Vaux

Pity the Council and Siglion didn’t consider using firms on there doorstep to do the facade and glazing works rather than a company from the midlands, however it’s typical that they rather bring in companies from outside than support those creating jobs within.

They encourage local firms to put in tenders but on big things like this they also have an obligation to the tax payer to provide value for money. So if a local firm doesnt meet the criteria or cant do it within budget they dont get the gig

A very good post mate. I agree entirely,

What stands to be seen now is who in the long term say 20 years has the right strategy..obviously the city centres mentioned being improved significantly brings in investment from outside quickly which can or should eventually filter through to improve suburbs..or ours where eventually hopefully our city will improve however whilst waiting for this to happen people havent been forgotten or ignored on outskirts meaning maybe when the city improves the estates are ready for people deciding not to leave school college and flee to london etc and stay here to work and live here instead..maybe people stay after uni or even people from outside area see Sunderland as a place to move too

People won't like it but the metro line basically killed any chance the city centre had.

I mean, most cities are chain shops so I don't see that as a problem but you don't have the higher end ones. It's almost a catch 22 situation really if the footfall is chavs who frequent poundland probably wouldn't go into something like the White Company or similar "aspirational" shops.

Catch 22. The metro provides easy access to Newcasle but the city needs good transport links for it to prosper.

It looks shite but I don't think I've seen many office blocks that I've been impressed by like. It'll bring jobs to the city centre, that's all that matters really.

Exactly, the only places that have fancy office blocks are the likes of London. Most office blocks built around the country will be fairly generic and functional.

People won't like it but the metro line basically killed any chance the city centre had.

I mean, most cities are chain shops so I don't see that as a problem but you don't have the higher end ones. It's almost a catch 22 situation really if the footfall is chavs who frequent poundland probably wouldn't go into something like the White Company or similar "aspirational" shops.
Is aspirational another way of saying "rip off expensive?" You're right the chavs and the non chavs of sunderland wouldn't go into a place like that.
I've been in Barnard castle today and looked around a couple of art shops. One of them was selling small prints in a very cheap looking frame for £78 upwards. So what you were getting was a small print of the artists original work, in other words a piece of printed paper, a bit of wood and a small piece of glass for 78 notes. I'm sure in that London they'd lap up stuff like this, "bought it from a gallery shop and it was expensive which means I'm sophisticated." However the good folk of the NE aren't that stupid.:)

The town centre used to be superb on a night out.
Loads of different great routes and bars - Digbys , 5th Ave, Scott’s , Victoria’s , Fitzys to name a few.
Idols corner used to be rammed , the High Street West / Low Row route was rammed , a great night out.
Really sad how it is now , like a ghost town.
Guessing by those bars you're my age or older. The town isn't a ghost town. Its just people go out much later than we use to. I've got mates who regularly come up for work of a similar age and they love it.

Guessing by those bars you're my age or older. The town isn't a ghost town. Its just people go out much later than we use to. I've got mates who regularly come up for work of a similar age and they love it.

But it's not the same. Meeting your mates at 7:30 in Boulevard then doing the rounds before getting a dorty kebab and waiting 40 minutes in a freezing cold taxi queue isn't the same now. Might be my age and music rather than the quality of the bars.

The drinking hours have ruined town for older people sucn as myself..the youngs uns come out at midnightish therefore its not busy early so traditional drinkers dont bother..therefore town doesnt get as busy as before....really affected my wages also

But it's not the same. Meeting your mates at 7:30 in Boulevard then doing the rounds before getting a dorty kebab and waiting 40 minutes in a freezing cold taxi queue isn't the same now. Might be my age and music rather than the quality of the bars.

40 mins for a taxi???i wish got yr pick of taxis now

The drinking hours have ruined town for older people sucn as myself..the youngs uns come out at midnightish therefore its not busy early so traditional drinkers dont bother..therefore town doesnt get as busy as before....really affected my wages also

40 mins for a taxi???i wish got yr pick of taxis now

Certainly seemed like 40 mins in the depths of January. I even recall when they introduced taxi queue 'doormen' to stop fights breaking out :lol:

Certainly seemed like 40 mins in the depths of January. I even recall when they introduced taxi queue 'doormen' to stop fights breaking out :lol:

Theyve got rid of them bouncers now...seriously tho other than odd occasion maybe boxing day...we are looking for fares as opposed to fares looking for us..better for punters i guess..not for my wages

Well it'll match that indoor footy centre beside the SOL, looks to me like they have put that cheap plastic 'conservatory roof' stuff round the outside. It'll be green mouldy within a few month.

It will look totally different when it’s finished. It’s like saying the shard looked shit when they’d only dug the founds..
look fwd to it

most cities look at converting old buildings like brewerys or try and keep some features, instead ours looks like a retail park already

smacks of small time thinking

anyway , will wait and see

Back