Victory Club

no sympathies for the place. There's been a group of us who have been regulars for a number of seasons (mixture of over and under 30s). We'd be first in upstairs most Saturdays and be back in after the game. We'd chuck a load of money into the jukebox & end up putting a fair bit behind the bar too. These past two seasons they've became arsey about everything. The jukebox was taken out, they've taken 2 of the taps out, they had a 1 in, 1 out system for a midweek game this season leaving half of our group outside whilst the other half had a table to ourselves inside and when we asked for the lunchtime kick off on the tele the other week they said they're not sure if the people downstairs want to watch the early kick off so we're leaving Sky Sports News on. Regulars every weekend for 5+ seasons and they couldn't even accommodate a change of channel for us. :lol:

we've started drinking in the town instead.
Going in every other week for a few hours doesn't make you a regular man. :lol:

Sexist tiley bastards.

Only when you're in :cool:

Never been in :cool:

no sympathies for the place. There's been a group of us who have been regulars for a number of seasons (mixture of over and under 30s). We'd be first in upstairs most Saturdays and be back in after the game. We'd chuck a load of money into the jukebox & end up putting a fair bit behind the bar too. These past two seasons they've became arsey about everything. The jukebox was taken out, they've taken 2 of the taps out, they had a 1 in, 1 out system for a midweek game this season leaving half of our group outside whilst the other half had a table to ourselves inside and when we asked for the lunchtime kick off on the tele the other week they said they're not sure if the people downstairs want to watch the early kick off so we're leaving Sky Sports News on. Regulars every weekend for 5+ seasons and they couldn't even accommodate a change of channel for us. :lol:

we've started drinking in the town instead.

Shite way to treat regulars mind.

Last edited:
There was a time when it was as good as it gets ...

... freshly made stotties, well kept Scotch on draft and a good atmosphere.

But it's become something less and time for us to move on.

Over the last 40 years we've had a dozen 'favourites' and we have fond memories because we chose the right moment to move camp.

Last edited:
Everyone having a go, I'd say every match day is pretty regular.

Staff in my match day pubs recognise me now.

Surely very few people go to a working men's club more than once a fortnight in this day and age?

A huge amount of people only ever visit Sunderland for our matches ....

.... I've never lived closer than 130 miles from the ground.

Why would I, or someone from Peterlee, dream of going for a pint at the Victory.

well considering for a large part of that time we've been travelling from Amble then I'd say 25 times a year is good going. Everything has became hard work for them especially this season so they've lost our custom. If they're closing down then I presume it's not just our custom they've lost this season.
So you just Ambled in and expected the world?

Everyone having a go, I'd say every match day is pretty regular.

Staff in my match day pubs recognise me now.

Surely very few people go to a working men's club more than once a fortnight in this day and age?

don't be silly. You've got to go in 9am-9pm monday-friday to be a regular.

thanks for clearing things up. ;)

Going in every other week for a few hours doesn't make you a regular man. :lol:

i'd suggest that there's probably not many that got in the Victory more than 25 times in a year. It's not exactly going to be rammed during the week is it?

anyway my point was more that everything just seemed to be an inconvenience for them including Sunderland supporters turning up for a pint on a match night.

It doesn’t matter how far you travel, going into a pub 25 times a year is not regularly

I'd say using the same pub for every match day is regular. Especially considering we're talking about the Victory club which will be dead Monday-Friday only ever getting custom on match days.

We found their attitudes to become arsey but obviously you'd know better as per usual.

Last edited:
You're right, WMC are dying, but so are local pubs. There's one pretty local to me and I'm in most Sunday afternoons. The bar is pretty full and the people who are in are in every weekend.

i'd suggest that there's probably not many that got in the Victory more than 25 times in a year. It's not exactly going to be rammed during the week is it?

anyway my point was more that everything just seemed to be an inconvenience for them including Sunderland supporters turning up for a pint on a match night.
The first point is exactly why it's closing I would imagine. Maybe if the staff know the place is a dead horse they're not really arsed about it anymore.

Last edited:
don't be silly. You've got to go in 9am-9pm monday-friday to be a regular.

thanks for clearing things up. ;)

I'd say using the same pub for every match day is regular. Especially considering we're talking about the Victory club which will be dead Monday-Friday only ever getting custom on match days.

We found their attitudes to become arsey but obviously you'd know better as per usual.

I would say going in less than 7% of the time isn’t regularly.
Maybe they just didn’t like the wannabe hoolie look.

Sounds to me like it isn't a w.m. club any more, but a privately owned boozer? If that's the case it probably will close down, cos its old and shabby and there's better boozers to go to. Shame really it used to get rammed upstairs and down on match days, and always had 3 or 4 working the upstairs bar so we always got served sharpish. I remember meeting Reiver and his lads in there years ago, all drinking out of those 4pint jugs, the club always had a money draw and a pint draw, and the gadgey on the mike downstairs announcing spare match tickets as lads turned up with spares. Happy days.

Back