Vaux

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s all just a combination of fashion and survivor bias.

Buildings go through a lifespan of being, new and trendy, aging, old and ugly, retro, and then classic. Only the best examples tend to survive into retro and even fewer get to classic.

Most of the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian buildings that we have now are the ones that were high end in their day. This gives rise to “they don’t make them like that any more”, “real skilled tradesmen” etc. We seem to forget that the cowboy builds of the past have mostly been pulled down.

We see it today with a lot of the brutalist architecture being pulled down. I hope we don’t pull it all down as some examples wild be nice to keep.

This building in the OP doesn’t look as though it’s going to win any prizes for design or architecture, but it’ll be functional and probably quite a nice place to work in once done.

It’s all just a combination of fashion and survivor bias.

Buildings go through a lifespan of being, new and trendy, aging, old and ugly, retro, and then classic. Only the best examples tend to survive into retro and even fewer get to classic.

Most of the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian buildings that we have now are the ones that were high end in their day. This gives rise to “they don’t make them like that any more”, “real skilled tradesmen” etc. We seem to forget that the cowboy builds of the past have mostly been pulled down.

We see it today with a lot of the brutalist architecture being pulled down. I hope we don’t pull it all down as some examples wild be nice to keep.

This building in the OP doesn’t look as though it’s going to win any prizes for design or architecture, but it’ll be functional and probably quite a nice place to work in once done.

Bob,

It's meant to be the instigator of investment. It's supposed to attract other companies to decide SunLun is the place to be. I may come across as a twat with my opinion, but 'm not wrong when it comes to (others) poor judgement in our long term goals.

In fairness I'm an urban planning grad so have been knocking around the types most likely to enjoy shit like that. :lol:

Please. Please exercise some common sense and make sure the plan is of high standard. The plans to build are usually watered down so it's up to individuals like you to ensure the quality is maintained.

Architects tend to have high expectations, and the budget is generally far less. Push them.

Please. Please exercise some common sense and make sure the plan is of high standard. The plans to build are usually watered down so it's up to individuals like you to ensure the quality is maintained.

Architects tend to have high expectations, and the budget is generally far less. Push them.

I'm not involved with that shit anymore so don't worry. :lol: I'm a transport planner.

Bob,

It's meant to be the instigator of investment. It's supposed to attract other companies to decide SunLun is the place to be. I may come across as a twat with my opinion, but 'm not wrong when it comes to (others) poor judgement in our long term goals.
Agreed, I don’t think it’s the right building to make a statement with if that was the plan. If the plan was to provide “nice” office space in the centre of a town then it’s ticked the (really rather square) box.

As a follow up point, I tend to work in a variety of offices during the year due to the nature of what I do for a living. The most comfortable ones tend to be the more modern ones. The older ones even if they’ve been modernised aren’t the nicest. One I go to in Glasgow is beautiful from the outside: Rennie Mackintosh in red sandstone, Marble entrance hall, commissionaire in well turned out uniform but the internals of the office space is grim. Conversely, there’s a new build office out at the Gyle in Edinburgh which is a superb place to work: air conditioned, showers, tea lady, plenty parking, sports hall and restaurant. The outside isn’t a design classic though.

The current occupiers of that other great monumental eyesore, the civic centre.
The Civic Centre would be a good lair for a Bond villain. At least when it had the original 70s furniture and mustard coloured carpets, which it still did in the mid 90s. I haven't been in there since then.

Agreed, I don’t think it’s the right building to make a statement with if that was the plan. If the plan was to provide “nice” office space in the centre of a town then it’s ticked the (really rather square) box.

As a follow up point, I tend to work in a variety of offices during the year due to the nature of what I do for a living. The most comfortable ones tend to be the more modern ones. The older ones even if they’ve been modernised aren’t the nicest. One I go to in Glasgow is beautiful from the outside: Rennie Mackintosh in red sandstone, Marble entrance hall, commissionaire in well turned out uniform but the internals of the office space is grim. Conversely, there’s a new build office out at the Gyle in Edinburgh which is a superb place to work: air conditioned, showers, tea lady, plenty parking, sports hall and restaurant. The outside isn’t a design classic though.

The problem, generally, is balancing the budget. Nice exterior; poorer interior. Most modern buildings are well designed from a usage perspective, cant fault that at all. But it would be nice to have a building that looks right aesthetically from the outset. It's not that much more expensive to achieve.

The problem, generally, is balancing the budget. Nice exterior; poorer interior. Most modern buildings are well designed from a usage perspective, cant fault that at all. But it would be nice to have a building that looks right aesthetically from the outset. It's not that much more expensive to achieve.
Incidentally, the civic centre is very user friendly.

And if not reined in can massively go over budget like george clarke regularly does. When public sector projects go over budget theres hell on from the public. So its lose lose either way.

What do you do mate? Out of interest, you seem pretty clued up on this.

Is that likely? I doubt it! It’s a shit name for a card shop that like!
Of course. I’ve heard the radio adverts.

In a right 2 and 8 about not having enough dish for a birthday card? Now you don’t have to. Get yourself down to the 28p Card Shop, New Vaux Building, SR1.
Mention gillythedilf for a free self sealing envelope with every purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back