pulling the strings, really awkward
There’s loads of property like this where old families and money have moved away but retain an interest
I think milburn family are an example one of whom is married to Katy razzle from newsnight

The Lane-Fox family owned a lot of Seaburn Dene, hence the Lane Arms. Might still be some people paying them ground rent.

Could be a good place for the more Arty area of town like pop recs.

It is already arty. The amount of smackheads and drug fuelled violence you see is a work of art itself.

Let's be honest, you've got 2 hostels and the Horizon Apartments on Borough Road next door then the Thai massage place which is another term for a brothel, and then the other side you've still got Toward Road which still hasn't lost its reputation, area is a lost cause.

Last edited:
It is already arty. The amount of smackheads and drug fuelled violence you see is a work of art itself.

Let's be honest, you've got 2 hostels and the Horizon Apartments on Borough Road next door, and then the other side you've still got Toward Road which still hasn't lost its reputation, area is a lost cause.
I live a couple of minutes walk away, and the difference between the area of Sunniside I live in and that area with all of the scratters is worlds apart.

I live a couple of minutes walk away, and the difference between the area of Sunniside I live in and that area with all of the scratters is worlds apart.

I'm in the area too. There's a sign in book in the Horizon Apartments that a police officer has to sign twice a day the area's become that ridden with trouble.

Meanwhile someone thinks its a good place to be arty.

Last edited:
I'm in the area too. There's a sign in book for the Horizon Apartments that a police officer has to sign twice a day the area's become that ridden with trouble.

It can happen. Places in London 10 times worse have been gentrified

I'm in the area too. There's a sign in book in the Horizon Apartments that a police officer has to sign twice a day the area's become that ridden with trouble.

Awful that, but not at all surprising. Went to the guitar shop just down from there the other night and was honestly expecting to get mugged.

Back