Vaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

James,

I have worked with Architects for years. I'm sorry, but anyone who claims a square box is 'iconic' is selling themselves. Take another look and tell me it's a good design.

I haven't once said it's a good design. The only one calling it iconic is a tin pot radio station trying to get a few clicks on their website.

The current occupiers of that other great monumental eyesore, the civic centre.

A lot of people also love that design and style of architecture.

Aye, but by default, you are arguing their corner? Which one is it?? :lol:

It's your everyday run of the mill office building, you see them in every city in the country. It's fine, it'll bring in workers. The council would have been slaughtered for rejecting this based on how it looks.

A lot of people also love that design and style of architecture.

It's your everyday run of the mill office building, you see them in every city in the country. It's fine, it'll bring in workers. The council would have been slaughtered for rejecting this based on how it looks.

Logon or register to see this image

I would have rejected it. Point blank.

It's not even finished yet. Also not sure what the obsession is with building being obscure shapes.

If the money was available then i'm sure we would all love to see grand victorian/georgian designs once again, but that's not happening anywhere (at best very rare).

It looks awful straight out of the 1960s and buildings like that from that era are being pulled down all over the place now because they are eyesores and cheaply built. But blandness and disregard for architectural merit is the way in Sunderland led by the Council you only have to look at the Civic Centre, 6th form at Park Lane or the metal box on top of the Empire to see that.
The quote that Sunderland Council have done more damage to the city centre than the Luftwaffe managed has some truth in it.

People getting pissed off over an office block design of all things. We're f***ing Sunderland, there's countless other cities like us in the UK, we can't just pick and choose what should and shouldnt be built. Small business owners in the city or looking to set up in the city will be wanking themsleves dry over the footfall a full office block will generate.

It's not even finished yet. Also not sure what the obsession is with building being obscure shapes.

If the money was available then i'm sure we would all love to see grand victorian/georgian designs once again, but that's not happening anywhere (at best very rare).

People getting pissed off over an office block design of all things. We're f***ing Sunderland, there's countless other cities like us in the UK, we can't just pick and choose what should and shouldnt be built. Small business owners in the city or looking to set up in the city will be wanking themsleves dry over the footfall a full office block will generate.

Why? because this demonstrates the extent of our council's ambition. Low quality building, fuck all ambition.

Logon or register to see this image

Look at what Tombola are doing. That's both a quality and sympathetic extension to an existing building. Why accept less?????

Ahhh come on man, its bloody awful. Not a patch on the original plan which was quietly revised, for reasons never explained, into the insipid shoe box it became.
It's honestly not, looks alright with the lights on and trees and stuff added. Yeah the original plan looked a better, but plans change. Originally it was for 2 units iirc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back