Vikings (TV series)

As someone with a genuine, historical interest in the Viking era, I want to avoid putting my foot through the TV.

Banned list:
  • Warrior women
  • The word "whatever"
  • Victim blaming (wrt Church, Anglo-Saxons)
  • Airbrushing out slavery and human sacrifice
  • Liberties with the settlement of North America

Hmm, give it a watch, you might be pleasantly surprised.

As someone with a genuine, historical interest in the Viking era, I want to avoid putting my foot through the TV.

Banned list:
  • Warrior women
  • The word "whatever"
  • Victim blaming (wrt Church, Anglo-Saxons)
  • Airbrushing out slavery and human sacrifice
  • Liberties with the settlement of North America

There are warrior women but this would appear to be historically accurate - http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/female-viking-warriors-proof-swords
The word "whatever" - autocorrect? If you were going for Viking despite the title the word has never been mentioned in the script.
I can't recall any victim blaming
They have taken slaves & performed human sacrifices
It's set about 100 years too early for Leif Erikson

Isn't it the most historically accurate tv show / film about Vikings ever made?

They have messed up a few place names, particularly Hedeby and its connection to Lagertha and the dead King. They also fecked up the storyline of Sweyn Forkbeard who shouldn't even have had a mention as he wasn't even born at the time yet the wifey of the dead King claimed to have killed him in Sweden.

It will be interesting to see which direction they will use when Ragnar dies. I reckon they will go for the snake pit one instead of the Paris church one as it will make better telly. Either could be correct, of course, depending on which historians and myth you believe.

But these are 'minor' issues in what I still reckon is a great series.

They have messed up a few place names, particularly Hedeby and its connection to Lagertha and the dead King. They also fecked up the storyline of Sweyn Forkbeard who shouldn't even have had a mention as he wasn't even born at the time yet the wifey of the dead King claimed to have killed him in Sweden.

It will be interesting to see which direction they will use when Ragnar dies. I reckon they will go for the snake pit one instead of the Paris church one as it will make better telly. Either could be correct, of course, depending on which historians you believe.

I hate you. :evil:

It will be interesting to see which direction they will use when Ragnar dies. I reckon they will go for the snake pit one instead of the Paris church one as it will make better telly. Either could be correct, of course, depending on which historians you believe.

It was just something I read Alex that said it was the most accurate ever, I didn't check tbh.

I really like it, one of my favourite tv shows around at the minute. Ragnor is a fking bad boy :cool:

Reminds me of erm me :p

I hate you. :evil:

:lol: You know he will meet his Maker at some point. I very much doubt it will be in series three, though as most of the series thus far seem to be based on his exploits.

It was just something I read Alex that said it was the most accurate ever, I didn't check tbh.

I really like it, one of my favourite tv shows around at the minute. Ragnor is a fking bad boy :cool:

Reminds me of erm me :p

He is a legend and can do little wrong. I like his bad arse attitude and his eagerness to know more about all things new and interesting and how he embraces it all. His character is just perfect for telly.

:lol: You know he will meet his Maker at some point. I very much doubt it will be in series three, though as most of the series thus far seem to be based on his exploits.

He is a legend and can do little wrong. I like his bad arse attitude and his eagerness to know more about all things new and interesting and how he embraces it all. His character is just perfect for telly.

I like a few of the characters, he's the best like but Floki is good also. If I'd been around back then Ragnor wouldn't have made it ashore, he was just lucky :cool:

I like a few of the characters, he's the best like but Floki is good also. If I'd been around back then Ragnor wouldn't have made it ashore, he was just lucky :cool:

:lol:

I have liked the bonding between him and Athelstan from their first meeting. It is almost like a sort of an early bromance. The scene in series two where Ragnar asks him if he wants to come home with them or stay with 'your people' and Ragnar's follow-up line made me rather emotional. I blame both my country's history and my own love for the NE for getting a bit teary watching that scene. :oops:

Is this good then? Haven't read the thread in case of spoilers. I watched the first episode or 2 and didn't really get into it.

Don't think there are many if any spoilers in the thread, mate. Apart from mentioning certain scenes that were bound to pop up in a series about Vikings, like the blood eagle scene. It isn't a spoiler as such, though.

Give it a go.

Back