Vaux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you really?....the stadium of light and the Echo24 building :D

I've praised South shields because their seafront development is great and an example of where at least we should be ....i have no opinion, nor care of what else is happening in South shields.

And let's not forget you believe the Civic Centre is well designed building :lol:
Where did I mention Echo24? Seems you're wrong again.

But then again you think a rusty old crane is what we need :lol::lol:

It won awards before the shoebox and cut and paste housing were plonked on.

Also after

Last edited:

Only had time to dip in and out of this thread but have to say I have some sympathy with a lot of what this Moshpit character is saying. Having lived, worked and visited Sunderland all my life I do see the despair, suspicion and dismissal in folk for what it has turned into or what it can become. My own personal grumbles sort of underpin my own general cynicism:
1. Allowing a supermarket to be built on a prime seafront plot.
2. Giving the thumbs up to the grotesque Fat Buddah "slab" spoiling the sea and horizon views
3. The grotesque metal carbuncle attached to the Empire.
4. Building a hotel to mar the sedate views of the Minster.

I could give many, many more examples of bad decision making and sadly it is appalling decisions such as these which colour peoples' perceptions of what the council is capable of or aspires to.
It's easy to dismiss people like Moshpit for his views but if he didn't care or want the best for his town would he bother to write up everything he has? I know many others who's total indifference to Sunderland's plight is far more concerning.

Only had time to dip in and out of this thread but have to say I have some sympathy with a lot of what this Moshpit character is saying. Having lived, worked and visited Sunderland all my life I do see the despair, suspicion and dismissal in folk for what it has turned into or what it can become. My own personal grumbles sort of underpin my own general cynicism:
2. Giving the thumbs up to the grotesque Fat Buddah "slab" spoiling the sea and horizon views

I could give many, many more examples of bad decision making and sadly it is appalling decisions such as these which colour peoples' perceptions of what the council is capable of or aspires to.
It's easy to dismiss people like Moshpit for his views but if he didn't care or want the best for his town would he bother to write up everything he has? I know many others who's total indifference to Sunderland's plight is far more concerning.
Great that someone on the subs bench has time to post this

Agree 100%, when it comes to facing down shit urban planning @moshpit is the hero Sunderland needs

Well I suppose that was a very well thought out and eloquent retort aimed at me. Normally I wouldn't grace such a comment unless it stung. Well it did - for a nanosecond - so good for you.
It's all he does when someone disagrees with his happy clapper view - throws childish insults. Heaven forbid somebody should disagree with Sunderland Council and their vision of dystopia.

I’m only gonna comment as I’ve seen this complained about twice now. It’s a fly-tower. It’s a purely functional addition to allow theatre companies to ‘fly’ acters across the stage (extending the scope of production the Empire can host). It’s not an ‘extension’ or ‘carbuncle’. It wasn’t built with a particular eye to design, rather to allow a further function to the building. I do recall an art competition (it displayed in the Art gallery at the library) to clad the tower in something, but it must have been canned, as nothing came of it iirc.

I’m only gonna comment as I’ve seen this complained about twice now. It’s a fly-tower. It’s a purely functional addition to allow theatre companies to ‘fly’ acters across the stage (extending the scope of production the Empire can host). It’s not an ‘extension’ or ‘carbuncle’. It wasn’t built with a particular eye to design, rather to allow a further function to the building. I do recall an art competition (it displayed in the Art gallery at the library) to clad the tower in something, but it must have been canned, as nothing came of it iirc.

I would love to see them give a 2 year commission to Frank Styles to sort that out.

As you say though....it's functional rather than intended to be aesthetically pleasing

Or as the saying goes "Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion".

The facts are that this is an unfinished building on an unfinished development.

On the original point...it does not look iconic, but it is a landmark for Sunderland and I think we should get behind it. The council should be commended for sinking £20million worth of land assets and £10million in cash into Siglion to get the ball rolling (and in fact they have been commended in industry press)

I heard a rumour that the council were moving into Gilbridge Avenue Police station?

Theyre not. Its in the process of being sold and part of it demolished some time soon for an access road.

I think people over state the primeness of the morrisons site. I think fat buddah looks really smart. How exactly does the travelodge block the minster? Empire whilst ugly does allow them to put on west end shows attracting people into the city.

Last edited:
The facts are that this is an unfinished building on an unfinished development.

On the original point...it does not look iconic, but it is a landmark for Sunderland and I think we should get behind it. The council should be commended for sinking £20million worth of land assets and £10million in cash into Siglion to get the ball rolling (and in fact they have been commended in industry press)

I guess I am just cynical and jaded but a council sinking £30 million of (ultimately) taxpayer's money into anything doesn't fire me with enthusiasm.

Alreet Mosher lad

Alreet Mosher lad
:lol::lol:

I guess I am just cynical and jaded but a council sinking £30 million of (ultimately) taxpayer's money into anything doesn't fire me with enthusiasm.
Like I said, it get's the ball rolling and given that they are a partner in Siglion, I would hope that the financial return alone for City Of Sunderland council is way more than the investment, not to mention the urban improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back